Page 45 of 80 FirstFirst ... 20313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585970 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2373

Thread: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H Development thread.

I just don't want to see another doom and gloom Friday where some of you guys make conclusions not only for the race but for the season too. No way we will be running the upgraded engines on a Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by NyX View Post
    I just don't want to see another doom and gloom Friday where some of you guys make conclusions not only for the race but for the season too. No way we will be running the upgraded engines on a Friday.
    Normally I don't think we'd be running the updated engine on Friday (as we could use previous spec engine to test aero parts and do car set up) but in this case having a brand new updated engine someone would think that we would want to run it to make sure everything is ok, NO?...

Or we could just run it in last free practice.....nobody will know that except Ferrari
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

So, the upgrades intended for Russia originally were meant to be implemented for Spain?
    And, is it really official that we will get new engine upgrades in Russia? If so, how can we not run it on Friday? We will go in qualy with an untested engine? I thought that is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    So, the upgrades intended for Russia originally were meant to be implemented for Spain?
    And, is it really official that we will get new engine upgrades in Russia? If so, how can we not run it on Friday? We will go in qualy with an untested engine? I thought that is not practical.
    The new and improved engine was probably tested for many,many hours on the dyno anyways, but I hear what you're sayaing that they should test it on track as well in free practice

I'm sure Ferrari know what they're doing
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Looks like Merc is bringing an updated PU in canada to counter Renaults upgrades. I'm so glad Ferrari are also going to be fixing Turbocompressor issues in canada so we can be in the game as well

Didnt see that some one is posted this.

Mahle is doing some new kind of development, turbo jet ignitions, similiar to hcci but not the same. From this article it is said that ferrari is using this form canada 2015.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1...-jet-ignition/
    Ferrari = 235 victories + 219 pole positions + 248 fastest laps = constructors championships 16

they would of run them on dyno, set-up for Sochi track.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

For the upgraded engines, we have had to use 3 tokens. We couldnt for some reason say the changes were for reliability reasons.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    For the upgraded engines, we have had to use 3 tokens. We couldnt for some reason say the changes were for reliability reasons.
    Thats what I was thinking, given the past few races, I am sure Ferrari could get away with some changes that are for 'reliability'. I think there is a process they need to go through to prove to the FIA that the changes do no add any performance, maybe it wasn't possible to show this.

Interesting article about Ferrari's engine:

Ferrari’s Formula 1 jet ignition

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof_F40 View Post
    Interesting. So it's probably true that we aren't using full potential during the whole race.
    Why is the difference in S2 so big qualy vs. race?
    Fuel Load, Weight...
    President, Scuderia Ferrari Club of Denver - The Official Passion
    http://www.scuderiaferrari.club
    denver@scuderiaferrari.club

Quote Originally Posted by abbottcostello View Post
    The regulations limit to 15k, but in order to last to the end of the race with fuel they are all limiting to 11500 - 12000 rpm.
    The engines don't normally make anymore power after about 11000rpm anyway given the fuel flow limitations... If they didn't have these limitations, we would be seeing 1500bhp out of these little guys...

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    Are these PU limited to 12k Rpm or 15k Rpm ? because almost all onboards I've seen these cars dont go above 12k
    They are limited to 15k rpm, but with the fuel limitation, they don't generate any more power or torque above 11k or so anyway...

They will run the engine for a practice session, they will not go into qualy on a fresh untested engine..

they would of run them on dyno, set-up for Sochi track.
    They run all of them on the dyno, but they will still run it during a practice session to test it in the car before they put it on the ground for quali..

Ferrari fast-tracks new front wing for Russia

Ferrari has ramped up efforts to deliver a first Formula 1 victory of the season in Russia this weekend by bringing forward the introduction of a new front wing, alongside an upgraded engine.

With technical director James Allison back to work full-time following the death of his wife, the Maranello outfit is pushing hard to find the extra steps that can help it challenge Mercedes.

For this weekend in Russia, Motorsport.com has learned that Ferrari will introduce a new front wing for both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen.

It hopes that the step will help it fully exploit the potential of the SF-16H and allow it to make up for the world championship points it has lost through reliability problems.

