Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dutch GP 2021 : Race

Sainz clearly needs to work on his general race pace on tyre-eating circuits to be a long-term Ferrari fixture. Both at Portimăo and here the pace differential between the two and the late-stage drop off was very hard to explain away.

For 2023 there's Gasly available for example and Norris probably has a performance-related exit clause at McLaren as I sort of expect them to fall off next year so he needs to be on his toes. Incumbency didn't save Vettel's seat although I think he'll probably also be given 2023 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    No! Driver like him in great machinery out in front, way to easy!
    You see where has team mates has been over the past a few years and look at perez in this year also. If it was another driver in that redbull, Hamilton possibly would have been way ahead in terms of points in championship. Max is over driving that car pretty much in every race really so no, I don't think it is easy as you put said.
    Red is the only color!!!

I think only Leclerc would stand a chance against Max as a team mate. No-one else. Hammy clearly has a superior car also this year but can't make it work.

I seriously wonder why Gasly has not been considered for Red Bull instead of Perez. He has shown lot of potential who could utilise the RB's car to its fullest.

1 Max Verstappen NED RED BULL RACING HONDA 224.5
    2 Lewis Hamilton GBR MERCEDES 221.5
    3 Valtteri Bottas FIN MERCEDES 123
    4 Lando Norris GBR MCLAREN MERCEDES 114
    5 Sergio Perez MEX RED BULL RACING HONDA 108
    6 Charles Leclerc MON FERRARI 92
    7 Carlos Sainz ESP FERRARI 89.5
    8 Pierre Gasly FRA ALPHATAURI HONDA 66
    9 Daniel Ricciardo AUS MCLAREN MERCEDES 56
    10 Fernando Alonso ESP ALPINE RENAULT 46
    11 Esteban Ocon FRA ALPINE RENAULT 44
    12 Sebastian Vettel GER ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 35
    13 Yuki Tsunoda JPN ALPHATAURI HONDA 18
    14 Lance Stroll CAN ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 18
    15 George Russell GBR WILLIAMS MERCEDES 13
    16 Nicholas Latifi CAN WILLIAMS MERCEDES 7
    17 Kimi Räikkönen FIN ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 2
    18 Antonio Giovinazzi ITA ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 1
    19 Mick Schumacher GER HAAS FERRARI 0
    20 Nikita Mazepin RAF HAAS FERRARI 0
    21 Robert Kubica POL ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 0

Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    I seriously wonder why Gasly has not been considered for Red Bull instead of Perez. He has shown lot of potential who could utilise the RB's car to its fullest.
    Perez has been amazing in midfield for years every bit as good as Gasly this year, Gasly was thrashed at Red Bull same as Perez so it would just be change for change sake. Also Perez won a race in a Red Bull, Gasly never came close.

Gasly has improved somewhat and it's also the case that the Red Bull cars he drove had a lot worse engines than the 2021 machines so he's going to look worse than Pérez by default in that sense. Checo has been the actual embarassment of this season to be honest. He's regularly almost a second slower than Max over one lap. That's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Gasly has improved somewhat and it's also the case that the Red Bull cars he drove had a lot worse engines than the 2021 machines so he's going to look worse than Pérez by default in that sense. Checo has been the actual embarassment of this season to be honest. He's regularly almost a second slower than Max over one lap. That's bad.
    Red Bull have all the data, own both drivers and pick Perez so it is what it is. Red Bull know best and believe Perez is better than Gasly.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Red Bull have all the data, own both drivers and pick Perez so it is what it is. Red Bull know best and believe Perez is better than Gasly.
    If so then the AT must be a rocketship and Tsunoda really must be the second coming of Taki Inoue

If so then the AT must be a rocketship and Tsunoda really must be the second coming of Taki Inoue
    Maybe. Or we should let Red Bull know as they may have missed something.

