Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Australian GP: Practices & Qualifying

We can maybe use the race as a test if its a not counted. try things and learn more with the car

Welp, it didn't surprise me a bit. I was kinda expecting that and they should cancel the race I think. As much as I love watching them race, this is not a time to have fun. This year is gonna be a very long and difficult one. Hope I'm wrong though.

Even if the race goes ahead, I'm pretty sure Bahrain won't go ahead as there might be more COVID-19 cases in the paddock after this race.

NBA is suspended already because of Rudy Gobert and they'll find more players, refs, people in general in and around NBA with the virus.

Be safe guys!
    Ferrari per sempre !

Quote Originally Posted by mizf1 View Post
    We can maybe use the race as a test if its a not counted. try things and learn more with the car
    Yeah, mind as well, try and understand the car a little better....we’ll see if this race is a go ahead or not
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

I wonder, if the whole season will be canceled...

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    I wonder, if the whole season will be canceled...
    It wouldn’t surprise me if it did...at least that way Lewis wouldn’t be matching Michael this year in WDC’s

Quote Originally Posted by 512 TR View Post
    Dude, you're talking about a time period of one and half years during the swine flue outbreak. This Covid-19 has been known worldwide since around New Year's Day. That's what? Three plus months and look what it has done so far? You can't compare the danger because no one really knows. And it's not slowing down.

The measures taken in Sweden and Denmark for example now have never been done before. They are historical. Ban on gathering of 500 and more people (Sweden) and closing schools and universities etc (Denmark). Those are just two examples. If both countries have had F1 races, they would be cancelled.

I hate the MSM as much as the next guy but they don't know either.
    Actually, its two plus months since March isn't over and you are counting from Jan 1.

So in two and a half months we have 4,749 deaths, sounds like a lot. Roughly 1900 per month. China has already reported that they are past the peak, meaning new cases are on the decline. Now, they are dirty Commies so they could be lying, but if they are telling the truth that means, at least in China the number of deaths will begin to drop.

Compare that with H1N1 as I did earlier [203K total deaths] where over the 18 months we had 11,278 deaths per month.

You are misconstruing the difference between threat and response. Just because a government responds in a specific way, does not mean the threat warranted it. The measured you describe in Sweden and Denmark are historical, but are they proportionate to the threat or are they due to hysteria?

Using Google news, MSM mentions of COVID-19 is roughly 1.1 billion over the 2.5 months we have known about it. Compare that to 56.2 million mentions of SARS which lasted roughly 2 years. You don't think public perception is being manipulated? Perception IS reality. Politicians are not immune from this manipulation. When they make a decision to reduce public gatherings to less than 500 is it based on science which says that this virus is much less deadlier than countless others, or is it the media making us panic?

TB kills 3,014 people per day despite us having a vaccine. TB is transferred the same way as COVID-19 as an aerosol created by coughing or talking and has been around much longer. Why didn't we cancel F1 races for TB? During this outbreak we are seeing roughly 56 deaths per day from COVID-19. 56 v 3,014. No, not media hype at all.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Actually, its two plus months since March isn't over and you are counting from Jan 1.

So in two and a half months we have 4,749 deaths, sounds like a lot. Roughly 1900 per month. China has already reported that they are past the peak, meaning new cases are on the decline. Now, they are dirty Commies so they could be lying, but if they are telling the truth that means, at least in China the number of deaths will begin to drop.

Compare that with H1N1 as I did earlier [203K total deaths] where over the 18 months we had 11,278 deaths per month.

You are misconstruing the difference between threat and response. Just because a government responds in a specific way, does not mean the threat warranted it. The measured you describe in Sweden and Denmark are historical, but are they proportionate to the threat or are they due to hysteria?

Using Google news, MSM mentions of COVID-19 is roughly 1.1 billion over the 2.5 months we have known about it. Compare that to 56.2 million mentions of SARS which lasted roughly 2 years. You don't think public perception is being manipulated? Perception IS reality. Politicians are not immune from this manipulation. When they make a decision to reduce public gatherings to less than 500 is it based on science which says that this virus is much less deadlier than countless others, or is it the media making us panic?

TB kills 3,014 people per day despite us having a vaccine. TB is transferred the same way as COVID-19 as an aerosol created by coughing or talking and has been around much longer. Why didn't we cancel F1 races for TB? During this outbreak we are seeing roughly 56 deaths per day from COVID-19. 56 v 3,014. No, not media hype at all.
    I mostly agree with you but you left one factor out and it's WHERE the deaths happen, TB kills millions a year but not in Europe.
    In Italy TB kills around 450 a year and Corona has already killed more than 800 in a couple of weeks.
    It sucks nobody cares about the millions that die in Africa due to TB but that's how the world works these days.

