Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Singapore GP 2019 Race

SEB AND CHARLES, ONE-TWO FOR FERRARI!

Singapore, 22 September 2019 – Scuderia Ferrari dominated the 12th edition of the Singapore Grand Prix with Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc finishing first and second. The result was down to a perfect strategy that led to the team’s 84th one-two finish in Formula 1. The key moments were the pit stops, with Seb’s on lap 19 and Charles’ on 20. From a situation where the team was running first and third, after all the major players had pitted, the two SF90s headed the field, although now with Sebastian ahead of Charles, who had started from pole and had led the early stages of the race.

Start. The start went well, with Charles maintaining his advantage over Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian. All the way to Turn 7, the German tried to get past the English Mercedes driver but had to give best in the end. Once the race settled down, Leclerc did not push too hard, so as to save the tyres as much as possible to fit the requirement for a one-stop strategy. On lap 19, the traffic situation looked good enough to go for the pit stops. The team therefore decided to bring in Sebastian first, as he was under threat of an undercut from Max Verstappen, who was less than a second behind. The stop was perfect and after it, Vettel had a clear track ahead of him, which meant he could push to the maximum, making ground on the rest of the field to the extent that, when Charles stopped one lap later, he found himself behind Sebastian.

Safety Car Periods. On lap 35, the Safety Car came out following the incident between George Russell and Romain Grosjean, when Vettel had around a 5 second lead over Charles, who was followed by Verstappen, Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas. There were two more Safety Car periods, one when Sergio Perez stopped on track and another when Kimi Raikkonen had to do the same. The slower laps allowed the Ferraris to save their tyres so that they were able to comfortably make it to the finish, with the chequered flag being waved almost on the regulation two hour mark.

Statistics. This was Scuderia Ferrari’s third consecutive win, the first time that’s happened since 2008 when there were actually four in a row, in Malaysia, Bahrain, Spain and Turkey. Sebastian returned to the top step of the podium after an absence of over a year, dating back to Belgium 2018. It was his fifth win in Singapore, which is a record for any driver at the Marina Bay track. His 14th win with the Scuderia also puts him third in the list of all-time Ferrari winners between Michael Schumacher on 72 and Niki Lauda on 15. It is his 53rd win and the Scuderia’s 238th. The next round, the 16th of the season, is next weekend in Russia, at the Sochi Autodrom.

Sebastian Vettel #5

“After yesterday, when I wasn’t able to get everything out of the car, I am pleased with the way everything went today. It was about time! The last few weeks have been far from simple for me, but in the end, I knew I could turn things around. I never stopped believing in myself and today, with the great help of the team here and in Maranello, we got the result we should always be aiming for.

I was playing a waiting game until I got the call on the radio to pit for new tyres. I had not expected to stay out so long but the decision was key, because I was able to rejoin with a clear track ahead of me and I could run at my own pace making up ground on all the others, to the extent that I was in the lead by almost five seconds at the time the Safety Car came out. From then on, the race was continually interrupted, with a further two restarts, but I still managed to maintain concentration and avoid making any mistakes.

It’s too early to say if this win means we can be competitive on all the coming tracks. Here, whoever is in front sets the pace, almost like in Monaco and on used tyres, Hamilton seemed stronger than us, which means we still have work to do when it comes to our race pace. Certainly the upgrades we brought here worked well and made us competitive, which means we are working in the right direction.”

Charles Leclerc #16

“As a team, it was a positive weekend for us. Arriving in Singapore, we did not have high expectations, so bringing home a one-two finish is a pleasant surprise and also a sign that all of the hard work done by the team has paid off.

That said, of course I am a bit disappointed to finish in second place. But I am certain that our race was aimed at maximising our result as a team, which we did, and that is good. We know that we have a lot of potential and will keep working in this direction to do the best job possible at the remaining six races. Now I look forward to the next one in Russia.”

Mattia Binotto Team Principal

“The 1-2 today is very important to us because we achieved it in a different scenario, on a very different type of circuit to Spa-Francorchamps or Monza. The team managed the situation, the strategy and the pit stops very well. The aero update we brought here worked well and, combined with our drivers’ confidence around here and the tyres, that we managed to get to work properly, we actually got more than we expected today.

Well done to Seb, he deserved to win! We had to bring him in first, to protect his position because Max Verstappen was about to pit and that was Seb’s best chance to overtake Hamilton. Also, we knew that on the following lap we would have pitted Charles, so it was important not to stop both the drivers on the same lap. The undercut was very effective. Seb drove very fast and very well on new tyres in that part of the race and gained the position to go ahead of Charles, which is part of racing.
    For his part, after the spectacular qualifying yesterday, Charles had a solid and consistent race.

The car is good and is constantly improving and the team is working and reacting well. There’s no doubt about it, we are all very happy with this victory.”
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Cant believe it really again that polish guy. Cant you just be happy about today. He always is there and bashing one driver always. Not a true ferrari fan...

