Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 117

Thread: New Engine Program

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Bring on 2022!!!!
    Alonso, Sainz, Mick ,23 races, and much more to look forward to in F-1, 2021. Todt will be missed @ FIA !

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,964
    Turrini: "To me 30HP seems a bit low. For example I know of concerns regarding the oval exhaust (Turrini means some issues around the exhaust area). At Haas and Alfa, they whisper that they don't expect anything exceptional."
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Bring on 2022!!!!
    Exactly.....with the rumour going around that Ferrari could only rub together 30 more ponies from the new engine compared to the old donkey....it looks like we won t even make to the podium this season let alone bag some wins....Merc will be strong with 2 chains and the butler occupying the first two spots of the podium followed by Max on the last step......

    It’s OK, we’ll fight in the midfield again....

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Of course, it’s ferrari being run by incompetent donkeys, therefore always issues....
    Merc for example....a well oiled machine that runs like a Swiss watch......

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,390
    Maybe Sainz strongly fighting Charles can cause one of them to pass Max and Bottas for that 2nd Place!

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kiato-Greece
    Posts
    2,964
    According to reports, Mercedes could see an increase of 22 horsepower to their engine for the 2021 season.
    For perpesctive, the approximated horsepower from 2020:
    Attachment 7773
    AND we are talking about 20-30 hp increase !!!!!
    IF some of this rumours have the slightest truth, i wonder where does Binotto's confidence comes from (engine related)???????!!!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,390
    Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    For perpesctive, the approximated horsepower from 2020:
    Attachment 7773
    AND we are talking about 20-30 hp increase !!!!!
    IF some of this rumours have the slightest truth, i wonder where does Binotto's confidence comes from (engine related)???????!!!!!!
    Well at least if it's 30 more HP that puts Ferrari @ 990. Between Charles and Sainz driving their best they can move into 2nd and 3rd place on the podiums. WCC points on the way!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
    Well at least if it's 30 more HP that puts Ferrari @ 990. Between Charles and Sainz driving their best they can move into 2nd and 3rd place on the podiums. WCC points on the way!
    Dude, what makes you think that our drivers will be 2nd and 3rd on the podium?. Can you please elaborate on your theory?? I for one don’t buy it and here is why....

    If rumor is true, yes we’ll be at 990hp, but Renault is already at 990 and Honda already at 980 with their 2020 engines....so you think they have been sleeping over the winter and NOT bring any improvements at all for 2021?.. you must not think straight if you are thinking that
    Last edited by FerrariF60; 7th January 2021 at 16:43.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,077
    Guys, can you frigging stop please... it's just a sport....
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Guys, can you frigging stop please... it's just a sport....
    maybe to SOME....to others is what we eat, sleep and breathe....lol

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    514
    Something doesn't add up. Binotto has always downplayed everything and for him to be confident enough to go back to third place would mean that the engine is packing way more of a punch than the rumours make them out to be.

    My theory is that the media tend to exaggerate whatever Ferrari does. In 2017, 2018 and 2019, they made a tonne of articles claiming how Ferrari will be the most dominant car to have existed in the history of the sport. Now, back in 2014, they did the exact opposite, claiming that the upgrades Ferrari would bring in 2015 wouldn't be enough. You don't even need to go that far back, just back in Singapore 2019, everyone claimed Mercedes and RedBull would lap Ferrari only for Ferrari to win.

    My suggestion is, don't jump on either bandwagon and don't believe in any performance related rumours, be they good or bad and only believe what you see at the end of the checkered flag in Bahrain (the supposed starting track).
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    India
    Posts
    23
    I don't know.

    I think we'd screw up another season and then the 2022 season wouldn't go according to plan, as well.
    Eventually leading to the sacking of Binnoto.

    (Note: I've always been a pessimist.)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by MSC Fan View Post
    Something doesn't add up. Binotto has always downplayed everything and for him to be confident enough to go back to third place would mean that the engine is packing way more of a punch than the rumours make them out to be.

    My theory is that the media tend to exaggerate whatever Ferrari does. In 2017, 2018 and 2019, they made a tonne of articles claiming how Ferrari will be the most dominant car to have existed in the history of the sport. Now, back in 2014, they did the exact opposite, claiming that the upgrades Ferrari would bring in 2015 wouldn't be enough. You don't even need to go that far back, just back in Singapore 2019, everyone claimed Mercedes and RedBull would lap Ferrari only for Ferrari to win.

    My suggestion is, don't jump on either bandwagon and don't believe in any performance related rumours, be they good or bad and only believe what you see at the end of the checkered flag in Bahrain (the supposed starting track).
    Indeed, this is the best way to take things, also I would suggest that one should simply close their eyes to the italian press, for obvious reasons.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,816
    Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    Wrong link copied?
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

  16. #46
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpeed View Post
    Wrong link copied?
    sorry try this one....

    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/fe...mpression=true

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,816
    Tks F60,

    To bad my Italian is not to good hehe, google translate it is then.
    Hero's come and go, but legends never die!