Mc Laren f1 withdraw from fi race.chaos has started, as previously said.No team should be here end of story.

In India, first death casualty due to corona virus happened today in Bangalore city.
    MNCs in Bangalore declared all the employees to take Work from home tomorrow until further notice.

Sky says the race will be held, BBC says the race was cancelled... in few minutes we should know who is right

Sky says the race will be held, BBC says the race was cancelled... in few minutes we should know who is right
    Postponed according to the BBC.. Not 'official' yet.
    Trying to be less angry..

Yes, only TWO plus months which actually proves my point even further. So where will we be in another month's time?

The thing you fail to understand is that you're talking about known effects and deaths because of earlier outbreaks. Those are all, more or less, accounted for. The numbers. What COVID-19 will do is anybody's guess. There is no one in the world that can predict that. Sure, someone might get lucky with the numbers and then call that "science" but that will be a lie. This is not about creating "panic", it's just a sound and logical opinion to rather be safe than sorry. The cricket game in Australia that was used as an example of "nothing happend" with +80,000 spectators now has its first corona case.

Incubation is around two weeks. McLaren have withdrawn. Do you still want the GP to take place with 300,000 in the stands? Besides, the chinese government are notorious liars. You can take what they say at face value.
    Last edited by 512 TR; 12th March 2020 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Postponed according to the BBC.. Not 'official' yet.
    I'm hearing that the race was cancelled... confirmation in under an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by gvera View Post
    I mostly agree with you but you left one factor out and it's WHERE the deaths happen, TB kills millions a year but not in Europe.
    In Italy TB kills around 450 a year and Corona has already killed more than 800 in a couple of weeks.
    It sucks nobody cares about the millions that die in Africa due to TB but that's how the world works these days.
    That's my point! In 2009 H1N1 hid the US pretty hard but it did it receive the same mention in the American news? No. Why?

No one is saying COVID-19 isn't serious, it is. What I am saying is that why is the media driving such a panic?

Yes, only TWO plus months which actually proves my point even further. So where will we be in another month's time?

The thing you fail to understand is that you're talking about known effects and deaths because of earlier outbreaks. Those are all, more or less, accounted for. The numbers. What COVID-19 will do is anybody's guess. There is no one in the world that can predict that. Sure, someone might get lucky with the numbers and then call that "science" but that will be a lie. This is not about creating "panic", it's just a sound and logical opinion to rather be safe than sorry. The cricket game in Australia that was used as an example of "nothing happend" with +80,000 spectators now has its first corona case.

Incubation is around two weeks. McLaren have withdrawn. Do you still want the GP to take place with 300,000 in the stands? Besides, the chinese government are notorious liars. You can take what they say at face value.
    I already said that those Commies are lairs. No doubt.

Yes, you are right, we do have better statistics about older outbreaks. Here is one more thing we know, the death rates currently are much higher than reality because many people infected have very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all and don't seek treatment, are never tested and never entered as a data point. The more information we get, the lower the death rates are. I believe that when the dust settles the mortality rates won't me much worse than H1N1 and there was no panic then.

Again, ask yourself, why is the media trying to drive a panic? What the is purpose? Why cause the instability in the global markets?

Quote Originally Posted by JHAMMER View Post
    Redbull bitches about everything that anyone else comes up with, because everything they do is above board and legal no gray areas.

Question: Are there any Ferrari fans that actually drink Redbull? And why?
    What team DOESN'T think this way? And if there ARE any who don't, then they're not trying.

Not to straddle the fence here, but I think you're both right, and both wrong.

TransAm:
    Sure this is being hyped - mostly by the media. Disaster sells papers and generates clicks. But that doesn't mean there isn't a need for caution. And comparing the death numbers to TB is apples to oranges. The TB virus is present the world over. Covid-9 is a tiny fraction of that. Sure, this is just another flu strain. What makes a "normal" flu less dangerous is that people have likely been exposed to a similar flu strain earlier in their life and have what is called "acquired immunity". The mutation that created this strain created a virus that isn't like any other recent virus. Few, if any, have this acquired immunity. That is what makes it more dangerous - and contagious.

and 512TR:
    It isn't like Covid-19 is something we've never seen before. It will likely follow the same trajectory as every other "new" virus that comes along. The increase in cases doesn't necessarily mean that it's spreading out of control. In the beginning, testing is usually not available on a widespread basis. So the cases that are discovered are the more severe ones that display obvious symptoms. Thus the death rate is higher. Then, as testing becomes available, less severe cases are discovered. The cases increase, but the death rate goes down. How many items have you read lately that say someone tested positive but showed no symptoms? I've read several. Then, as proper precautions are taken among the vulnerable population, and the less vulnerable have been exposed and developed immunity, the virus runs out of a ready supply of hosts and fades.

