Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Pre-season Testing Thread

Hi guys. can anyone explain what is the new innovation on the Mercedes rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by FF1 View Post
    Hi guys. can anyone explain what is the new innovation on the Mercedes rear suspension
    Rear suspension????? Here's pics of the W10 vs the W11 rear suspension.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ0dG1qW4AAn9bE.jpg

The talk currently in the paddock, news, youtube and social media is the DAS (dual axis steering) system.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Will be waiting for at least 2 GPs to form an opinion. No one, even teams exactly know where competition is. If it’s really is the case, we are behind then I really hope Red-Bull and Verstappen can form a challenge. Any thing to stop Hamilton getting that 7th

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu View Post
    Will be waiting for at least 2 GPs to form an opinion. No one, even teams exactly know where competition is. If it’s really is the case, we are behind then I really hope Red-Bull and Verstappen can form a challenge. Any thing to stop Hamilton getting that 7th
    I think we'll have a better idea by the end of next week.

I feel the same. If we are not capable of beating Ham, might as well be max.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom Hearts View Post
    Your are fooling yourself, they may or may not better in melbourne but, there is not mind-games, they can't afford it, the only ones that can is Mercedes which is what they are doing with the new system.
    I am not fooling myself and at the same time not gullible to what Binotto is saying. Obviously, Ferrari is holding their cards to their chest. Just read in between the lines he is saying.

We’ll see if he is a genius or a goat come Q3 Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not saying Ferrari are ahead or behind, but indeed reading between the lines of Binotto’s comments (and a few other things) is definitely demonstrative of Ferrari being coy.

1) in preseason, Binotto was talking about needing to go about things different politically. Of course this refers to negotiations with FOM and other teams, protecting their financial interests, etc, but mind games are also 100% politics. Now we come to testing, and their approach is clearly very different to last year.

2) he spoke about operating the car at the extremes of aero and/or suspension setup to correlate with their simulator. This could mean running extreme toe/camber (as an example) to observe its impact on Tyre wear - AND input that into the simulator so it has ACTUAL data to rely on, instead of simulating it.

I think the problem we had last year is that they stumbled onto a great setup for Barcelona pretty quickly, and just ran with it. As such, they set great times and felt great, but didn’t learn anything about their cars operating window/setup range. This year it seems they’re moving from one extreme to the other to get a full understanding of, and ability to simulate later on, the full operating window of the car.

This may also explain why in any given stint, they seem to have extreme Tyre wear (of course, it could just be that they’re chewing tyres but to this extreme seems unlikely)

3) they matched their sector 3 time from Q3 last year, with what is clearly a VERY detuned engine and in the context of the above (operating the car in extremes) certainly bodes well. Q3 is obviously all out, 100% balls to the wall, no fuel, fresh tyres, etc - and they matched it with the engine at 50-60-70%. All bodes well.

All just 1 possibility out of many - but I don’t think Ferrari is as concerned as the media is making out. Does that mean they’re ahead? Probably not - but I DO think their approach, including Binotto’s comments, are calculated and not just a sign of total resignation.

What's up with all the hoping, favoring " Max wins !" posts? I remember clearly being told any post with my mention of Max was boring, irritating, asked to get lost, find a Max forum, I was trolling, just because I used Max's name in a positive way , saying he was a sure future winner. This 2020 season according to fans here have it Luis Merc vs. Max R Bull. 2021 there's possibly a Ferrari chance of winning, with all the new rules etc. There's a driver named Charles LeClerc that I believe in big time; and believe he has a shot at WDC if our great team members @ Ferrari give him a contender of a car!!! Despite Binotto's opinions!!

According to F1.com graph, SF1000 is faster than W11 in slow speed corners(!), the main achilles heel of last years car. And both drivers said the car feels faster in corners.

Quote Originally Posted by walim View Post
    Le discours de Vettel contredit celle avec Binotto pour moi Ferrari a changé de politique ne rien dévoiler ��
    Malheureusement c'est la męme histoire qui se répčte depuis 10 ans...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Malheureusement c'est la męme histoire qui se répčte depuis 10 ans...
    Cette année pourrait ętre différente. On ne sait jamais...

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Thank a lot. Ted was saying that they managed to push the lower wish bone back towards the rear crash structure which gives them more downforce and no other team has this setting 🤔

The talk currently in the paddock, news, youtube and social media is the DAS (dual axis steering) system.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post

Thank a lot. Ted was saying that they managed to push the lower wish bone back towards the rear crash structure which gives them more downforce and no other team has this setting ��

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    https://www.formula1.com/content/dam...tina/image.png

According to F1.com graph, SF1000 is faster than W11 in slow speed corners(!), the main achilles heel of last years car. And both drivers said the car feels faster in corners.
    This graph makes no sense at all...So suddenly we are full 1 second behind Mercs on power, when Alfa Romeo with the same engine is almost full 1 second up on them? Lol... We would have to have a sail setup against the wind to achieve that.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by FF1 View Post
    Thank a lot. Ted was saying that they managed to push the lower wish bone back towards the rear crash structure which gives them more downforce and no other team has this setting ��
    That's the problem with the DAS system, it's more steering than suspension because DAS effects toe and camber of the front wheels.....and nothing to do with upper and lower wishbones or pushrods.

