Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mexican GP 2016 practice & qualifying thread

Mexican GP 2016 practice & qualifying thread

Seb: “we are here to fight, confident for the future”

We know we are not the favorites coming into this weekend, but we sure are here to fight and grab every opportunity of a win or a podium finish. Last year we didn’t have the best of results here, so obviously we’ll try to improve on that. Many things can happen, this is a track were nobody really has much experience, as it is only the second edition of this Grand Prix. More generally speaking, obviously this year we did not get the results we wanted, but there’s a lot of work going on back at the factory, a lot of things have changed and in Formula One, unfortunately, things do not happen at a mouse click. But I think we have a lot of people in the team, clever, smart people, and this will help for the future and make us feel more confident.

Kimi: on this track everything works differently

It’s hard to know what to expect for this weekend. Physically I don’t really feel different, considering the altitude, but obviously the cars are working in a different way. The engine works slightly different and so do the wings as the downforce is reduced. Last year it was quite tricky here, the track was very slippery to start with, and then it obviously improved. We had a very difficult weekend, how’s going to be this year and where we’ll stand against the other teams we’ll find out from tomorrow. Hopefully we’ll be in a better position.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Just a thought...........

Hey Ferrari : Let's do LMP1......right now !

Phone Reinhold Joest , tell him now that Audi quits and his team is without a manufacturer....Ferrari wants to step in :

Scuderia Ferrari
    t e a m J o e s t

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it ?

Well, let's see how bad this is... :(

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Well, let's see how bad this is... :(

Quote Originally Posted by rossopervincere View Post
    Hey Ferrari : Let's do LMP1......right now !

Phone Reinhold Joest , tell him now that Audi quits and his team is without a manufacturer....Ferrari wants to step in :

Scuderia Ferrari
    t e a m J o e s t

Has a nice ring to it doesn't it ?
    Nice dream. But will never Happen as long as we in F1. To run an LMP1 hybrid and be a real winner, got have budget of 500 million a year.

Yikes. Slower with a faster tire. Nice!

FP1//2nd/3rd fastest..Softs while lh was running meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Nice dream. But will never Happen as long as we in F1. To run an LMP1 hybrid and be a real winner, got have budget of 500 million a year.
    Yep, we are not on the same scale as VW as far as world earnings.
    Plus, they also own Porsche, so they are in fact still in the WEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Yep, we are not on the same scale as VW as far as world earnings.
    Plus, they also own Porsche, so they are in fact still in the WEC.
    really??? even after the diesel scandal SAGA they had with 18.28 BILLION dollar loss??? i'm pretty sure that has had to hurt them in some ways.

Now this looks better. Only if it's real.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Ferrari Fastest now. Time for Mercedes to hire Ross Brawn :)

Long run pace looks good. (Really good actually)

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    really??? even after the diesel scandal SAGA they had with 18.28 BILLION dollar loss??? i'm pretty sure that has had to hurt them in some ways.

2015 VAG 213.3 billion EUR Ferrari 2.854 billion EUR 2015 We not even in the same ball park as VAG.

Audi is out due to wanting to focus on Formula E, yes this diesel gate hasnt helped. In USA, the engines in the cars that were being false data, was Audi built engines. Audi engineers signed off these emission tests.

Aud raced on the marketing of, clean diesel. Now, that cannt be done thanks to the scandal. But, there is new LMP1 regs coming 2018, which is more for electric driven, so wouldnt be surprised too see Audi learn what they got to learn in FE, then be back to WEC/Le-Mans for 2018. BMW may enter with all hydrogen-electric LMP1 car.

Our Race pace on the Medium tyre is exactly da same as Mercs pace on super soft tyres ie. Vet vs Ros.

FerrariSteve Guest
    Merc sandbagging. They'll suddenly find another second a lap in qually.

