Thread: Off to Monza this weekend - Looking for advice please!

Off to Monza this weekend - Looking for advice please!

Hi Everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are off to Milan this weekend to watch the Italian GP at Monza. It was a present from her for my birthday so I'm very lucky. I've been reading up as much as I can about the circuit but still have a load of questions and wandering if there is anyone out there that has been before that can help?

We have general admission tickets for Sunday and looking to get the train from central station to Monza then use one of the free shuttle buses to get to the circuit. I understand there's then a bit of a walk to the circuit. I'd like to take in maybe two or three spots during the 2hr race and also try and make it to the podium for the champagne.

1. Would Parabolica entry and exit and one other, maybe Ascari chicane or the straight just after Ascari be a good choice, ending with Parabolica exit towards the end of the race to be close to the track to reach the Podium? Would it be realistic to make all three in the two hours?

2. Which gate would be best to enter the circuit from on arrival or does anyone know which gate the free shuttle buses from Monza station drop you off at? The map here http://f1destinations.com/trackside-ita ... rand-prix/ suggests A, G or F would be good for Parabolica but I've no idea where the shuttles would drop off

3. Once through the gate how do you get around? eg. from inside to outside track or from one side of the inside to the other? Do you have to follow specific paths? Are certain area's out of bounds. I can't tell from the map.

4. Once the race is over where is the gate to get out onto the track and run to the podium?

5. What time would be best to get there on race day?

Thanks,

Grizzly.

Hi there Grizzly, just a few pointers which may hep you as I did the same thing 2 years ago, arriving at Monza station and taking the shuttle bus ,I'm not sure it was free, I think we paid 5 Euros return, it dropped us off in the park at the Parabolica end of the park but it's quite a walk into the circuit, about 20mins of grass/gravel, we entered the circuit behind the main straight grandstands, walked along behind them then took an underpass into the central area, walked to Ascari and stayed for quite a while there. It's quite difficult to see a lot as there is fencing and the cars go past so quickly, usually just their helmets are visible but you can see them take the chicane and there are TV screens to keep abreast of what's happening elsewhere. After that we re-traced our steps for the last few laps so we exited the same way back under the main straight and jumped over the guard-rails onto the track and towards the podium, but it was pretty chaotic, but great atmosphere and if Ferrari do well, it will be fantastically mad! We arrived there on race day quite late (11am) having come from Lake Como to Monza station, maybe if you're coming from Milan you can get there earlier and bag a better vantage point, there aren't many banks or structures to climb on to, so you'll spend a long time on your feet! I can't say whether we made the right choice of entry/exit points, it may just be a case of following the locals, you may get a better view from the outside points of the track rather than the inside, it's all a bit pot luck with general admission but still worth it! Hope this helps.

I have been in Monza three times with general admission. I can't help you about the train and the buses because I went to the camping.

And about your questions:
    1. I went to Parabolica entry and I think that is a good place. Ascari is good but is a small place for general admission and it seems that people sleeps there!.

2. I'm sorry but I don't know.

3. You can walk around the track, and if you go out, they put a stamp in your ticket and then you can enter in another entrance. I went out by a mistake and then I could enter again without problems.

4. In the middle of the Parabolica there is a door that is opened at the end of the race (at least when I went)

5. As soon as possible As I said, it seems that people sleeps there.

Hope to help you a little and enjoy the experience!

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Hi there Grizzly, just a few pointers which may hep you as I did the same thing 2 years ago, arriving at Monza station and taking the shuttle bus ,I'm not sure it was free, I think we paid 5 Euros return, it dropped us off in the park at the Parabolica end of the park but it's quite a walk into the circuit, about 20mins of grass/gravel, we entered the circuit behind the main straight grandstands, walked along behind them then took an underpass into the central area, walked to Ascari and stayed for quite a while there. It's quite difficult to see a lot as there is fencing and the cars go past so quickly, usually just their helmets are visible but you can see them take the chicane and there are TV screens to keep abreast of what's happening elsewhere. After that we re-traced our steps for the last few laps so we exited the same way back under the main straight and jumped over the guard-rails onto the track and towards the podium, but it was pretty chaotic, but great atmosphere and if Ferrari do well, it will be fantastically mad! We arrived there on race day quite late (11am) having come from Lake Como to Monza station, maybe if you're coming from Milan you can get there earlier and bag a better vantage point, there aren't many banks or structures to climb on to, so you'll spend a long time on your feet! I can't say whether we made the right choice of entry/exit points, it may just be a case of following the locals, you may get a better view from the outside points of the track rather than the inside, it's all a bit pot luck with general admission but still worth it! Hope this helps.
    Hi wisepie. Thanks for the reply. Very interested to read your experience. Glad to know it’s only a 20min walk from the shuttles and you can enter by the main straight, I guess that would be gate A or B and we would be looking to do the same.

I think we have decided on floating between Parabolica inside entrance and inside exit which will give us a chance to make the podium at the end of the race. They also have GA stands and a screen close by. We are hoping to get there for 8am so will have a wander to Ascari and Parabolica outside entrance to check the view.

I guess it’s going to be busy though whatever so will just take it as it comes and enjoy the race and atmosphere. Can’t wait! Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by gimeagui View Post
    I have been in Monza three times with general admission. I can't help you about the train and the buses because I went to the camping.

And about your questions:
    1. I went to Parabolica entry and I think that is a good place. Ascari is good but is a small place for general admission and it seems that people sleeps there!.

2. I'm sorry but I don't know.

3. You can walk around the track, and if you go out, they put a stamp in your ticket and then you can enter in another entrance. I went out by a mistake and then I could enter again without problems.

