Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Belgian GP 2021 : Practices and Qaulifying

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    I too was wondering if that 10 HP boost will really allow us to run more wing levels and challenge the McLarens and Willaims in these conditions ?? Don't think so..it is chassis related. For many many years our cars have been pathetic in mechanical grip..Sainz had so much wheel spin accelerating out from last corner today...lap after lap. Definitely a combination of poor aero and mechanical grip in the car today.
    We don't have the horsepower boost yet... not until Monza at the earliest.

I personally think it has to be horsepower, not saying we don't need more mechanical grip, but we have made gains in that department, see Monaco.

Good to see Lando escape from the wreck and hope he's OK after his x-rays, it could easily have been one of our drivers. Saying that, both Charles and Carlos were sent out in the middle of Q2 while expecting more rain any minute, just to get a decent lap in, which they both did. The rain never came and the track improved, hence we ended up P11/13. Still down on power and at Spa this matters, as it will at Monza. Russell and Wiliiams timed their last quali lap perfectly on new inters, so circumstances went against us again, or strategy, or luck. I just hope that we can get both cars into the points tomorrow but if the weather stays like today, it's going to be a lottery.

Salvage as many points as possible and move on,at a power related circuit ferrari are naked and exposed they need more horsepower.Monza will be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by KimiBot View Post
    Looks bad, but I think we will better in quali, hope so.
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    80 liters my buttocks.
    Scroll down to the full wet tire (blue banded)

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/motorsport/f1/tires
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    I personally think it has to be horsepower, not saying we don't need more mechanical grip, but we have made gains in that department, see Monaco.
    So how did Russell in a Williams outqualify Lewis and mostly the rest of the field???? You think his car has horsepower given the conditions at Spa during qualifying??

You don't need max horsepower in qualifying given the adverse conditions at Spa.

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    Definitely a combination of poor aero and mechanical grip in the car today.
    agreed.

The wet exploits the weakness of the car and/or driver.

Mclaren, RedBull and Mercedesl have the best car set-up in the dry and wet given in the hands of the right driver

Ferrari has a somewhat okay car in the dry. Not so much in the wet. Ferrari, after so many years, still has alot of homework to do in adverse conditions. It's not always going to be dry and Ferrari needs to take that into account.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 28th August 2021 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Salvage as many points as possible and move on,at a power related circuit ferrari are naked and exposed they need more horsepower.Monza will be even worse.
    POINTS?!?!? Would be nice if they can score one!

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    POINTS?!?!? Would be nice if they can score one!
    Relax. Silverstone was power circuit and Ferrari was in very good shape. I think Ferrari in race easly score lot of points. Since 10 years Ferrari was always mediocre in wet. Maybe Turkey 2020 is one exception.

Any chance we can steal Russell away from Williams/Merc? That man is talented.

Even though I wouldn't have called it a classic by any means, it makes me so grateful that Le Mans was last weekend makes me realise how bad F1 is.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    Any chance we can steal Russell away from Williams/Merc? That man is talented.
    ummmm.......no. So let's go by your hypothesis and Ferrari steals Russell. Do you honestly think Russell can do better than Leclerc in the SF21 at Spa given today's adverse conditions??

Ferrari has an exceptional driver and a good driver. The car.....not so much.....especially in the wet at Spa.

Yeah I don't buy any 'Russell better than Leclerc' narrative. After all, Charles utterly humiliated someone like Vettel who in turn had destroyed Kimi four years running. Vettel has also proved this year after a slow start that he's a lot sharper than Stroll and probably still is a better driver than Checo.

So, Charles is for real and Carlos is a very good driver to get within touching distance of him. The Williams car is a lot better this year than people realise, also powered by a Mercedes engine. Then my guess is that they're still fully developing the 2021 car to get as high in the WCC as possible (8th) and that means that they'll get quite frequent in Q3 towards the end of the year.

I think Charles could've done a bit better today in qualifying if he'd gotten a bit more luck with traffic on the outlap in Q2. He was faster than Ricciardo in Q1 and he ended P4 on the grid in the end. He's still a good wet-weather driver and regardless of conditions I think he can score a few points tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    ummmm.......no. So let's go by your hypothesis and Ferrari steals Russell. Do you honestly think Russell can do better than Leclerc in the SF21 at Spa given today's adverse conditions??

Ferrari has an exceptional driver and a good driver. The car.....not so much.....especially in the wet at Spa.
    It's the car! Even Max V. couldn't qualify this car in the top four with this SF21.

There's a chance Ferrari gambled with a dry setup for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Yeah I don't buy any 'Russell better than Leclerc' narrative. After all, Charles utterly humiliated someone like Vettel who in turn had destroyed Kimi four years running. Vettel has also proved this year after a slow start that he's a lot sharper than Stroll and probably still is a better driver than Checo.

So, Charles is for real and Carlos is a very good driver to get within touching distance of him. The Williams car is a lot better this year than people realise, also powered by a Mercedes engine. Then my guess is that they're still fully developing the 2021 car to get as high in the WCC as possible (8th) and that means that they'll get quite frequent in Q3 towards the end of the year.

I think Charles could've done a bit better today in qualifying if he'd gotten a bit more luck with traffic on the outlap in Q2. He was faster than Ricciardo in Q1 and he ended P4 on the grid in the end. He's still a good wet-weather driver and regardless of conditions I think he can score a few points tomorrow.
    Williams gambled with an extreme wet setup. See the onboard comparison with Lewis...clearly Russel's car is setup for rain. If it is mixed/drying track then it will be an interesting race...or else it should be an easy Ves victory.

I think Ferrari also went with Merc type lower DF setup and got punished for that. Let's see how the weather pans out.

It seams that by weather forecast, it'll be dry race

SV is just a GREAT person
    https://youtu.be/RscfUd72H7s

It seams that by weather forecast, it'll be dry race
    On the second thought... It might not be...

Watching now F3 Live it is WET!

SV is just a GREAT person
    https://youtu.be/RscfUd72H7s

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    There's a chance Ferrari gambled with a dry setup for the race.

Not getting a race at this rate.