Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Russian GP 2021 - Race

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Finally someone mentioning that. They pitted him 3 laps late for first pitstop, which lost them 3s + 2s for slow pitstop. Instead of being ahead of Russell, he got behind him, Vettel, Ocon and Kimi. Terrible calls from Ferrari pitwall today.
    3 laps too late? you know how our tyres would have lasted to the end then yeah? Or just another armchair expert....
    Forza Ferrari

Alonso, said the gamblers were the ones who pitted for inters. Normally you stay out until you can no longer drive on the slicks. They pitted for inters when slicks could still handle it, which kind of forced those who didn't pit like Alonso, Leclerc, and Norris into their strategies.

Also, when is Norris going to get a penalty. And the fastest lap point taken away. Rules are rules.

Ricciardo saying it was pretty much driver decision to pit or not for inters....
    Forza Ferrari

On Spanish TV, the commentator told Sainz, "Carlos, take off your mask and show us that P3 smile!!"

Carlos:

Well done to Carlos today. In the beginning, I thought we may have a shot at winning the race. But it was still good to see we were able to hold off a Mercedes powered car for that long.

Many drivers were hesitant to pit for inters, understandably, but I think situations like these, the drivers have to trust the pit wall. The pit have all the info to tell where the rain are, how fast its moving, etc.

Max won big today IMO, now he get this engine penalty out of the way and only 2 points behind Leiws
    Should Lewis takes his later, Max would be in a good position to capitalize and get an overall gain in points.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    3 laps too late? you know how our tyres would have lasted to the end then yeah? Or just another armchair expert....
    Well, considering all the guys he got behind (Vettel, Ocon, Kimi, Russell and Stroll) already pitted 10-12 laps earlier, if he wasn't going to last, will they?

Him and Alonso were latest to pit. Leclerc had pit window to pit behind Stroll, who was already on 13 laps old Hards by that time, and ahead of Russel (who was on something like 15 laps old Hards). They waited 3 laps, lost 3 seconds with Ham and Norris, got behind those guys and some (Vettel, Ocon, Kimi) and then had to push and overtake them, wasting his tires (which he did).

Would it be better to pit at lap 32 with 21 lap to go on mediums (and less then half of fuel) or to pit on lap 35 behind 4 additional cars? No brainer, they botched it pure and simple. If he could have gone for 35 laps with hard, 21 with medium was easy peasy (Vettel did 25 with full fuel btw).

finally Norris has been summoned to race control

Quote Originally Posted by darkchild View Post
    Well, considering all the guys he got behind (Vettel, Ocon, Kimi, Russell and Stroll) already pitted 10-12 laps earlier, if he wasn't going to last, will they?

Him and Alonso were latest to pit. Leclerc had pit window to pit behind Stroll, who was already on 13 laps old Hards by that time, and ahead of Russel (who was on something like 15 laps old Hards). They waited 3 laps, lost 3 seconds with Ham and Norris, got behind ALL those guys and then had to push and overtake them (which he did).

Would it be better to pit at lap 32 with 21 lap to go on mediums (and less then half of fuel) or to pit on lap 35 behind 4 additional cars? No brainer, they botched it pure and simple. If he could have gone for 35 laps with hard, 21 with medium was easy peasy (Vettel did 25 with full fuel btw).
    how did Leclerc lose time with Norris and Hamilton? He simply let them by.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    how did Leclerc lose time with Norris and Hamilton? He simply let them by.
    You always lose time when defending against faster drivers, not like he let them by on straight. I watched live timing and he lost 3s in last 3 laps or so (10s behind Perez to 13s behind, others behind didnt).

According to Ferrari’s race report it was Charles’ decision: “He decided to stay out when the rain came, but went off the track, losing valuable time when the rain increased in intensity.”

The team has to overrule a driver and pay attention to what's going on. Basically shout "Norris is going off in S2 right now"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEK View Post
    He clearly showed how to drive in the rain.

Also, when is Norris going to get a penalty. And the fastest lap point taken away. Rules are rules.
    Which rule did he violate?
    I did not watch the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiklub View Post
    According to Ferrari’s race report it was Charles’ decision: “He decided to stay out when the rain came, but went off the track, losing valuable time when the rain increased in intensity.”
    That is weird. From his interview (and allegedly team radio), he wanted to pit same lap as Sainz and Max, but tires were ready for Sainz. So when next lap came and he wanted to pit, they told him if he can keep it on track its better to continue.

