Thread: 2022 Saudi Arabian GP: Post Race Analysis

2022 Saudi Arabian GP: Post Race Analysis

To start the season, I'd have to say we are 2 for 2 for entertaining races. Some interesting shake ups in qualifying, and a very scary crash from Schumacher. At the time of writing this, no post race penalties have been applied.

Red Bull claim their first pole with Perez (first of career), as well as the race victory. It wasn't a big surprise they were very very strong. Red Bull brought a specific low downforce packaged which proved to be a good decision. Being 6-8 kph faster than everyone is pretty incredible. I feel they have some trickery going on with maybe stalling the diffuser or something the reduce drag, as their speed advantage is not down to power. Verstappen didn't have his best quali, but was great in the race. Amazing clean racing with Leclerc once again and used his straight line speed advantage to make the pass. A deserving victory. Perez, very unlucky with the safety car, but I am not certain he did have the pace to win the race, but a podium was probably very likely.

Ferrari another great result. Leclerc opens the book to some incredibly mindful tactics during the race, and in back to back races is showing an edge in his mental game over Verstappen. It could be moot point, but I would like see how Verstappen gained time during the VSC over Charles. Going into that VSC, Leclerc had a 1.4ish second advantage, and coming out it was well under 1 second. Carlos by his own admission is still a step behind Charles, but he's still driving really really good. A strong podium, beat Perez, that's a good day. I don't know why race control did not tell Perez to give Sainz the position prior to going green, it was pretty clear cut that Sainz was ahead at the SC line. But a race without F1 getting it wrong some how? Almost rare these days. Sainz technically did slow down during the double waved yellows, but in all honesty it's not enough. Drivers need to start respecting the flags better. I should mention I really liked Ferrari's dummy call on the first pitstop that seemed super obvious, but Red Bull fell for it. I think Charles' tires were much better and planned to go several laps longer. And shout out to great pitstops again.

Mercedes still a long way off the top teams. George did everything right and 5th is the best that was possible. Hamilton actually drove a really good race, but was shockingly hit with some bad luck with VSC and that really hurt his race. Signs continue to point towards their PU not being all that great.
    Alpine may have come into the race looking like the best of the rest, but I'm not sure they are genuinely better than Mercedes yet. I don't think the SC/VSC's helped them in the race, but Ocon should have easily been able to dispatch Norris. I really did enjoy the interteam battle, but their racing each other certainly didn't help their race. Sadly, I think Alpine should have stepped in and tried to get them to focus on attacking Russell ahead. Alonso, bad luck for him. Had a great race going, points were almost certain.

McLaren has to been very happy just to get some points. Probably not representative of their actual pace, but take the points when they come. A very strong result for Norris. Ricciardo having a mechanical failure was probably a benefit to him as chances he finished in the points were slim anyways.

AlphaTauri I expected to be better than they are. Tough break for Yuki, but it would have been a difficult day for him regardless. Gasly at least finished the race, but to be behind a Mclaren doesn't look good.
    Haas back in the points again. The car is legitimately pretty good. If things go their way, a top 5 may be possible for them. They will need to maximize points early as their development program probably will not be as strong as other teams. Magnusson again coming in with a good race. Shame about Mick, and it sounds like they may not even have a car ready for him in Australia. Let's hope for the best their.

Alfa Romeo certainly had a car to score points today. Not sure what happened to Bottas, but was another driver struck by bad luck all around the same time. Zhou not a great day. Hopefully his career doesn't shadow Tsunoda's, where after a great debut falls to being one of the worst on the grid. Time will tell.

Aston Martin still feeling the pains. Rumor's is they have a car in the wind tunnel that is drastically different than their current car. That might be encouraging because the current car stinks. Hulkenberg finishing ahead of Stroll is fortunate for him as he dropped like a stone on his used tires. Hamilton and Magnusson didn't struggle on theirs. Fair enough, I'm sure he was physically not as prepared as the other drivers, which could have been a factor in such a demanding race. Stroll getting clipped by Albon, I only saw the one replay, but it appeared Stroll turned in and was at least equally at fault.

