Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2022 Pre-Season Testing Thread

"HI GEORGIE "
    Attachment 7966
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

From Gary Anderson

This is a big year for Ferrari. The Tifosi will have had enough of unfulfilled promises so now it is time to deliver. Ferrari has the driver line-up, but does it have the tools?

The car is quite different to the Mercedes, with the sidepod area bulkier. That doesn’t mean it isn’t quick because there are many ways to achieve the same outcome and Ferrari was quick out of the blocks in testing. The power unit also looks strong judging by the speed traps.

On track, the car looks purposeful. When the drivers try to push that bit harder, it stays with them so we definitely haven’t seen the Ferrari’s true potential. That perhaps reflects a willingness to keep its powder dry for now.

After all, Ferrari is or should be a top team so doesn’t need to go for glory runs.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    It was on new C5, the softest available tyre.
    In my opinion, it was just an answer to Russel.
    I don't care at this point for times.
    Yes. I know. Put them on after I posted. His first 19.1 was set on C4s..
    Trying to be less angry..

Faint praise from Gary 'Rhymes with the thing you stop your boat from drifting away'..
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Faint praise from Gary 'Rhymes with the thing you stop your boat from drifting away'..
    got it this time.

#Gazzetta about the new Ferrari PU:

"Rumors speak of major progress on the ICE (internal combustion engine), combined with a super-evolved hybrid part, for a total power output that would now be on a par with Mercedes and Honda.""There were only smiles from Charles and Carlos, who were satisfied with the behaviour of the F1-75, which is already very balanced in fast corners. Both drivers were working on their driving style."
    Binotto: "We're satisfied. The car is in line with our predictions, although it's too early to judge. Rather than bringing upgrades in the next tests, our goal is to get the full potential out of this car in the first race in Bahrain. The PU still needs to be squeezed.
    Gazzetta also wrote that yesterday (Test Day 3), Ross Brawn and Pat Symonds visited the Red Bull garage, looking in particular at the rear suspension of the RB18, which seems revolutionary. Looks like the FIA is keeping a close eye that nobody is using some sort of loophole.
    On Mercedes, Gazzetta wrote that their test start wasn‘t smooth but the W13 is an extreme project with great potential, but maybe with a bit of small issues for now. Engine remains the strong point. Mercedes have some important upgrades planned for the Bahrain test.
    On McLaren, Gazzetta wrote that they found the right setup immediately during the tests and had no reliability issues. The floor of the McLaren is said to be working the best at exploiting the ground effect, so much that the porpoising issue (that many teams have) was only minor.
    #Gazzetta
    Interesting article also written by Autohebdo / FredericFerret today:

[..] "McLaren surprised, even if its way of operating the venturi channel under the car, which allows the ground effect, might not be totally legal. Some teams saw the sides of the floor deform at high speed"LEquipe also wrote that GPS data of the teams are putting Ferrari at the front (in Barcelona) but both Mercedes and Red Bull will arrive with new cars at the second test in Bahrain.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

The way i see it, is that RIGHT now we might be in better position from anybody else together with McLaren.If we would go to race tomorrow morning if think we would be the favorite to take pole and win ,with McL behind us.
    BUT in 2 weeks where all teams will gather and analyze their data and try to find solutions t otheir problems and even some of them will bring major updates to their cars, THEN every could change in te 2nd test and of course in the 1st race !!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    The way i see it, is that RIGHT now we might be in better position from anybody else together with McLaren.If we would go to race tomorrow morning if think we would be the favorite to take pole and win ,with McL behind us.
    BUT in 2 weeks where all teams will gather and analyze their data and try to find solutions t otheir problems and even some of them will bring major updates to their cars, THEN every could change in te 2nd test and of course in the 1st race !!!!
    If the rumor that our big side pods are to keep the air wake from crashing into the rear tire, and that that helps with tire durability, then that might be the case. Not the best qualifying car, but a killer in the race. With the choice of changing tires based mostly on strategy and not so much on need.

Remeber Kimi’s 2007 British GB performance, everyone was freaking out why he wasn’t coming in to change tires, and still putting down blistering laps. I hope we see that every race!

