Thread: An Evening with Jock Clear

Thumbs up An Evening with Jock Clear

I thought it may be of interest to the forum members for me to share some comments from a talk Jock Clear (Ex Mercedes, BAR, Honda, Brawn GP, Williams, Benetton, Leyton House/March and Lotus) gave to iMech E members in Salisbury this evening.

The topic of his lecture was 'Engineering a World Champion,' specifically the role of the race engineer being a conduit between the driver and engineering staff. Decoding his information and providing data for the technical staff to work with, as well as ensuring the driver can overcome his limits by challenging his perceptions and what he is trying to do.

An example was given of his effective, 'coaching' of Lewis Hamilton to brake past the 'bump' into the first corner at Monaco, something Nico Rosberg had mastered but something that was not within Lewis' perception of possible. Eventually Clear persuaded Lewis that it was plausible and he did it, gaining a tenth per lap.

The feel of the lecture was quite 'soft,' little engineering detail but a focus on the human element of managing a world champion driver and the ability of a world champion driver to manage his team and rally them and the car development behind him. In this respect he couldn't speak highly enough of Michael Schumacher, Lewis, Vettel and Alonso. Men he marked as being truly phenomenally talented and able to direct, inspire and encourage their teams. Also he mentioned how the best champions have this 'edge' to them. Lewis and Alonso's attitude, Schumacher ruthlessness and Vettel's quirkiness. He said, 'If you are too nice, it's a bad sign.' Despite that, he stated that Damon Hill and Jenson Button are 'as worthy champions as anyone else, they channeled everything when they saw their chance....' Indicating perhaps that it is the intensity of focus that separates an all-time great from a world beater.

On the question of 'Car or Driver?' He believes it's one and the same as the driver dictates the development, the best drivers end up in the best cars for a reason. I asked him if he could think of a driver who hadn't delivered who maybe could have.... He said 'no, the best drivers get into the best positions.' The only possible exception was Rubens Barrichello, who was in his words; lazy. Interestingly regarding Nico, Clear believes he will never be world champion, he saw him across the table from Schumacher for three years and saw how he focused on the data of Schumacher's driving rather then his demeanor. How Rosberg couldn't echo Schumacher's personality. He will never be able to galvanize a team behind him, despite having natural ability up there with anyone.

A truly fascinating night, and what a gentleman Clear is. All the best to him at Ferrari, he is really looking forward to working with 'The Real Deal' Vettel and someone who 'Should be interesting to work with' Raikonnen.

Thanks a lot for sharing! It's interesting to hear an engineer values the human/driver side highly as well. Maybe because his work area is somewhere in between.

I've read that while nothing became public there was quite a political maneuvering between Michael & Nico to rally the team behind their own side. Nico was actually very clever at that and successfully getting under Michael's skin. To some degree it was probably because Nico directly competed him in the same team but I find it fascinating how different Seb's and Nico's attitudes toward Michael were despite both belonging to the same generation. (On a second thought maybe where you grew up matters more.) Anyway what he said about Nico seems to concur with what we've heard since HAM-ROS partnership started.

I'm looking forward to having him in the team and what he will bring to the team.
    Last edited by Ilsan; 3rd December 2015 at 13:23.

I've also read your comment on somewhere else before, thanks for sharing with us.