Take proper precautions, but, in the words of Douglas Adams, "Don't Panic".

And now back to your regularly scheduled racing discussion.

It looks like the Oz race is definitely going to be cancelled, not surprised by this outcome and though I am bitterly disappointed that we may have to wait until May to see the first race (if ever), at least I won't have to get up at 4am on Sunday.

I already said that those Commies are lairs. No doubt.

Yes, you are right, we do have better statistics about older outbreaks. Here is one more thing we know, the death rates currently are much higher than reality because many people infected have very mild symptoms or no symptoms at all and don't seek treatment, are never tested and never entered as a data point. The more information we get, the lower the death rates are. I believe that when the dust settles the mortality rates won't me much worse than H1N1 and there was no panic then.
    It's totally irrelevant to draw parallels to earlier epidemics as this one is unknown, in the sense where it will go. The unknown factor is what makes it better to be safe than sorry. Look what's happening in the sporting world. NHL and NBA have paused everything. EURO 2020 might not happen this year etc.

Again, ask yourself, why is the media trying to drive a panic? What the is purpose? Why cause the instability in the global markets?
    As I said before, I hate the MSM as much as the next guy, and they may have their agenda, but the fact is that they don't know either where this will go. So it doesn't matter what they say and write.

One quote that stuck by me today was this one from the McLaren camp. "The decision has been taken based on the duty of care not only to McLaren F1, employees and partners, but also to the teams' competitors, F1 fans and wider F1 stakeholders". Do you understand what that means?

It might turn out that this perticular McLaren employee might have saved a huge outbreak in Australia by being sick at the right time.

The Australian f1 race was always going to end in tears.I feel for all the fans etc etc.As the pandemic rages the value of f1 is going down the toilet 1.5 billion whipped off.I guess Bernie baby really did fall on his feet.The fia and the fi organisers have handled this poorly.This event makes the Ferrari f1 settlement look like candy.

It's totally irrelevant to draw parallels to earlier epidemics as this one is unknown, in the sense where it will go. The unknown factor is what makes it better to be safe than sorry. Look what's happening in the sporting world. NHL and NBA have paused everything. EURO 2020 might not happen this year etc.
    Again, mixing response with threat. Just because you observe a response [ie canceling of the NBA season] doesn't mean the threat [SARS-CoV-2] warrens those actions. H1N1 killed way more people in 2009 an none of the media outlets created this panic. Why?

Furthermore, I will state again, that the current CFR is based on skewed data. Countless people are infected but show no symptoms, nearly 80% of those who are infected a asymptomatic. This means they don't go to the doctor, don't get tested and dont get put into the formula that determines the CFR. The panic is being caused by the media, with an agenda. The reaction to the panic is what we are seeing re: events being canceled.

The current, global CFR is 3.66% and 2.84% in the US. Estimates vary widely due primarily to the accuracy of the denominator in the above. It is correct to assume that the most severe/highest risk patients are being tested which will elevate the CFR as well as the demographics and underlying risk characteristics among geographic regions. As they test more mild cases, the denominator grows and the rate or proportion decreases. There is evidence of asymptomatic disease which will affect our ability to properly test and diagnose those who are truly infected. Age is a significant risk factor (due largely to comorbid disease) as is smoking (current smoker). For example, the CFR among those 0-19 years of age is 0.1% while that in 60+ yr age group is 6%. Over age 80 is 14%. The CDC are estimating the actual CFR to be between 0.8% and 2% overall.

It's 8am in Melbourne now, people are one their ways to the circuit and still nothing from FIA an F1 O_o

The race is not OFFICIALLY cancelled.

Still pending.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

wow this sounds very irresponsible ***?

and I heard from another source in media onsite they would announce the first 4 races cancelled.

Breaking- Chairman of the Aust GP Corp Paul Little tells me the Melb Grand Prix WILL be going ahead as planned over next three days @TheTodayShow

https://twitter.com/ChristineAhern/s...09235697074176

Breaking- Chairman of the Aust GP Corp Paul Little tells me the Melb Grand Prix WILL be going ahead as planned over next three days @TheTodayShow
    Saw that......

I'm gonna wait for F1 to announce it.

According to two sources, a vote of the teams overnight over whether to continue or not came out as 5-5. Looks like Sky and BBC had some troll sources, when they said teams voted to not race.

According to two sources, a vote of the teams overnight over whether to continue or not came out as 5-5. Looks like Sky and BBC had some troll sources, when they said teams voted to not race.
    Cool.....thanks

So when it’s 5-5 what is that mean? A GO or no GO?