Reasons for hope and concern for F1's 10 teams after the first test

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id...ams-first-test

Ferrari wasn't porpoising when the car was running with the new floor, pretty sure Binotto also said that the new floor has solved that particular problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

Pretty much where I saw it. I think Red Bull sandbagged the most and I think AlphaTauri is better than Aston Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post

Thanks, fratello.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    If the rumor that our big side pods are to keep the air wake from crashing into the rear tire, and that that helps with tire durability, then that might be the case. Not the best qualifying car, but a killer in the race. With the choice of changing tires based mostly on strategy and not so much on need.

Remeber Kimi’s 2007 British GB performance, everyone was freaking out why he wasn’t coming in to change tires, and still putting down blistering laps. I hope we see that every race!
    I do not understand why the wear of the tires would be related to the impact of the air on them. I've also read it in some places, but why would that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    I do not understand why the wear of the tires would be related to the impact of the air on them. I've also read it in some places, but why would that make sense?
    I'd also like to know, doesn't make sense to me. As far as I knew, pushing the wake away from the rear tire primarily is to reduce drag and it might also reduce spillage into the diffuser i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    I'd also like to know, doesn't make sense to me. As far as I knew, pushing the wake away from the rear tire primarily is to reduce drag and it might also reduce spillage into the diffuser i guess.
    I don’t know either. I guess we think of air as this gentle fluid, but air at 100, 150, 200 mph is very different. Very powerful and maybe somehow prevents tires from heating and cooling naturally; like they would in shrouded cars (Le mans). That’s my best guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    I don’t know either. I guess we think of air as this gentle fluid, but air at 100, 150, 200 mph is very different. Very powerful and maybe somehow prevents tires from heating and cooling naturally; like they would in shrouded cars (Le mans). That’s my best guess.
    This is where we would take advantage of larger sidepods to better direct the airflow instead of following the concept of the previous years, retained by Mercedes where the principle was to uncover the upper side of the floor as much as possible to work its downforce. Our solution would be less draggy and safer to cool the PU. Looking at cars, people often give too much value too the projected surface (S in SCX) compared to the CX. The F1's CX is horrible and with the new efficient ventury floor, balance needs could have change in favor to our concept
    However, the air cools the tires, which we notice in a straight line, but that is not the only issue in my opinion and perhaps not the main one in this case.

Ferrari needs either driver qualifying in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, race time. Merc and R bull will be so busy fighting each other they won't even notice Ferrari in the front!!!! !

Sandbagging is hogwash.
    Yeah, I’m going to ask for millions from my sponsors and then purposely go slow in front of them.
    Not buying it.

BTW, not aimed at you paneristi

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Sandbagging is hogwash.
    Yeah, I’m going to ask for millions from my sponsors and then purposely go slow in front of them.
    Not buying it.

BTW, not aimed at you paneristi
    Except history seems to back it up. Sandbagging is a relative term I suppose. In the sense of teams not showing all their cards or hiding performance from their rivals. Happens all the time.

Mercedes engine, 2014-2016 during the season in fact, according to Paddy Lowe.
    Mercedes 2019. Everyone said Ferrari was the team to beat, but Merc brings an update for the last test, and by the first race are back to dominance.
    Mercedes 2021. Claimed to be as good or BEHIND Red Bull, until the car got back in the pack and then was 2 seconds faster. Skip a competitive middle of the season where Merc claimed to be slower, then was a dominant car for the final races.
    Hell, Mercedes every year during hybrid era.
    Ferrari never showed how fast the F2004 until it hit Australia.
    Red Bull never showed just how fast they were 2011-2013.

Of course there are teams that will do hero laps just for sponsors. Remember BAR and Sato in 2005?

Sandbagging works. Get a team to be confident in testing can bring complacency and a team can lose a month in development. Pretty much happened to Ferrari in 2019. Sponsors for the big teams typically don't sign the contract during testing weeks, it's done off the results from the year before. Needless to say, Mercedes and Red Bull are fine. Especially Red Bull since their primary sponsor is themselves.

Drivers said the Cars are faster on mid-high speed corners and slower on slow speed corners

With that being said , 2022 pace must be close to 2021 cars.

So we can expect lap times around 1.16.xxx . So teams have ~3 second to gain.