Whether this DAS system gives the W11 added speed on the track remains to be seen. IMO, it's more tire management than anything. Whether other teams SHOULD adopt such system also remains to be seen....which would take about 6 months to develop....only to be taken away in 2021.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Another thing could be that Ferrari said they were going to test 2 versions of their new car, so they tested their 1st version of the car this week, and it didnt provide the resuts they wanted. Next week they will try the 2nd version of it, and are hoping it will be much better. Well, it has to be much better or else we're effd!
    CUT ME. CUT YOU. BOTH OUR BLOOD IS FERRARI RED!

Quote Originally Posted by JPBD View Post
    I’m not saying Ferrari are ahead or behind, but indeed reading between the lines of Binotto’s comments (and a few other things) is definitely demonstrative of Ferrari being coy.

1) in preseason, Binotto was talking about needing to go about things different politically. Of course this refers to negotiations with FOM and other teams, protecting their financial interests, etc, but mind games are also 100% politics. Now we come to testing, and their approach is clearly very different to last year.

2) he spoke about operating the car at the extremes of aero and/or suspension setup to correlate with their simulator. This could mean running extreme toe/camber (as an example) to observe its impact on Tyre wear - AND input that into the simulator so it has ACTUAL data to rely on, instead of simulating it.

I think the problem we had last year is that they stumbled onto a great setup for Barcelona pretty quickly, and just ran with it. As such, they set great times and felt great, but didn’t learn anything about their cars operating window/setup range. This year it seems they’re moving from one extreme to the other to get a full understanding of, and ability to simulate later on, the full operating window of the car.

This may also explain why in any given stint, they seem to have extreme Tyre wear (of course, it could just be that they’re chewing tyres but to this extreme seems unlikely)

3) they matched their sector 3 time from Q3 last year, with what is clearly a VERY detuned engine and in the context of the above (operating the car in extremes) certainly bodes well. Q3 is obviously all out, 100% balls to the wall, no fuel, fresh tyres, etc - and they matched it with the engine at 50-60-70%. All bodes well.

All just 1 possibility out of many - but I don’t think Ferrari is as concerned as the media is making out. Does that mean they’re ahead? Probably not - but I DO think their approach, including Binotto’s comments, are calculated and not just a sign of total resignation.
    50-50. Yes I agree keeping low profile gives good cushion & also last year they did go with one set-up during testing. They did hit that operating window pretty easily & went on with that.

On the other side, If they want to understand the extremities of the car drivers should be driving the car on the track not in the garage.

They need to rack up good amount of laps on different track temp in order to get enough data for analysis & direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    This graph makes no sense at all...So suddenly we are full 1 second behind Mercs on power, when Alfa Romeo with the same engine is almost full 1 second up on them? Lol... We would have to have a sail setup against the wind to achieve that.
    We ran reduced engine modes, our customers did not.
    Forza Ferrari

Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Credit to MtthsMlw on F1 Technical, but very interesting and further to my post above...

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-f...-holding-back/

Credit to MtthsMlw on F1 Technical, but very interesting and further to my post above...

Thanks for sharing. A lot of anxious people here. Wednesday can't come any sooner

All that article says is that after Ferrari turns up the engine, it is 8 tenths slower than Mercedes on one lap pace.

Believe what you want.Ferrari will be ready for the battle it's a long season.Binotto is coy and is very conservative with his statements.Ferrari will pleasantly surprise when the time comes and needs to.Dont worry about dual axis it is just a driver distraction.Remember a great saying anything that has to many moving parts is doomed to fail.I can not wait for the Pu to be fully turned up.

Hey guys look at this video showing the W10 vs the W11. We dont know the fuel load for testing. The W10 looks better in the corners, braking later and having more downforce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tio9Y2lW8lQ

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    Hey guys look at this video showing the W10 vs the W11. We dont know the fuel load for testing. The W10 looks better in the corners, braking later and having more downforce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tio9Y2lW8lQ
    Low fuel vs high fuel makes a difference in how the car behaves too.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Is there a larger version if this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Is there a larger version if this picture?
    Is 4096 × 8994 pixels not big enough ?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Is 4096 × 8994 pixels not big enough ?
    Oh haha. I had to copy link location and open in new window to enlarge it.

Mercedes are having engine issues as reported on f1 .com electrical which they are working hard on to iron out.This is going to be one he'll of a year there will be lots of twists and turns as this season plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Mercedes are having engine issues as reported on f1 .com electrical which they are working hard on to iron out.This is going to be one he'll of a year there will be lots of twists and turns as this season plays out.
    Hopefully not too much drama between the Ferrari drivers. Whoever is the fastest stays in front and space is a requirement in intra team battle.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSMAD View Post
    Hopefully not too much drama between the Ferrari drivers. Whoever is the fastest stays in front and space is a requirement in intra team battle.
    Binotto has already said again for 2020 that Ferrari will use team orders, but they have learned from last season to be more alert as to who gets to move over etc. I can't imagine him going against Seb on a close call, but I hope I'm wrong. Meanwhile @ Merc Bottas has visions of possibly winning WDC with the right car. He gave Lewis a few runs for the money last season. I wonder if team orders will be used more this season there?