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    India
    Posts
    23
    Translation:

    Ferrari: the engine does not change the architecture of the hybrid

    Let's find out how the engineers headed by Enrico Gualtieri are trying to recover the power gap compared to last year's 065/2 which was penalized by the FIA ​​regulatory clarifications. An engine without revolutions will be mounted on the SF21, but with modifications that affect every aspect of the engine, both endothermic and electric. And the jump in power will have to be significant.

    Ferrari does not change the architecture of the hybrid part of the power unit. Turbine and compressor will also remain close on the 2021 engine, while a 2022 version for the ground-effect single-seater with the two separate turbocharging elements is being tested, but it is not certain that it will be adopted.

    The concept that follows the address indicated by Mercedes as early as 2014, at the birth of the hybrid era, and which was then also followed by Honda, of bringing the compressor to the front of the engine, chassis side, and keeping the turbo in the traditional position in the queue was analyzed and tested by the technicians coordinated by Wolf Zimmermann.

    The German, in fact, works with the working group that is still very active at AvL (the Graz company that has been collaborating with the Cavallino for years in the development of engines) of the experimental power units and has the task of pushing research forward, introducing innovative solutions that obviously do not stop at the arrangement of the accessories above the headboard.

    However, the department headed by Enrico Gualtieri could anticipate the debut of the "Superfast" cylinder head designed for the 2022 unit already in the endothermic engine this season to achieve greater "pulverization" of the fuel and higher pressure in the combustion chamber (by regulation it can be up to 500 bar, but it is not a threshold that will need to be reached)

    The game is not played only on the design of the piston crown (which remain in steel), of the intake ducts or of the camshafts, but also on the materials and, therefore, on the new alloys that will have to guarantee reliability with the increase performance.

    The Ferrari engine will not give up the wastegate valve (which by regulation can be removed starting this year) to take advantage of the aerodynamic effect of the additional terminal blowing. Reliability problems seem to have been solved for “narrow” drains (with the new gearbox the Coca Cola area will be larger and, therefore, the tangle of the pipes will have to reside in a smaller space).

    The cooling system has also been revised to reduce the drag caused by the sandwich radiators which penalized the aerodynamic efficiency of the SF1000, so the SF21 should more easily reach good top speeds.

    As we had already anticipated on Motorsport.com, the new Ferrari power unit will have a slightly smaller turbine than the one used on the 065/2 in an attempt to improve electric charging: the idea is to have a more efficient ERS so the he delivery of the approximately 160 horsepower of the MGU-K can last longer over the lap. The management strategies of the hybrid will therefore change in an attempt to recover the power gap from Mercedes.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Translation:

    Ferrari: the engine does not change the architecture of the hybrid

    Let's find out how the engineers headed by Enrico Gualtieri are trying to recover the power gap compared to last year's 065/2 which was penalized by the FIA ​​regulatory clarifications. An engine without revolutions will be mounted on the SF21, but with modifications that affect every aspect of the engine, both endothermic and electric. And the jump in power will have to be significant.

    Ferrari does not change the architecture of the hybrid part of the power unit. Turbine and compressor will also remain close on the 2021 engine, while a 2022 version for the ground-effect single-seater with the two separate turbocharging elements is being tested, but it is not certain that it will be adopted.

    The concept that follows the address indicated by Mercedes as early as 2014, at the birth of the hybrid era, and which was then also followed by Honda, of bringing the compressor to the front of the engine, chassis side, and keeping the turbo in the traditional position in the queue was analyzed and tested by the technicians coordinated by Wolf Zimmermann.

    The German, in fact, works with the working group that is still very active at AvL (the Graz company that has been collaborating with the Cavallino for years in the development of engines) of the experimental power units and has the task of pushing research forward, introducing innovative solutions that obviously do not stop at the arrangement of the accessories above the headboard.

    However, the department headed by Enrico Gualtieri could anticipate the debut of the "Superfast" cylinder head designed for the 2022 unit already in the endothermic engine this season to achieve greater "pulverization" of the fuel and higher pressure in the combustion chamber (by regulation it can be up to 500 bar, but it is not a threshold that will need to be reached)

    The game is not played only on the design of the piston crown (which remain in steel), of the intake ducts or of the camshafts, but also on the materials and, therefore, on the new alloys that will have to guarantee reliability with the increase performance.

    The Ferrari engine will not give up the wastegate valve (which by regulation can be removed starting this year) to take advantage of the aerodynamic effect of the additional terminal blowing. Reliability problems seem to have been solved for “narrow” drains (with the new gearbox the Coca Cola area will be larger and, therefore, the tangle of the pipes will have to reside in a smaller space).

    The cooling system has also been revised to reduce the drag caused by the sandwich radiators which penalized the aerodynamic efficiency of the SF1000, so the SF21 should more easily reach good top speeds.

    As we had already anticipated on Motorsport.com, the new Ferrari power unit will have a slightly smaller turbine than the one used on the 065/2 in an attempt to improve electric charging: the idea is to have a more efficient ERS so the he delivery of the approximately 160 horsepower of the MGU-K can last longer over the lap. The management strategies of the hybrid will therefore change in an attempt to recover the power gap from Mercedes.
    Ok, I get that it’s all nice and dandy and will be better and more efficient .....but how can the HP from the mug-k last longer over one lap??? I thought that it is limited to only 33s per lap, NO??.....am I missing something???