Disappointing race end for Charles. But his racing pace was really very good on one of the most demanding circuits in terms of power. This bodes well for the future

Look on the bright side the new PU is reliable and ferrari could match RB for pace so all bodes well for remaining races i don't necessarily see verstapen nor hamilton dominating the remaining races.

Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    He turned into the pits and the slid out again onto the track due to rain, but then he turned back again into the pits.

Quote Originally Posted by 20000rpm View Post
    Entering the pits the wrong way after aquaplanning.

He turned into the pits and the slid out again onto the track due to rain, but then he turned back again into the pits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post
    Lando crossed the white line when entering the pits(he entered way too late) which is a no no. He will get penalized for it.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso Svedese View Post

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Look on the bright side the new PU is reliable and ferrari could match RB for pace so all bodes well for remaining races i don't necessarily see verstapen nor hamilton dominating the remaining races.
    Yup, He wanted to pit on the same lap as Verstappen-Sainz, but the team was out with Sainz's tyre.

After that it was too late.

Was it a communication problem with the team?

Charles Leclerc : "It wasn’t tbh. Carlos was infront so he had the right to choose before me and at that point when I knew he was pitting, I knew I couldn’t. That’s it.."

(So Ferrari could'nt double-stack both drivers with inters???? )

How did it go wrong?

Charles: "It just started to rain. Quite a bit at one point and we were very competitive in those conditions, the third sector especially was dry,
    So what we were losing in S1 and S2 due to the rain, I was gaining in the last sector."

"So I decided to stay out, but then there was one lap were I was doubting the choice but there was Carlos who was just infront of me and was meant to stop in that lap. And I could not stop at the same time."

"And the lap after that, it was already too late. At that point, I knew my race already was compromised and I stayed on slicks, hoping that the rain would decrease, which did not happen."

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Yup, He wanted to pit on the same lap as Verstappen-Sainz, but the team was out with Sainz's tyre.

After that it was too late.
    leading car gets first call i guess?

Whether it was Charles or the pit wall who decided not to stop for inters was a mistake in hindsight, he had driven a great race up until then, so gutted for him to finish pointless. The part-upgrade seemed to work so looking better for the next races when the full upgrade is available to both drivers. Carlos drove a great race to get P3, fully deserved, feel for Norris but not happy that Mclaren again outscored us. A day of mixed fortunes and some pit issues we didn't need. Haven't seen any interview with Charles and little mention of his efforts on Sky, typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Charles went off same lap....
    He was half a lap behind him.... they had time. Everybody else reacted, we didin't. Simple.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Was it a communication problem with the team?

Charles Leclerc : "It wasn’t tbh. Carlos was infront so he had the right to choose before me and at that point when I knew he was pitting, I knew I couldn’t. That’s it.."

(So Ferrari could'nt double-stack both drivers with inters???? )
    that's a fair point, Merc always are willing to double stack, I haven't seen Ferrari double stack in some time.

If there is one thing they can possibly look at to improve in the future, it's when to use the double stack.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Whether it was Charles or the pit wall who decided not to stop for inters was a mistake in hindsight, he had driven a great race up until then, so gutted for him to finish pointless. The part-upgrade seemed to work so looking better for the next races when the full upgrade is available to both drivers. Carlos drove a great race to get P3, fully deserved, feel for Norris but not happy that Mclaren again outscored us. A day of mixed fortunes and some pit issues we didn't need. Haven't seen any interview with Charles and little mention of his efforts on Sky, typical.
    if they penalize Norris as they should, then Mclaren didn't outscore us.

that's a fair point, Merc always are willing to double stack, I haven't seen Ferrari double stack in some time.

If there is one thing they can possibly look at to improve in the future, it's when to use the double stack.
    Ferrari just did'nt react quickly enough to double-stack given the conditions on the track reacted so quickly. Ferrari or Leclerc was out too long.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Ferrari just did'nt react quickly enough to double-stack given the conditions on the track reacted so quickly. Ferrari left Leclerc out too long.
    the conditions changed very quickly in one lap. not much they could do. Alonso and Vettel got caught too.