I think only Leclerc would stand a chance against Max as a team mate. No-one else. Hammy clearly has a superior car also this year but can't make it work.
    Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    Alonso
    Ain't 2018 no more. Hardly better than Ocon nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    These commentators are useless! Nothing at all on Leclerc.
    I Always watch the race with their commentary muted. Trust me, the one who said "silence is golden" was not kidding. Applies more when crofty and his minions get an orgasm whenever there is something concerning with hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    I Always watch the race with their commentary muted. Trust me, the one who said "silence is golden" was not kidding. Applies more when crofty and his minions get an orgasm whenever there is something concerning with hamilton.
    That's the way to go. Mute SkyF1 and enjoy the race.

Quote Originally Posted by elnano14 View Post
    Alonso
    Lando
    George
    And yes, Lewis
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

No! Driver like him in great machinery out in front, way to easy!
    Nah it's more than that. The boy is talented, mature, focused, and near-perfect. That was a rather stressful race but handled it very well.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

I know. I am thinking of it in terms of helping us to be clearly 3rd team on the track
    Agreed. It could help us avoid being beaten by the likes of Gasly and Norris. That's mega.
    Forza Ferrari

Assuming the upgrade would mean 0.3 s/lap on a track like Zandvoort and 0.5 s/lap at Silverstone it would be a gamechanger.

Silverstone:

HAM 1:26.134
    VER 1:26.209
    BOT 1:26.238
    LEC 1:26.328
    SAI 1:26.507
    PER 1:26.844
    NOR 1:26.897

Zandvoort:

VER: 1:08.885
    HAM: 1:08.923
    BOT: 1:09.222
    LEC: 1:09.227 (going slower on Q3 lap than in Q2 presumably due to overdriving the weak-engined car with lower wing than competition).
    SAI: 1:09.237
    GIO: 1:09.290
    GAS: 1:09.478

In effect, we wouldn't even have to think about Gasly and Norris anymore for the rest of the season.

In race trim it would almost universally be worth half a minute and sometimes more with ease due to different DF configurations.

1 MERCEDES 344.5
    2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 332.5
    3 FERRARI 181.5
    4 MCLAREN MERCEDES 170
    5 ALPINE RENAULT 90
    6 ALPHATAURI HONDA 84
    7 ASTON MARTIN MERCEDES 53
    8 WILLIAMS MERCEDES 20
    9 ALFA ROMEO RACING FERRARI 3
    10 HAAS FERRARI 0

Assuming the upgrade would mean 0.3 s/lap on a track like Zandvoort and 0.5 s/lap at Silverstone it would be a gamechanger.

Silverstone:

HAM 1:26.134
    VER 1:26.209
    BOT 1:26.238
    LEC 1:26.328
    SAI 1:26.507
    PER 1:26.844
    NOR 1:26.897

Zandvoort:

VER: 1:08.885
    HAM: 1:08.923
    BOT: 1:09.222
    LEC: 1:09.227 (going slower on Q3 lap than in Q2 presumably due to overdriving the weak-engined car with lower wing than competition).
    SAI: 1:09.237
    GIO: 1:09.290
    GAS: 1:09.478

In effect, we wouldn't even have to think about Gasly and Norris anymore for the rest of the season.

In race trim it would almost universally be worth half a minute and sometimes more with ease due to different DF configurations.
    Unfortunatly it does nto work this way !!!

Disappointing but not unexpected result, I didn't see any interviews with Charles or Carlos as to why their races turned out to be so mediocre as it was all about Max and HAM. Not sure the hards did us any favours but the mediums probably wouldn't have lasted, and sad to see Nando passing Carlos on the last lap. Charles just kept his head and brought it home, but performance wasn't enough to get close enough to Gasly, he did try but presumably had to back off, fuel or tyre-related? I wish we were bringing our upgrade to Monza because the way things stand, we just won't be able to defend and the sprint race and actual GP will be hard to watch. At least today we gained on Mclaren, but it was all a bit frustrating for us and our drivers.