Just comes from his hole in a bad way. Bringing negativity.

Seb created a mega inlap and gain nealy 3 seconds in one Lap. Which he did is very cool. Deserved the victory after a 1 year of waiting finally it happened. Canada was also a win for me and also for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Yes I think some would be happy tonight with 1-4 and attack Seb for being 4th......sad really.
    I’m not getting one point from those guys who said initially (including me)
    At this track Ferrari would get lapped, now they are criticising the outcome.
    I really get a feeling that these are they really Ferrari fan boys or Driver dependent fans.

Come on guys ,we just have 1-2 in SINGAPORE!! Where we suppose to be destroyed, and instead of just be super happy ,you start the Vettel-Leclerc debate???!!!!!
    It was a masterpiece of a race for both our drivers AND the team !!! That's it and nothing else!!!
    Both drivers drove fantastically and it just happen Vet's undercut to be unexpected fast so he managed to pass Charles!!!No conspiracy, no favor from the team to Seb NOTHING!!!!
    For the 1st time for many many years we had both our drivers on the top of their games ,and instead of be happy and proud we start fighting each other!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vettel165 View Post
    Cant believe it really again that polish guy. Cant you just be happy about today. He always is there and bashing one driver always. Not a true ferrari fan...

Just comes from his hole in a bad way. Bringing negativity.

Seb created a mega inlap and gain nealy 3 seconds in one Lap. Which he did is very cool. Deserved the victory after a 1 year of waiting finally it happened. Canada was also a win for me and also for him.
    Mega inlap? His inlap was 0.08s faster then Leclercs who did it one lap later.

His outlap wasnt that special either, Kvyat did 0.8s slower S2+S3 on his outlap 8 laps earlier with more fuel.

Even Kvyat with STR would come close to undercutting Leclerc in Ferrari duo to sheer speed advantage of new tires on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post

His outlap wasnt that special either, Kvyat did 0.8s slower S2+S3 on his outlap 8 laps earlier with more fuel.

Even Kvyat with STR would come close to undercutting Leclerc in Ferrari duo to sheer speed advantage of new tires on the track.
    Nope he was awesome and who cares.

Soo happy after today over the moon. Plain and squar 1-2 for Ferrari.

His Lap on Mediums was enough to close 2.6sec lead. It was not abt outlap or inlap.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    His Lap on Mediums was enough to close 2.6sec lead. It was not abt outlap or inlap.
    Agree.

Why won't you answer? Would you rather we let Max undercut Seb than have a 1-2?
    Forza Ferrari

1. He never raced on mediums
    2. There is inlap and outlap when undercutting
    3. Guy who is undercutting has advantage of 1 lap on fresh tires - outlap
    4. Vettels outlap was solid but nothing special. Kvyats outlap on L13 was 2.7s faster then Leclercs.

LAP 13 FROM STR

So that tells you all you need to know. Top teams could have EASILY undercut by ~4s without "mega outlaps"

No. I would rather have Seb 1st and thats what I said. I said team reacted to MV, rigtfully so, but in process it proved to be a bad outcome for Charles.

All I am saying is, on Sebs track Charles outqualified him, led the race and lost it through the pits. Thats all and it doesnt mean suddenly Seb is right to make 40m $ of that result.

He would love that I am certain of it. He just doesnt like Seb. Did he meet him live that he has such a bad spot for him...

4. Vettels outlap was solid but nothing special. Kvyats outlap on L13 was 2.7s faster then Leclercs.

LAP 13 FROM STR

So that tells you all you need to know. Top teams could have EASILY undercut by ~4s without "mega outlaps"
    I called it wrong. It’s hard tyre.
    When there’s in-lap & out-lap crucial at such tracks. You call them as not mega lap ?? Even if it’s slightly better than your opponent you term that as exceptional or better lap. But for you it doesn’t count.

No. I would rather have Seb 1st and thats what I said. I said team reacted to MV, rigtfully so, but in process it proved to be a bad outcome for Charles.

All I am saying is, on Sebs track Charles outqualified him, led the race and lost it through the pits. Thats all and it doesnt mean suddenly Seb is right to make 40m $ of that result.
    Let him out qualify that’s good for the both & team and all other. At the end it’s Ferrari 1-2 aren’t u happy with that?
    For this you want a pay cut in vettel? Ok he will accept it. End of the story.

I called it wrong. It’s hard tyre.
    When there’s in-lap & out-lap crucial at such tracks. You call them as not mega lap ?? Even if it’s slightly better than your opponent you term that as exceptional or better lap. But for you it doesn’t count.
    Charles had no outlap. His outlap was the one where he got out of pits behind Seb, he had no effective outlap and thats why its called "undercut".