Williams had a miserable day, and it's probably going to one of many this season. They appear to be the worst on the grid. Albon certainly is the better driver on the team. Unsure how much he was at fault for his own DNF. Latifi probably needs to find a new career, however he sure has a way of shaking up a race with his incompetent driving.

Driver of the Race: Charles Leclerc. Despite missing out on the win, he pulled out some strategic tactics during the race that got he best of Verstappen. Pure pace and driving, they were pretty equal, but the mental game, Leclerc was better.

Max will be having many sleepless nites this ferrari is not disappearing any time soon.Budget caps will come into play.The car is superfast and very reliable an epic battle awaits Charles can rattle verstappen no doubt.

If not mistaken rb brought big update at last test and something this weekend.ferrari has not done anything yet with updates coming to the car starting Australia

Max sees hope for the title. It will help keep him competitive and not think he's not in the race and crash when ever he sees no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Max will be having many sleepless nites this ferrari is not disappearing any time soon.Budget caps will come into play.The car is superfast and very reliable an epic battle awaits Charles can rattle verstappen no doubt.
    I do think LEC is a little stronger mentally than VER. This could be key - we saw how rattled Max got yesterday as well as in Bahrain.
    Trying to be less angry..

I find it interesting that we've seen Leclerc vs Max go wheel-to-wheel 2x in 2 different race tracks and no hits or "crashtappen" jokes pop up.

We've seen Lewis vs Max happen at times and there's been hits between these two whether it's lewis's fault or Max's fault.

BTW, I'm looking forward for more Leclerc vs Max wheel-to-wheel duels between the two....something we've been missing for awhile. Maybe it has something to do with their karting days.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

I was disappointed with the downforce setup seeing no tire degradation. Ferrari says it was a mistake
    https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-adm...di-arabian-gp/

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    I was disappointed with the downforce setup seeing no tire degradation. Ferrari says it was a mistake
    https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-adm...di-arabian-gp/
    Yeah it's a shame but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Was tricky for us because we didn't get much out of Practice 2 which was the most representative point in the weekend for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by patrese86 View Post
    Yeah it's a shame but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Was tricky for us because we didn't get much out of Practice 2 which was the most representative point in the weekend for the race.
    I think the mistake was made in FP2 when both cars hit the wall and did not do a long run test . They did some on FP3 but by then they were also concentrating on quali pace. Seems to me like the Ferrari is more benign on the tyres generally (so far anyway), so maybe we should take a bit more risks with the downforce and have a faster car.

Couple of points to note

1. Carlos need to raise his A game. I’m disappointed with his performance last 2 races. Although he achieved podium but he’s much more than that.
    2. We need more HP to counter RB straight line speed. Hope upgrades bring us some more performance.
    3. We have good tyre deg. What we need to find more race pace on Hard tyres.

Hope in Australia we have 1-2 locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Couple of points to note

1. Carlos need to raise his A game. I’m disappointed with his performance last 2 races. Although he achieved podium but he’s much more than that.
    2. We need more HP to counter RB straight line speed. Hope upgrades bring us some more performance.

Agreed except for #2. Ferrari got the downforce all "caddy-whompus" somewhat. RedBull ran a faster downforce setup.

Between Max and Leclerc, it's all about DRS zone setup. Max, in the DRS zone on his 2nd attempt to pass Leclerc, turned on the DRS but then turned it off to remain behind Leclerc WHILE Leclerc braked and moved closer to the wall while going into the turn to let Max by BUT Max flat spotted and Leclerc remained in the lead still while Max overtook Leclerc on the straight. That's where both guys are at.
    Leclerc did that last race at Bahrain a couple of times to Max. Max learned that move by Leclerc on the Jeddah race.

Its crazy how close Ferrari and RB performance are.
    After Charles took the lead, I thought we had the win in the bag, but it just goes to show close the competition is this year.

Glad to see plenty of hard racing and respect between these 2 drivers, can't wait for the next race

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    After Charles took the lead, I thought we had the win in the bag, but it just goes to show close the competition is this year.