  20. #50
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Translation:

    Ferrari: the engine does not change the architecture of the hybrid

    Let's find out how the engineers headed by Enrico Gualtieri are trying to recover the power gap compared to last year's 065/2 which was penalized by the FIA ​​regulatory clarifications. An engine without revolutions will be mounted on the SF21, but with modifications that affect every aspect of the engine, both endothermic and electric. And the jump in power will have to be significant.

    Ferrari does not change the architecture of the hybrid part of the power unit. Turbine and compressor will also remain close on the 2021 engine, while a 2022 version for the ground-effect single-seater with the two separate turbocharging elements is being tested, but it is not certain that it will be adopted.

    The concept that follows the address indicated by Mercedes as early as 2014, at the birth of the hybrid era, and which was then also followed by Honda, of bringing the compressor to the front of the engine, chassis side, and keeping the turbo in the traditional position in the queue was analyzed and tested by the technicians coordinated by Wolf Zimmermann.

    The German, in fact, works with the working group that is still very active at AvL (the Graz company that has been collaborating with the Cavallino for years in the development of engines) of the experimental power units and has the task of pushing research forward, introducing innovative solutions that obviously do not stop at the arrangement of the accessories above the headboard.

    However, the department headed by Enrico Gualtieri could anticipate the debut of the "Superfast" cylinder head designed for the 2022 unit already in the endothermic engine this season to achieve greater "pulverization" of the fuel and higher pressure in the combustion chamber (by regulation it can be up to 500 bar, but it is not a threshold that will need to be reached)

    The game is not played only on the design of the piston crown (which remain in steel), of the intake ducts or of the camshafts, but also on the materials and, therefore, on the new alloys that will have to guarantee reliability with the increase performance.

    The Ferrari engine will not give up the wastegate valve (which by regulation can be removed starting this year) to take advantage of the aerodynamic effect of the additional terminal blowing. Reliability problems seem to have been solved for “narrow” drains (with the new gearbox the Coca Cola area will be larger and, therefore, the tangle of the pipes will have to reside in a smaller space).

    The cooling system has also been revised to reduce the drag caused by the sandwich radiators which penalized the aerodynamic efficiency of the SF1000, so the SF21 should more easily reach good top speeds.

    As we had already anticipated on Motorsport.com, the new Ferrari power unit will have a slightly smaller turbine than the one used on the 065/2 in an attempt to improve electric charging: the idea is to have a more efficient ERS so the he delivery of the approximately 160 horsepower of the MGU-K can last longer over the lap. The management strategies of the hybrid will therefore change in an attempt to recover the power gap from Mercedes.
    Ok, I get that it’s all nice and dandy and will be better and more efficient .....but how can the HP from the mug-k last longer over one lap??? I thought that it is limited to only 33s per lap, NO??.....am I missing something???

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,806
    Power from the MGU H is not limited.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Power from the MGU H is not limited.
    Yeah but wouldn’t that have to be stored somewhere??. And wouldn’t we be doing something tricky again if we were storing more power in the batteries?? Besides the member was talking about mug-k in his statement and NOT mgu-h

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,806
    You can use the MGU H as electrical power to help the MGU K I believe. Could be used to help charge it or help power it.

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,806
    Power from the MGU h can be sent straight to the MGU K and is unlimited. The MGU k is basically an electrical motor that turns into a generator under braking or off throttle. MGU H is a generator on the turbo and it's power can be sent wherever, MGU K, batteries, turbo. Thought they were getting rid of MGU H for next year.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kitchener, CANADA
    Posts
    8,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    You can use the MGU H as electrical power to help the MGU K I believe. Could be used to help charge it or help power it.
    well lets hope that this smaller turbine will do the trick and give us more power and close the gap a bit more to Merc and Honda....cause last year we were the laughing stock of the paddock....with our weak engine

    although i thought a bigger turbo would force more air into the engine, hence more HP....we'll see if we went in the wrong direction again....

    i remember in 2014 ferrari opted for a smaller turbo compared to Merc and renault....and we all know how bad we were back then also....

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,806
    You can only force so much air into the engine with the amount of fuel you're allowed to use, that's why most of these engines don't even use up the full rpm limit. I don't think the turbo we had in 2014 was very efficient at using or producing extra electrical energy. Recovering as much energy from the exhausts as possible and producing more energy for the MGU k is the main target for the MGU H. The rest can go to charging the batteries or keeping the turbo spinning to reduce lag etc. It's unrestricted so I guess this is where big power can be made.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    India
    Posts
    23

  28. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothlessrage* View Post
    Not at all.
    "I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting even when there's only a slightest chance." - Michael Schumacher

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    India
    Posts
    23
    Well, feck

  30. #60
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4,390
    Less down force ; more HP Ferrari should be back in the race for podiums.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •