Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Austrian GP 2021 - Race

Sainz got a lot better strategy. Charles should start the race on hards

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Lol you reckon that's honesty? Why don't you admit that only white lives matter to you? Clearly you're a bloody racist - I make a remark about Leclerc's driving you stoop to talking about race? How's a bit of honesty on your side?
    Now your ASSUMING or INFERENCEING!!! How would you now???
    It's not how start but how you finish.

That's true. Vettel have problem to dominate very average Lance Stroll. 2018 car was a beast.

Good race for Ferrari, all year so far apart from France has been so much better than last year. I like the change to sacrifice some quali pace to be better on Sunday. Earlier in the year great quali spots but Sundays were a let down as slipped back on tyre wear but points on Sunday so been a good watch last 2 races. I felt some drivers were over optimistic going round the outside of turn 4, personally none were penalties but once you penalise one all should be. Silverstone going to be interesting as to whether Ferrariveat tyres there as its thec1st tyre breaker since Feance.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Even if you exclude 2019 PU, the 2018 was still better than Merc. Ferrari was on pole in Baku, dominated Spa and was 1-2 in Monza.

If we had Leclerc in 2018, Ferrari would've won the WDC quite easily.
    Okay, if the engine or car was good back then as you say, why have'nt Ferrari progressed???

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    It's funny some guys are trying to say Leclerc is not driving properly LOL
    I don't know. He's a great driver but his aggression is not measured and calculated. And not just this race. There have been a good few incidents like that. He needs a bit more craftiness to get to that legendary level.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Okay, if the engine or car was good back then as you say, why have'nt Ferrari progressed???
    It has progressed. What? 2020-2021 isn't a progress to you?

No politics or bashing members. Think 2 members need log off and have chill out for few hours.

Or, will do it for you both.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

It has progressed. What? 2020-2021 isn't a progress to you?
    Well yes........if your "sick" one day and better the next.....of course your better than yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Well Honda found the horsepower why can't we? They went 6 years without having a competitive engine and this year they have one.
    Exactly!! They had six years to try and select the best design layout thereby going Merc way. While we and Alpine have stuck to the same layout. We have relatively less time to try and get the design layout which helps us get more hp.
    Ofcourse I am assuming that the decision for this new engine layout(if we are)started after the fuel meter scandal. If we were experimenting with this design earlier then surely we stand to benefit.

Don't waste your time.

Now on topic, sure we've hit a bump in 2019. But I trust Binotto's words and I don't doubt Ferrari's engine making abilities. Next year's engine will be good.
    Binotto said our engine won't be the worst this year. It is. But that said I'm also hoping for a good one next year. Our engines have been pretty decent in recent years bar 2020.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Sainz did exactly the same thing to pass Ricciardo!
    Sainz was already ahead before the corner entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    But he set it up with the exit at the previous corner, as Charles was doing....try and pay attention.
    Oh sorry guys, I thought you were responding to my comment about Leclerc being too risky round the outside, meanwhile you were talking about taking a tighter line on exit. I won't argue that point. It just looked like he was losing ground on the exit due to coming in tight but if it's the same thing Sainz did to get past then I was wrong on that score.
    Last edited by ntukza; 4th July 2021 at 16:02.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Noquarter View Post
    Sainz got a lot better strategy. Charles should start the race on hards
    Yup.

Yeah in hindsight should of but if Charles hadn't been forced off twice we might of been higher. Still we had to sacrifice some quali pace for a better Sunday. Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri and the Williams of Russell all went for a more aggressive Saturday setup and it cost them. We made the right decision.
    Not sure about Williams. Russell is punching way above their weight in both quali and the race.
    Forza Ferrari

So happy Max keeps Hamilton from winning yet again!

Quote Originally Posted by JPMFerrari View Post
    So happy Max keeps Hamilton from winning yet again!
    And off the podium too!
    Forza Ferrari

