Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

What’s with Alfa and HAAS?! So little running for them. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    That undercut is unbelievable. Also look how big and far forward the tunnel strakes are. Teams are allowed 4, and Red Bull are using 2 as far forward as they can get. Surely this is to control the wake off the front tire as quickly as possible and then out wash it away from the undercut. Meanwhile the inner strake helps grab all that juicy air to feed to the undercut and down the body. Their floor appears appears to be the most genuine too, at least I hope so because they have all sorts of tricks going on.

Aerodynamically, this car scares me the most. But Newey has made some impressive designs before that struggled with cooling or other reliability issues.
    I think we still have a chance, at least on high speed tracks :
    Attachment 7958
    Last edited by Gilles; 23rd February 2022 at 16:01.

Both Mercedes and Red Bull cars now have louvres.

Chatter in the paddock, both Ferrari and Mercedes look impressive out on track.

# F1 #FUnoAT # F1Testing Turn 7-8, quick change of direction. Observing the # FerrariF175 for a few laps during its long run, you can see a very precise car on the anti-hero under braking. In addition to the ease of entry, there is an excellent downforce that allows the note a handling that is too different from last season. It is also interesting to note how the Red, "listening" to the new engine, shows a good acceleration in output supported by an efficient hybrid system. Although the> quantity of petrol on board and the goodness of the mappings used, the Ferrari package seems really well assorted. We await more feedback tomorrow
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Was about to post it. Yup, the car looks good on track. And that's the most important thing. It's also showing good reliability.

My god she’s beautiful!
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

153 laps done and no drama. Solid day for the Scuderia.

FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Is ferrari still running launch spec car ?

Quote Originally Posted by phsyklone View Post
    Is ferrari still running launch spec car ?
    YES
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

A promising day for the Scuderia but I've always been wary of putting much faith in any timings, it is a shakedown. And those wheels really spoil the look of the car, but I think it's part of the regs to have those ugly covers.

As I said very early on ferrari will be on point from day one.The talk has already started hamilton praises car ferrari could be months ahead are the headlines,nice but one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    As I said very early on ferrari will be on point from day one.The talk has already started hamilton praises car ferrari could be months ahead are the headlines,nice but one day at a time.
    Yam praised our car?

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Common to all new cars is VERY ugly rims
    100% agree. They look like steely winter wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    100% agree. They look like steely winter wheels.
    and we both would know as we live in Canada....got the same shitty steelies on my Crosstrek
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Way too early for any speculation guys. I think the fastest lap at Barcelona was 1:16.7 last year. There's still a lot to come from all of these cars.
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

I don’t look at lap times, it’s way too early.

Positive sign is good reliability that too on Day-1. This testing is all about mileage & get the feel of the car.
    It would have been good if Haas & Alfa R too circled many laps.

I dont want to get excited but Leclercs last sector time is promising guys.

I'm surprised at how good reliability was today across the field. Totally new regs, new cars, various different approaches and almost all teams have good reliability. Impressive.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

A good days work from us. Reliability top priority and it went without a hitch so all good.

Not so surprised by the reliability demonstrated today. The main change from last year is aero, the mechanical part is an evolution from last year's layout, with even greater longevity to be achieved. During this first session, no one is pushing, and in low temperature conditions, even the cooling is not overly strained (which could be tricky for new packagings, especially for compacts ones). The goal now is to go deep to get data to check the correlation and validate things before updating the cars and pushing them into the next test. In this context, the best teams take advantage of the less prepared and increase their lead even further. I'm happy to see that Ferrari is showing a good level of preparation, they are smiling, it could be the indication that they are getting the results they were hoping for (even if it's only the first day). In the next test, we would see significant changes to the cars, with a first picture of each car's raw potential. I would love to see Mercedes show they could have followed a better concept and Red Bull struggle to make theirs work. But I probably dream a little

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    Not so surprised by the reliability demonstrated today. The main change from last year is aero, the mechanical part is an evolution from last year's layout, with even greater longevity to be achieved. During this first session, no one is pushing, and in low temperature conditions, even the cooling is not overly strained (which could be tricky for new packagings, especially for compacts ones). The goal now is to go deep to get data to check the correlation and validate things before updating the cars and pushing them into the next test. In this context, the best teams take advantage of the less prepared and increase their lead even further. I'm happy to see that Ferrari is showing a good level of preparation, they are smiling, it could be the indication that they are getting the results they were hoping for (even if it's only the first day). In the next test, we would see significant changes to the cars, with a first picture of each car's raw potential. I would love to see Mercedes show they could have followed a better concept and Red Bull struggle to make theirs work. But I probably dream a little
    One can always dream...

Noticed there's very little on-track analysis from experts - what gives? There's next to no breakdown of how the cars went in the 3 sectors, how they rode the curbs, how planted and stable they look, or if the drivers were fighting with the wheel to maintain control. With so much potential grip from the rear, is there now sufficient frontal downforce to avoid understeer? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by From Treviso View Post
    Noticed there's very little on-track analysis from experts - what gives? There's next to no breakdown of how the cars went in the 3 sectors, how they rode the curbs, how planted and stable they look, or if the drivers were fighting with the wheel to maintain control. With so much potential grip from the rear, is there now sufficient frontal downforce to avoid understeer? Cheers
    Only report I saw was that in the slow chicanery fastest cars today were so much slower than the slowest cars last year. Reason given was lack of front end leading to understeer at slow speeds. Also suspensions are much more simple this year and are stiffer so cannot ride the Kerbs plus will give traction issues at low speed, plus cars much heavier. Expected similar laptimes but very slow in mid to slow turns making up for it on the straights and fast corners when ground effect is at it's best.

"Also suspensions are much more simple this year and are stiffer so cannot ride the Kerbs" - no, the tyres are stiffer due to the very low profile, which now means that the suspension has to be softly sprung and to have more compliance. Note that there's more unsprung weight due to the larger rims, which means some added stiffness to the suspension is required to counteract the extra mass when hitting bumps and kerbs - but overall, still much softer than when with the fat tyres of the past.

Does Alfa Romeo have a similar design to the red bull? They look to have very aggressive sidepods and a fairly interesting floor design...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...