My point is, their inlaps where exactly the same. Charles on 1 lap older tire was 0.08s slower, so not even a tenth.

But outlap that Seb got resulted in 4s sufficit. Was it great lap? Well, thats my point. If we compare it to Kvyats 13 lap outlap, it wasnt. It was expected as Kvyats lap was 2.7s faster then Leclercs inlap and thats with 8 laps worth of fuel and STR, not Ferrari car.

Ok.

Sochi could be cool for us if there is no rain. A monster we could be in S1 and s2. Maybe ever good in slow corner in s3 think even if we lose there 0.3s to the opposition its enought for keeping an advantage. We will see. The Rain could spice up things.

Charles had no outlap. His outlap was the one where he got out of pits behind Seb, he had no effective outlap and thats why its called "undercut".

My point is, their inlaps where exactly the same. Charles on 1 lap older tire was 0.08s slower, so not even a tenth.

But outlap that Seb got resulted in 4s sufficit. Was it great lap? Well, thats my point. If we compare it to Kvyats 13 lap outlap, it wasnt. It was expected as Kvyats lap was 2.7s faster then Leclercs inlap and thats with 8 laps worth of fuel and STR, not Ferrari car.
    I don’t get your point ??? Aren’t u happy with 1-2 finish ?
    Or you don’t want to see vettel win?
    As you said earlier, he’s not worth 40$mn?
    If he’s isn’t or not delivering anything, it’s the call of Ferrari management right? Not you n me.

I don’t get your point ??? Aren’t u happy with 1-2 finish ?
    Or you don’t want to see vettel win?
    As you said earlier, he’s not worth 40$mn?
    If he’s isn’t or not delivering anything, it’s the call of Ferrari management right? Not you n me.
    He isnt delivering and hasnt deliver for last 2 seaons, thats the point. He was slower today, slower yesterday and will likely be slower in Sochi, thats all I am saying.

He isnt delivering and hasnt deliver for last 2 seaons, thats the point. He was slower today, slower yesterday and will likely be slower in Sochi, thats all I am saying.
    It’s not you money. They have a contract that’s it. CL has a contract as well... so the money it’s the problems? Will see what happens in Sochi, as long a Ferrari driver come first I will be happy.

"Big things have small beginings"
    "Perseverence is power"

Lewis Hamilton says he could have 'easily won' Singapore GP with 'risk'
    "It's painful for us because we could have easily won today," says Hamilton, who questioned Mercedes' strategy, after finishing fourth
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...e-gp-with-risk

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Lewis Hamilton says he could have 'easily won' Singapore GP with 'risk'
    "It's painful for us because we could have easily won today," says Hamilton, who questioned Mercedes' strategy, after finishing fourth
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...e-gp-with-risk

Hamilton is right though. If Merc had pitted Hamilton the lap before or the same lap as Vettel, Lewis would have undercut Leclerc along with Vettel. Lewis would have lead the race and would be cruising to an win because
    of track position. Leclerc would have no chance to respond as his tires were cooked as he said. Ferrari pit wall just outsmarted Toto this time around thankfully.

Also, Hamilton had no problems following Leclerc in the 1st stint, although Lec took it pretty easy. Also take into account Bottas showed the best race pace and lapped quickest when running in free air compared to Vettel.

Toto said Merc underestimated the undercut, thats why they lost the race. In fact Lewis asked for the undercut before Vettel pitted, but were denied by the team.

I believe Merc had the best race pace (as they had in Monza and Spa by far), but since Hamilton was never running in free air, its impossible to say for sure.
    ---
    I did not hear Hamilton raving about how great it is to have competition at the front this time though
    Last edited by Lesky; 23rd September 2019 at 00:49.
    "Formula 1 is not a sport anymore” - Fernando Alonso

It is always "easy to win" after you know what has happened.
    That is just "bad loser"-talk-

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Exactly!
    This has always been my exact sentiment! Maiorem Ferrari gloriam!

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    It is always "easy to win" after you know what has happened.
    That is just "bad loser"-talk-
    Yup... but I think he asked the team to undercut Leclerc, after vettel pit stop. He would have come ahead of been ahead of Leclerc but not ahead of vettel. It would have been close.

LAP 13 FROM STR

So? I don't understand what point these "Pseudo" Ferrari fans are trying to make. By pitting Vettel first Ferrari ensured 1-3 becomes 1-2. Whereas by pitting Leclerc first they would have converted 1-3 to 1-4. So who cares in which order we finished, as long as we get 1-2....Period

After the event all results are possible.Should have could have talk is yesterday's news.Ferrari eying win number 4 and why not.

Who’s the person shared the constructor trophy on the podium for Ferrari ???
    I heard from SKY commentary, some kind of strategy guy? He seems to be nice.
    Making Charles cool down & holding both drivers strongly n cheering them up.