Premio de Mexico.
    Pos Driver Team Time Gap
    1 Vettel Ferrari 1:19.790 120.647 mph
    2 Hamilton Mercedes 1:19.794 0.004
    3 Rosberg Mercedes 1:20.225 0.435
    4 Raikkonen Ferrari 1:20.259 0.469
    5 Ricciardo Red Bull 1:20.448 0.658
    6 Hulkenberg Force India 1:20.574 0.784
    7 Verstappen Red Bull 1:20.619 0.829
    8 Bottas Williams 1:20.629 0.839
    9 Sainz Toro Rosso 1:20.974 1.184
    10 Alonso McLaren 1:21.003 1.213

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Yep...really really...See Robs post.

Can anyone please tell me on what tyre did Seb and Kimi set their times. I believe long run pace is strong. Sorry guy's i'm at work hence i missed both fp1&2.

Quote Originally Posted by superwonderboy View Post
    Can anyone please tell me on what tyre did Seb and Kimi set their times. I believe long run pace is strong. Sorry guy's i'm at work hence i missed both fp1&2.
    Report from Motorsport.com..part of it anyway..think it mentions tires.

Sebastian Vettel topped the times in FP2 for the Mexican Grand Prix, the first time a Ferrari has led a practice session since the Belgian GP in August.

Vettel beat Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton by four thousandths of a second in the supersoft low-fuel runs.

Nico Rosberg was again well off teammate Hamilton's pace but that was enough for third, ahead of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

Red Bull struggled for raw pace, and set the fifth and seventh quickest times with Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen respectively, who sandwiched Force India's Nico Hulkenberg.

During the long runs towards the end of the session, Vettel tripped over McLaren's Fernando Alonso and branded him "an idiot" after he ran wide at Turn 12.
    Story of the session

Raikkonen set the early benchmark at 1m22.075s on the medium-compound tyre. Verstappen ran early, keen to make up for the time lost in the first session due to a rear-brake fire.

"Struggling overall with warm-up, very poor grip all around," reported Vettel, just before he took the fastest time with a lap of 1m22.024s to make it a Ferrari 1-2.

There was plenty of early action: Perez suffered a spin at Turn 5, and Rosberg also went off track on his first run of the day. Nasr spun at Turn 6, and Ricciardo went over the kerbs at Turn 12.

Hamilton suffered no such drama, unleashing a 1m20.362s on softs to go P1 by 1.662s at the time. He then suffered a huge lockup at Turn 1, and reported: "This tyre is completely done."

Rosberg got to within 1.151s with a 1m21.513s, then a 1m21.416s lowered the gap to 1.054s.

Vettel was the first frontrunner to try new supersofts, achieving a 1m19.790s at his first attempt.

Raikkonen went P2, despite having to pass Vettel at Turn 1 on his flying lap, with his 1m20.259s effort 0.46s down on his teammate.

Verstappen produced 1m20.619s, which was slower than Hamilton's soft-tyre time. Rosberg went only P4 on supersofts, producing 1m20.406s – also slower than Hamilton's lap on softs.
    Hamilton gets close to Vettel's P1

Hamilton then went P2 on supersofts, his 1m19.803s just 0.013s slower than Vettel as he caught a Toro Rosso in the final corners. He complained of traffic on his second flyer, but then improved to 1m19.794s on his third attempt, setting the overall second sector time.

In contrast, Rosberg improved on his second 'push' lap to 1m20.225s to go P3, 0.435s down on Vettel, with Ricciardo going P5 on 1m20.448s.

Nico Hulkenberg was the fastest Force India in sixth, ahead of Verstappen.

Valtteri Bottas was eighth fastest for Williams, ahead of Carlos Sainz's Toro Rosso and Alonso. Sainz had a run-in with Renault's Kevin Magnussen on the run to Turn 1.

Daniil Kvyat was 11th for Toro Rosso, ahead of McLaren's Jenson Button – who reported: "Really struggling with grip. The rear just feels like it's going to fall over."

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariSteve View Post
    Merc sandbagging. They'll suddenly find another second a lap in qually.
    As usual. So for the time being I am not rising my hopes high!

Report from Motorsport.com..part of it anyway..think it mentions tires.