Glad to see plenty of hard racing and respect between these 2 drivers, can't wait for the next race
    +1

Leclerc plays chess with the DRS zones while Max plays checkers.(at least in these last 2 race tracks). Max goes in for the kill immediately while Leclerc waits and pounces on Max on the next DRS zone. The kid, given his age, is mindfully strategic while Max is mindfully tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post

Hopefully Ferrari has a little more in reserve on the engine side than RB. If they want to run this level of DF for whatever reason and they have more power, we should be able to see the Ferrari's fight back when getting passed the way Leclerc did, or better yet, it will prevent MV from hanging on because of all of these DRS zones...
    Rest in Peace Leza, you were a true warrior...

Lecrerc's trick in known now.
    He will need another tactic in the future. However, I think that the mince to congratuMV was a strategic one. Even if they crash in the future, in people's mind he will be the sportsman.

I still think that the VSC situation is fishy. The yellow flag saved MV because CL could not m use his DRS. I sincerelybelieve that he could pass him if he had with 2 DRS. Anyway...

Regarding the rest of the teams.
    I still think that HAAS pays the price of pay-drivers. If they had a more prepared that MAG driver they would be much higher.
    (And I like the guy)

Ferrari have got a very good package to race and be competitive on every track. This track was more suited to the Red Bull strength even if it wasn't for the VSC we would of won this race.

I'm not worried, the Red Bull should be worried about the Ferrari traction out of corners, Ferrari next upgrade which should eliminate the porpoising and free up some drag out of our car.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    Couple of points to note

Red Bull's top speed is almost certainly down to drag, at least primarily. In the acceleration phase, Ferrari is very very good. I think the Ferrari PU is very very strong, perhaps the best. I personally think Red Bull have found a way to either stall out the floor in a controlled way (which might be why they don't get much porpoising) and it reduces the drag, or they have something else flexing in a way to reduce the drag. They had a huge top speed advantage in Bahrain too. I've never seen a single manufacturer have such a massive straight line advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    Red Bull's top speed is almost certainly down to drag, at least primarily. In the acceleration phase, Ferrari is very very good. I think the Ferrari PU is very very strong, perhaps the best. I personally think Red Bull have found a way to either stall out the floor in a controlled way (which might be why they don't get much porpoising) and it reduces the drag, or they have something else flexing in a way to reduce the drag. They had a huge top speed advantage in Bahrain too. I've never seen a single manufacturer have such a massive straight line advantage.
    RedBull has a rear suspension geometry that absorbs the porpoising effect.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    Agreed except for #2. Ferrari got the downforce all "caddy-whompus" somewhat. RedBull ran a faster downforce setup.

Between Max and Leclerc, it's all about DRS zone setup. Max, in the DRS zone on his 2nd attempt to pass Leclerc, turned on the DRS but then turned it off to remain behind Leclerc WHILE Leclerc braked and moved closer to the wall while going into the turn to let Max by BUT Max flat spotted and Leclerc remained in the lead still while Max overtook Leclerc on the straight. That's where both guys are at.
    Leclerc did that last race at Bahrain a couple of times to Max. Max learned that move by Leclerc on the Jeddah race.
    If not yellow flag in S1 for last two laps, I think leclerc would have got that position back. Anyways it’s done & dusted now. We need to surprise RB with our Straight-line speed. Although that’s not need of the hour.
    I sense Melbourne track should be good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SS454 View Post
    also it is rumoured that RB is pushing their engines to be competitive with Ferrari which is a better car all around at this point while Ferrari has a few more beans left. Lets see if it is true. If it is, it may cost them reliability wise later on

I think Ferrari is still somewhat having porpoising issues which prevent them from lowering the car to use the floor to generate the downforce needed to unload the rear wing. Once they bring the update to the floor, they will be unloading the rear wing.

As long as they don't start talking about correlation issues, I am happy. We have more time in the wind tunnel and eventually, we will come around in the speed traps since our engine has enough grunt to go toe to toe with the Honda.

Charles' fastest lap from his helmet camera
    https://scuderiafans.com/must-see-vi...di-arabian-gp/