Just a thought.
    I have the feeling from Binottos claims last year that they where working on 22 car , to Laurent Mekies on launch day that this is the maximum this team can produce and Elkanns statements also on launch day , that this is the decisive year for Binotto and his team. IF they fail to deliver a winning car ,they will be fired or they will resign. And it depends of how far behind we will be on the 1st race if they will get 2-3 races to turn things around or decisions will be made asap .
    So I'm thinking that for a guy that his position / carrier will be decided in 2 weeks ,he doesn't look too worried !!!! I mean that he looks quiet certain but trying to hide it a bit.
    But this is just the way I see things from last year till now!!!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Except history seems to back it up. Sandbagging is a relative term I suppose. In the sense of teams not showing all their cards or hiding performance from their rivals. Happens all the time.

Mercedes 2019. Everyone said Ferrari was the team to beat, but Merc brings an update for the last test, and by the first race are back to dominance.
    Mercedes 2021. Claimed to be as good or BEHIND Red Bull, until the car got back in the pack and then was 2 seconds faster. Skip a competitive middle of the season where Merc claimed to be slower, then was a dominant car for the final races.

Of course there are teams that will do hero laps just for sponsors. Remember BAR and Sato in 2005?

Sandbagging works. Get a team to be confident in testing can bring complacency and a team can lose a month in development. Pretty much happened to Ferrari in 2019. Sponsors for the big teams typically don't sign the contract during testing weeks, it's done off the results from the year before. Needless to say, Mercedes and Red Bull are fine. Especially Red Bull since their primary sponsor is themselves.
    Agree mate, about to write the same.
    Some smaller teams usually do this to get a last minute sponsorship.
    Strong teams do it to hide their pace and especially Mercedes with shameless hypocrisy, so often been arguing that Ferrari is ahead when they have an indecent margin inherited from their cheating on their engine secretly studied years ahead of the others (thanks Montzemolo). This put disorder in the competitor team and then they can stole their talents, with the arrogant message that this is a result of supposed "germanic superiority" (technical, but also with a wider understanding).
    Simple people logically think this is the truth, and the damage becomes enormous, even on the macro-industrial side. The stupid medias make Lewis a genius, the Italians idiot and laughable people. It's a game of bad guys with big money. I'm waiting for fair revenge and I hope the time has come

Angry too and since so long
    Last edited by Gilles; 1st March 2022 at 08:48.

I appreciate the response, fratello.
    Even if it exists, I have to say, though (from Ferrari POV) : fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice (make that multiple times), shame on me.

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    I appreciate the response, fratello.
    Even if it exists, I have to say, though (from Ferrari POV) : fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice (make that multiple times), shame on me.
    Dammit I have a lot of shame coming my way then
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Just a thought.
    I have the feeling from Binottos claims last year that they where working on 22 car , to Laurent Mekies on launch day that this is the maximum this team can produce and Elkanns statements also on launch day , that this is the decisive year for Binotto and his team. IF they fail to deliver a winning car ,they will be fired or they will resign. And it depends of how far behind we will be on the 1st race if they will get 2-3 races to turn things around or decisions will be made asap .
    So I'm thinking that for a guy that his position / carrier will be decided in 2 weeks ,he doesn't look too worried !!!! I mean that he looks quiet certain but trying to hide it a bit.
    But this is just the way I see things from last year till now!!!!
    Surely Binotto has no way of knowing how good Merc and Redbull are. I'm sure he didn't look worried in 2017, 2018, 2019 yet we still lost. All we can deduce is that the Ferrari car is performing according to the team's expectations, the rest we will know at the first race.
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Surely Binotto has no way of knowing how good Merc and Redbull are. I'm sure he didn't look worried in 2017, 2018, 2019 yet we still lost. All we can deduce is that the Ferrari car is performing according to the team's expectations, the rest we will know at the first race.
    He looked really worried in '20 and in '17 '18 '19 he wasn't gonna fired if he lost. Now he will.
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Wow! Thanks for posting it!

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Dammit I have a lot of shame coming my way then

-Lou(is)
    Forza
    Ferrari 16/15

Totus Tuus

Binotto and his team have an f1 car that will win races this year,I can hear the protests now when that engine is taken to max output just like 2019.Well the car already has one title voted the most beautiful by all fi pundits globally.