Sebastian Vettel topped the times in FP2 for the Mexican Grand Prix, the first time a Ferrari has led a practice session since the Belgian GP in August.

Vettel beat Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton by four thousandths of a second in the supersoft low-fuel runs.

Nico Rosberg was again well off teammate Hamilton's pace but that was enough for third, ahead of Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

Red Bull struggled for raw pace, and set the fifth and seventh quickest times with Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen respectively, who sandwiched Force India's Nico Hulkenberg.

During the long runs towards the end of the session, Vettel tripped over McLaren's Fernando Alonso and branded him "an idiot" after he ran wide at Turn 12.
    Story of the session

Raikkonen set the early benchmark at 1m22.075s on the medium-compound tyre. Verstappen ran early, keen to make up for the time lost in the first session due to a rear-brake fire.

"Struggling overall with warm-up, very poor grip all around," reported Vettel, just before he took the fastest time with a lap of 1m22.024s to make it a Ferrari 1-2.

There was plenty of early action: Perez suffered a spin at Turn 5, and Rosberg also went off track on his first run of the day. Nasr spun at Turn 6, and Ricciardo went over the kerbs at Turn 12.

Hamilton suffered no such drama, unleashing a 1m20.362s on softs to go P1 by 1.662s at the time. He then suffered a huge lockup at Turn 1, and reported: "This tyre is completely done."

Rosberg got to within 1.151s with a 1m21.513s, then a 1m21.416s lowered the gap to 1.054s.

Vettel was the first frontrunner to try new supersofts, achieving a 1m19.790s at his first attempt.

Raikkonen went P2, despite having to pass Vettel at Turn 1 on his flying lap, with his 1m20.259s effort 0.46s down on his teammate.

Verstappen produced 1m20.619s, which was slower than Hamilton's soft-tyre time. Rosberg went only P4 on supersofts, producing 1m20.406s – also slower than Hamilton's lap on softs.
    Hamilton gets close to Vettel's P1

Hamilton then went P2 on supersofts, his 1m19.803s just 0.013s slower than Vettel as he caught a Toro Rosso in the final corners. He complained of traffic on his second flyer, but then improved to 1m19.794s on his third attempt, setting the overall second sector time.

In contrast, Rosberg improved on his second 'push' lap to 1m20.225s to go P3, 0.435s down on Vettel, with Ricciardo going P5 on 1m20.448s.

Nico Hulkenberg was the fastest Force India in sixth, ahead of Verstappen.

Valtteri Bottas was eighth fastest for Williams, ahead of Carlos Sainz's Toro Rosso and Alonso. Sainz had a run-in with Renault's Kevin Magnussen on the run to Turn 1.

Daniil Kvyat was 11th for Toro Rosso, ahead of McLaren's Jenson Button – who reported: "Really struggling with grip. The rear just feels like it's going to fall over."
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    As usual. So for the time being I am not rising my hopes high!
    lol

lol
    What is so lol about cold hard truth?!

It seems we now watch " F tyres ", chassis, areo, pu, driver, all mean little compared to which tyre to go with and when. Pirrelli is now what F1 is all about. Mexico's track is like an ice skating rink, they had to know that already?

I think Practice 3 will give us a better idea where we stand. I mean hulkenburg used only Softs and he's within 7 tenths of Vettel, and quite possibly P1 had he used SS. According to Pirelli the difference between the two compounds should be around 9 tenths.

I like to think we were sandbagging just like the Mercs and Force India were running on fumes or something doesn't add up.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    What is so lol about cold hard truth?!
    lol
    Forza Ferrari

Merc will be on pole here. I do have hopes of us beating RBR. Well done to Seb, last year he was nowhere in mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    lol
    I just new and was waiting for your (un)wise reply

Quote Originally Posted by IulianFerrari View Post
    Merc will be on pole here. I do have hopes of us beating RBR. Well done to Seb, last year he was nowhere in mexico

Fernando Alonso forgives 'frustrated' Sebastian Vettel for angry radio messages
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...radio-messages