It a long way back to third best,in many aspects ferrari need more power,and Monza will expose them big time at a power hungry circuit they will be sitting ducks,I expect a very difficult weekend coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    It a long way back to third best,in many aspects ferrari need more power,and Monza will expose them big time at a power hungry circuit they will be sitting ducks,I expect a very difficult weekend coming up.
    Sad but true. Think McLaren performance this week relevant to Ferrari and Monza will be a role reversal maybe worse. Expect Alpha Tauri, Aston and McLaren to have a pace advantage. Getting into Q3 with 1 car would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Disappointing but not unexpected result, I didn't see any interviews with Charles or Carlos as to why their races turned out to be so mediocre as it was all about Max and HAM. Not sure the hards did us any favours but the mediums probably wouldn't have lasted, and sad to see Nando passing Carlos on the last lap. Charles just kept his head and brought it home, but performance wasn't enough to get close enough to Gasly, he did try but presumably had to back off, fuel or tyre-related? I wish we were bringing our upgrade to Monza because the way things stand, we just won't be able to defend and the sprint race and actual GP will be hard to watch. At least today we gained on Mclaren, but it was all a bit frustrating for us and our drivers.
    +1

I was also surprised not to see interviews with our drivers. I waited and waited.
    Forza Ferrari

Charles Leclerc #16

I’m pretty happy with our overall performance of this weekend. Finishing with both cars in the points today is a good result.
    The start was good, but then I didn’t want to take too many risks. I think the main surprise for everyone was how long the Mediums could last. Still, I think that the Soft–Hard combination was the right choice for us. We were very close in pace to the car ahead, but it was just not enough today.
    The atmosphere was amazing, and it was really great to see so many people cheering in the grandstands. I can’t wait to see the same, just in red, in Monza next week.

Carlos Sainz #55

Overall it’s been a positive weekend for the team, although it hasn’t been the best for me, despite the good recovery from yesterday. My race today was very far from what I was looking for. I could not match the pace I had on Friday, as I completely lost the good feeling I’d had with the car up until then. I just couldn’t find the right balance, sliding too much and I had a lot of degradation. I was planning to attack and fight for positions, but I ended up having to defend. We need to analyse what happened today and move on. On the positive side, we scored some good points for the team, which puts us in a stronger position in the Constructors’. Now I am looking forward to Monza. It will be my first Italian GP as a Ferrari driver and I am sure it’ll be a weekend I will remember forever.

Mattia Binotto Team Principal

A solid race from the whole team, which allowed us to bring home a significant points haul for the Constructors’ classification. We knew that, on a track that is very demanding in terms of tyre management, we could have found ourselves in a situation similar to the one we experienced at the French Grand Prix, but the team and drivers have worked a lot on this aspect and the results of our efforts were clear to see.
    Of course, it’s not a result to get really excited about and we are perfectly aware that there is still a lot to do to get back to the same level as those currently fighting for the wins.
    Now our focus shifts immediately to the next race at Monza.After a great show from the Dutch fans this weekend, we can’t wait to be racing in front of our own tifosi and we hope we can give them something to smile about.
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE PER SEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Unfortunatly it does nto work this way !!!
    It's actually not that far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by gump1480 View Post
    And people thought he had a real chance against Ves as teammate !! He is a good second driver
    Actually he was right there with Max when they were teammates. They were split in qualifying results if I recall. Sainz just got shafted on reliablity though.

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Lando
    George
    And yes, Lewis
    What really made me crazy is when they blamed the lack of Qualifying performance from George and Lando on the wind.

that wind, it only effects British drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 330 p4 View Post
    Perez has been amazing in midfield for years every bit as good as Gasly this year, Gasly was thrashed at Red Bull same as Perez so it would just be change for change sake. Also Perez won a race in a Red Bull, Gasly never came close.
    Gasly never had the chance to drive this RBR. If he can be this good with this Alfa Tauri, I am pretty certain he could have a chance to make P1 at one race at least.

My opinion is that RBR wants a very strong #1 at Max and a supportive #2. Perez could be that #2, but if he wants to keep his place, he needs to deliver further.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Considering Bottas' team radios i'm pretty sure he has signed with Alfa Romeo already.