4. In the middle of the Parabolica there is a door that is opened at the end of the race (at least when I went)

5. As soon as possible As I said, it seems that people sleeps there.

Hope to help you a little and enjoy the experience!
    Thanks for the reply gimeagui and having a pop at my questions. I guess the idea as you suggest is to get there early. We are aiming to get there about 8am so should have some time to look around at a few corners and get a half decent spot hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlylar View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are off to Milan this weekend to watch the Italian GP at Monza. It was a present from her for my birthday so I'm very lucky. I've been reading up as much as I can about the circuit but still have a load of questions and wandering if there is anyone out there that has been before that can help?

We have general admission tickets for Sunday and looking to get the train from central station to Monza then use one of the free shuttle buses to get to the circuit. I understand there's then a bit of a walk to the circuit. I'd like to take in maybe two or three spots during the 2hr race and also try and make it to the podium for the champagne.

1. Would Parabolica entry and exit and one other, maybe Ascari chicane or the straight just after Ascari be a good choice, ending with Parabolica exit towards the end of the race to be close to the track to reach the Podium? Would it be realistic to make all three in the two hours?

2. Which gate would be best to enter the circuit from on arrival or does anyone know which gate the free shuttle buses from Monza station drop you off at? The map here http://f1destinations.com/trackside-ita ... rand-prix/ suggests A, G or F would be good for Parabolica but I've no idea where the shuttles would drop off

3. Once through the gate how do you get around? eg. from inside to outside track or from one side of the inside to the other? Do you have to follow specific paths? Are certain area's out of bounds. I can't tell from the map.

4. Once the race is over where is the gate to get out onto the track and run to the podium?

5. What time would be best to get there on race day?

Thanks,

Grizzly.
    Ciao Grizzy,

I will go to Monza as well! How can I recognize you there lol? I will be wearing Ferrari official teamwear probably! I will be there only on Sunday! If anyone has an advice about where it's the best place to park your car that would be really nice! Please let me know any advice is welcome! Forza Ferrari
    Maurizio Arrivabene fanpage:www.facebook.com/maurizioarrivabene

Glad the info is useful, grizzly, but in all honesty the race is over pretty quickly and there isn't too much time to move around once it's started, so better get there early and do your own recce!! I'm very jealous of you and fratelliferrari (prev post), have a fantastic day and don't forget the brolly, thunderstorms are possible! Will look forward to hearing how you got on......Forza Ferrari! Cheers.

Thought I’d report back on my weekend and put a little back in.

We aimed to be at the circuit as early as possible on the Sunday but due to being a bit unwell had a lay in and decided to catch the 9.20 train from Central FS to Monza, it was about a 15 min train ride. We bought the tickets from a guard outside the blue ticket machines which represent the suburban railway operator. Turns out while we were on the train we headed straight past Monza on the way to Biassono Lesmo. Originally I wanted to avoid this route as I’d heard thee walk from Lesmo to Parabolica would be long so would have preferred Monza and then the shuttle but in hindsight it turns out this was a much better way of getting to the circuit and I would use the Lesmo entrance again. Then walk is not that long and an enjoyable way to checkout the other viewpoints.
    Getting off at Biassono Lesmo was easy and the entrance to the gate at Lesmo exit was literally a 60 second walk away. We were in the circuit by 10am, the GP2 had just started so we decided to walk the side of the track from Lesmo exit to from Parabolica entrance then onto Parabolica exit. This was meant to give us some recce time to decide where we wanted to sit come race time. I really like the Lesmo end and the straight heading to Ascari. Relaxed vibe amongst the trees with lots of spots to view the track and plenty of GA stands. Less queues for the food stalls, good sized beer tents and more variety of food on offer. Looking back down the straight from the old circuit tunnel was quite a good spot too and the sound at full throttle was impressive. Only problem is the area is quite contained with the backdrop of trees and there is no chance of reaching the podium when the race finishes.
    Passing Ascari we noticed there was a small section for GA with a good view of the chicane but the space was already taken up and you needed to be elevated off the floor. Pressed on past the first walkover and the start of the paddock area etc. Crowds increasing with less sun cover. Checked out the Porsches waiting for GP2 to finish and head to the track. Then veered left to align with the track and walk down Parabolica entrance. A good wide open space with opposing views of the stands, good selection of GA seats right up close to the fence with a TV screen right behind us, it seemed like a good choice to watch the race and take pictures. We also checked out curve of Parabolica (nice and shaded with trees, close to circuit, good GA seats but view quite contained) and Parabolica Exit (good alternative to Parabolica entrance with view of Pit entrance and got to get pictures of the GP2 cars parked up after their race) before returning to Parabolica entrance for the start of the F1 race.
    Just one row back from the fence Vettel and Raikkonen jumped off the drivers lorry right in front of us to stop and say hello. Italians loving this and popping their flares. Race started and we stayed here for about 1 hour before moving to Parabolica curve then Parabolica exit to get some different pictures. Then with a few laps to go we headed back to the centre of the Parabolica corner as we had be told this was the closest gate to get onto the circuit.

Race is over gates are open and we run as fast as we can to reach the podium. As we turn the corner we can already see the flares and flags and only manage to reach just under the podium but couldn’t get in front due to the crowds. Running round the corner though I did notice an opened gate in front of a grandstand on Parabolica Exit, this would have saved us 10 mins and a spot in front of the podium. After the champagne was done we walked the circuit clockwaise back up to Lesmo to get some drinks and catch the train.

All In all I really enjoyed Monza. The passion of the Ferrari fans and the history of the circuit make it a special place to watch F1. The laid back attitude of the Italian authorities eg. running the track, jumping fences, walking away with F1 tyres etc. adds to the character. The weather and food is good. Getting in and out by train to Lesmo corner is easy and Milan is a great city to base yourself with friendly locals and amazing architecture.

Would definitely return again!