Engine tweaks

As revealed last week, Ferrari has also decided to go ahead with combustion improvements to its engine – which will require it to spend three of its remaining development tokens.

The modifications should allow it to raise the compression ratio inside the cylinder – which will lead to increased exhaust gas flow that will help the turbo perform better.

The hope is that not only will the changes deliver an out-an-out improvement in horsepower, but they will also help improve the efficiency of the Energy Recovery System, which has been singled out as an area that needed to be made better.

The changes to the engine mean that while Raikkonen will move on to his second power unit, Vettel will be switched to the third of the five he is allowed to use this year.

While such a situation may seem extreme at only the fourth round of the season, Ferrari insiders are adamant that the rotation system means the team's form will not be compromised – as the older units will still perform well at venues like Monaco and Singapore where power is not so critical.

how does the procedure look like on that?
    Do the teams announce changes in advance to FIA and get a approval of FIA that they get away with it as an reliability issue - or not?
    And based on that feedback from FIA they start changing it ...

or do the teams change it anyway in advance and hope it might be signed off as reliability issue or then not

how this gonna work?
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

Someone suggested, in comments section of an article on this, it may be due to the part I highlighted below, that Ferrari didn't want to submit as reliability issue because it would reveal ICE details to competition. Not really sure about that myself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
    how does the procedure look like on that?
    Do the teams announce changes in advance to FIA and get a approval of FIA that they get away with it as an reliability issue - or not?
    And based on that feedback from FIA they start changing it ...
    or do the teams change it anyway in advance and hope it might be signed off as reliability issue or then not

how this gonna work?
    Here's the part for reliability. From what I have read, other manufacturers can object if they think it is a false claim, but they rarely do that. Read it on the internet, so must be true.
    From the 2016 F1 Sporting Regulations
    APPENDIX 4
    2016-2020 POWER UNIT HOMOLOGATION

5) A manufacturer may apply to the FIA during the course of the homologation period to carry out modifications to their homologated power unit for the sole purposes of reliability, safety, cost-saving.

Applications must be made in writing to the FIA Technical Department and must provide all necessary supporting information including, where appropriate, clear evidence of failures. The FIA will circulate the correspondence to all manufacturers for comment. If the FIA is satisfied, in its absolute discretion, that these changes are acceptable, they will confirm to the manufacturer concerned that they may be carried out.
    Forza Ferrari !
    "You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." - Juan Manuel Fangio

If 3 tokens got us more HP and Ferrari picks the right tyres to get Seb on pole, I believe we will be the 1st place team even if just on and off. And Seb will live on the podiums. Kimi in 2nd as a wing man and were in! We have the divers, we need the car.

Maybe the only way to bridge the gap to Merc is to throw everything at the car early in the season, in the hope that reliability improves too. We all hope and pray that it works!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Maybe the only way to bridge the gap to Merc is to throw everything at the car early in the season, in the hope that reliability improves too. We all hope and pray that it works!
    Completely agree! Before they make unattainable points advantage.... God forbid!

Just seen a picture of our new front wing and all I can say is WOW. Can't wait for the race on Sunday. Info on Motorsport.com.

New one on the bottom:

Another angle:

Last edited by f300v10; 28th April 2016 at 14:57.

Kimi and Seb have both mentioned it was always planned to introduce a new engine spec at this race:

Seb: "It was always the plan to use a new engine here,"

Kimi: "We have a plan, like we had last year, to make certain things at certain times, improve and bring new parts for some races," he said. "The plan is similar and we're following it, it will be a different engine, a new engine, but it's part of the normal progress throughout the year.

"Is it going to make an awful lot of difference? I don't know. There's nothing wrong with my engine, it's just a new spec. I don't know how it's going to be -- we'll see."

After looking at the McLaren and Redbull FW, boy I just hope our engine delivers. I hope we are not lacking in development (Ferreri will prove me right).

oh not again with this crying. Complexity does not mean it is better

Yes, we have new engines for this race

has anyone noticed any visible changes, apart from the front wing?

Is there a new fuel this race also?