Charles is taking some criticism today but after having a couple of scary moments fighting Perez he survived, but with his strategy and possibly slight damage, he did all he could be expected to do. He also gave way to Carlos gracefully and after his incident with Gasly last week, he needed to be a bit careful. Maybe sometimes he is a bit too aggressive but that's needed when the car isn't the fastest, we'd soon complain if he didn't give it a go. So a solid race from both drivers and as we can't do anything about the engine, we'll have to live with it. Mclaren are getting too quick for comfort and Lando seems to be able to do no wrong. Silverstone and the new sprint races/quali may turn up some different scenarios, not sure where we'll stand on that circuit, and the HAM/NOR/RUS brigade will be drinking it in. Yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Charles is taking some criticism today but after having a couple of scary moments fighting Perez he survived, but with his strategy and possibly slight damage, he did all he could be expected to do. He also gave way to Carlos gracefully and after his incident with Gasly last week, he needed to be a bit careful. Maybe sometimes he is a bit too aggressive but that's needed when the car isn't the fastest, we'd soon complain if he didn't give it a go. So a solid race from both drivers and as we can't do anything about the engine, we'll have to live with it. Mclaren are getting too quick for comfort and Lando seems to be able to do no wrong. Silverstone and the new sprint races/quali may turn up some different scenarios, not sure where we'll stand on that circuit, and the HAM/NOR/RUS brigade will be drinking it in. Yuk.
    People complain if we don't pass cars, people complain if we try and pass cars.....Charles was fine today absolutely fine done all he could to bring home a good result. Perez got 2 penalties yet some seem to blame it on Charles for trying too hard...
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Yeah I guess so. I guess there was a lot of expectation after our highly rated race pace focus, and overtaking on the outside around a corner is generally not ideal, but yes Charles did his best and in the end wasn't too bad. We can't have them all going our way.
    Forza Ferrari

Yeah I guess so. I guess there was a lot of expectation after our highly rated race pace focus, and overtaking on the outside around a corner is generally not ideal, but yes Charles did his best and in the end wasn't too bad. We can't have them all going our way.
    Leclerc fight with Red Bull actually F1 fastest car. It not easy to overtake if you not have grunt on the straights and in DRS train.

Strategy. The team went for different tyre choices for the start for the two drivers, opting for the Hard for Carlos to give him the longest first stint possible, while Charles was put on Mediums. As the race evolved, it showed that the strategy chosen for yesterday’s qualifying was the right one, given that all those who started ahead of the Ferrari drivers on the Softs, finished the race behind them.

Carlos Sainz #55

“I’m leaving Austria feeling confident about the work we are doing weekend after weekend. Today we executed a smooth race with a good strategy, great tyre management and teamwork. We chose to start on Hards, which we knew would make us struggle in the first few laps. That cost me a couple of positions at the start due to the lack of grip but I knew my race was not about lap 1.
    The target was to extend the first stint as much as possible and I managed to maintain a very solid pace saving my tyres. I actually went very long before stopping for the Mediums and from there it was flat out until the chequered flag. I caught up quickly to the cars ahead after passing Yuki (Tsunoda) and then thanks to our teamwork with Charles and a good overtake on Daniel (Ricciardo) I managed to cross the line less than 10 seconds behind Checo (Perez) for P5. We’ve had two good Sundays here in Austria but we are still far from where we want to be. The ambition and motivation is high, so we’ll keep pushing hard to improve for the upcoming races.”

Charles Leclerc #16

It was a frustrating race for me, as I felt I could have got an even better result. Splitting the strategy between me and Carlos paid off for the team in the end. I was struggling to fight my way ahead of Daniel on the Hards in the closing laps of the race and so I let Carlos by to give it a shot, which worked out well for us. Anytime I saw a gap I tried to take the opportunity. There were two close ones with Checo and I think he knows he was a little bit over the limit.
    We have already spoken and cleared the air and, in the end, it’s all part of the game. A 5th and 8th place is not what we want, but I think that we did a solid job today. We’ve been working extremely hard, and every step forward is important. We have to stay consistent and continue like this and hopefully we can confirm out strong race pace in the next few races.

Mattia Binotto, Team Principal

This result is in line with our potential at this track. Fifth place was on the cards and the most we could aspire to. Carlos secured it with a great drive, while Charles definitely deserved better.
    I think the decisions we made yesterday were shown to be the right ones, given how the race went. What I would highlight today is the spirit shown by our drivers, as Charles did not hesitate to make way for Carlos, who was on fresher and faster tyres. That meant we were able to get the best possible result for the team. It’s the right spirit and it’s the way to go as we continue to make progress
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Alonso chasing Russell - not once did he try to force it around the outside around a corner.
    And that means... what?!

FWIW, remember how 'Mad' Max was back in the day? LEC will mature and improve his craft - and look where Max is now!
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    FWIW, remember how 'Mad' Max was back in the day? LEC will mature and improve his craft - and look where Max is now!

And hopefully have a better tool to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

And hopefully have a better tool to work with!
    Charles now has a competitive team mate in Carlos to work with; which will keep both of them at their best. They truly believe in 2021 for podiums.