Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122

Thread: SF21 Challenger Thread

Binotto's " Reality " fortunately is not being followed by our two "Top" drivers. They both want WCC points and drive accordingly. Ferrari seems to be the only team with two #1 s. They cherish the practices and go to the quali thinking 2021 ! I believe every race that there's a good chance Ferrari will have a driver on the podium. A little more HP and faster pits and Ferrari may well surprise even Binotto from where he resides. I have nothing but respect for how Charles is moving forward towards the next race; putting Monaco in the past. He's still with 2021 !!!

It's for 2022 but we have no thread for that!!!
    Ferrari: Superfast engine chosen for ground-effect 672
    Mattia Binotto believes in the turning point of Ferrari and pursues innovation. The team principal wants a Red team back in the fight for the 2022 world championship and the change in the rules with the transition to ground-effect single-seaters can help to mix the values ​​consolidated in recent years, with Mercedes and Red Bull in front of the Scuderia.

If the technicians led by Enrico Cardile started from a blank sheet to design the 672, the design number of the 2022 car, the engineers headed by the other Enrico, Gualtieri, must give a sign of discontinuity, to close the power gap with the Stella and the Honda engine.

A decidedly different power unit from the current one will be mounted on the ground-effect Red with various innovative solutions: in the end the “Superfast” engine designed by Wolf Zimmermann, the German in charge of advanced projects, was promoted.

The gestation of this unit was rather troubled, because at least during the first bench tests it was not giving the results that the technicians were expecting with solutions perhaps too extreme to work immediately, without adequate development work that takes time. And for that, a parallel line of work was designed with an engine that is the child of the current one, with less extreme concepts. A final choice had been postponed to June. Now we have come to the moment of decisions.

In Maranello they cannot make a mistake in their choice: the engine that will be homologated at the first GP next year will remain valid for three years in a row and taking too long a leap forward could preclude the indispensable reliability to immediately aim for the world title.

And, then, the “Superfast” power unit was approved with some less extreme concepts that have been successfully translated from 065/6 which is proving to be better than forecasts. In fact, in the development work, without touching anything that is frozen, this year's engine showed hidden qualities that also allowed a small increase in power compared to the targets that had been sought.

But, as Laurent Mekies admitted, even the engineers of the Cavallino, like the frame builders, have abandoned the development of the V6 2021 to dedicate themselves exclusively to the nascent “Superfast”.

The new Ferrari engine adopts the architecture of the supercharging system that will see the separation of turbine and compressor, taking up the concept introduced by Mercedes and then adopted by Honda.

The… copying is aimed at introducing the compressor inside the intake box to give a very low and compact 6-cylinder in favor of more extreme aerodynamics. The name "Superfast" would be justified by a combustion chamber capable of an explosion phase with very fast ignition times.

Unpublished intake ducts capable of creating turbulent motions are being studied which will favor the speed of flame propagation, giving more homogeneity to the air-petrol mixture and to the bursting phase.

Therefore, Binotto must be recognized with a fair dose of courage in marrying a project that was born with many unknowns, but which over time is proving to have very interesting concepts: the next six months will be crucial to giving birth to that power unit. who will have to bring the Scuderia back to constantly fighting for victory. Because words will have to be matched by facts ...
    https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...suolo/6525035/
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    It's for 2022 but we have no thread for that!!!

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...suolo/6525035/
    I'll ne cautious with term SUPERFAST. We all remember Rory floor, new pistons, and other SF things...

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    I'll ne cautious with term SUPERFAST. We all remember Rory floor, new pistons, and other SF things...
    Its just a nickname for Zimmermanns design . if it will deliver we just have to wait !!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Well it’s a no brainer that we had to go the Merc way with the split turbo which was proven to be the winning design since 2014....apart from our own pushing the envelope limits in 2019 when arguably had THE BEST engine on the grid.....some may say at the expense of “cheating “....

And since Honda too adopted this design, clearly brought them almost on par with Merc....so we had to do something and come up with our own split turbo design even if it will only be for 3 more years....hopefully along with the new aero rules will bring us the LONG AWAITED WCC.....and wdc for one of our drivers in 2022

Low Downforce FW and RW for Baku

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yeah we will be 4th this year. We probably will be better then McLaren in some races but in general they are half a step ahead of us !!!
    Me personally don't bother much about this.
    The million dollar question is what will happen next year???
    For me this is decisive year. If we won't manage to produce a winning car (at least like this years RB and I really mean at least) then it's almost game over for my hopes for this team. I mean I'll still gonna support our team but like from a distance and don't gonna bother about competitiveness, updates etc. I'll probably not gonna watch all races. We'll thats me!!!!
    I agree.
    People were crucifying me for saying so.
    4th is the most realistic outcome, because once Ricciardo becomes more consistent we'll have a tough battle.
    The McMerc's chassis isn't as versatile as ours, but our power-unit isn't as strong as the Merc's as well.
    Also, we need to watch out for the outcome of the flexi-wing protest.
    Given how we have come up short at each protest, I'm worried about that.

I hope we beat the McMerc's, but given our last season: the progress we've made under the much-scrutinized Binnoto-regime and the 2020 season is admirable.
    I see this year as a build-up for the upcoming seasons.
    Unless we screw up with the power-unit, chassis, or both.

Last race Ferrari quali was on pole and 2nd place on the podium. Another podium could well be on the way this Sunday ! Merc finally out of the 1st place. 2021 season is full of surprises.