Thread: 2022 Emilia Romagna GP: Post Race Analysis

2022 Emilia Romagna GP: Post Race Analysis

The first sprint race weekend of the season and I still heavily disapprove of the sprint race. The sprint race now gives points to the top 8, so it can be quite impactful during the season.

Red Bull had a dream weekend. They brought some small upgrades and high downforce wing package and it seems that was enough to elevate them to being the clear fastest car around Imola. Verstappen dominated with a "pole", sprint race win, Grand Prix win, and fastest lap. Perez a step behind his teammate, but still managed to gather a huge bundle of points which is massive for the constructors championship.

McLaren gets a lucky podium with Lando, but still a very very good result for the team. I would not expect them to be battling for podiums at many races just yet, as even when Norris was cleanly in 4th position, his pace was miles off of the likes of Ferrari and Red Bull. Ricciardo another dreadful race. Had potential for solid points, but it all dissolved in turn 2 with his collision with Sainz. Track position is very important as he had zero level recovery drive afterwards.

Mercedes once again getting a spoon full of good luck. Russell with another race finishing several positions above where he rightfully should be. But credit to him for being there to capitalize. Lewis Hamilton honestly benefited from much of the same good luck with Alonso and Sainz both DNF'ing. Leave it to Nico Rosberg to ensure everyone knows he just did a bad job in comparison to his teammate. Track position proved very important, but Lewis really only tried the exact same thing lap after lap in an attempt to get by the much slower Gasly. Hearing the boss man Toto Wolff coddling Lewis after the race over the radio was a bit cringe since we all saw Russell finish 4th, keeping a fastest Bottas behind despite not getting his preferred front wing set up for the dry conditions.

Alfa Romeo enjoying a strong car and a 5th place is a great result. Hard to say if Bottas' slow pitstop would have changed his result any, but surely it would have gave him better tires to fight the Mercedes at the end, and I think everyone that was not a Mercedes fan was hoping he would pass his former team. I guess Zhou finished 15th, who knows since I don't think I even saw him once on the TV broadcast.

Ferrari. OUCH. It was tough one for the home team favorites. Both Charles and Carlos have made very costly mistakes in the past, and those tendencies are still a problem. I don't blame Sainz for his race DNF, that was just a racing incident and some bad luck. His mistake in Friday's quali was on him though. Leclerc had a solid 3rd place in the bag, which is as good as he could have done, but badly over-drove the car into an embarrassing mistake that easily could have ended his race. The Sky Sport team suggesting his late pitstop was a mistake is nonsense. Leclerc was struggling, his tires were shot, there was no harm in pitting and seeing what happens, and it did put him back in the fight for 2nd. I don't think it ever was an attempt at fastest lap since Ferrari surely would know Red Bull would pit as well. I was baffled why Ferrari immediately pitted the car for a front wing change for just a damaged end plate. This feels like a mistake as it seems very possible that Charles could have finished 4th if he had stayed out. Who knows though.

AlphaTauri still have not figured out there car and perhaps the bottom half of the grid is where they belong. Tsunoda had one of his best drives of his career. Was under a lot of pressure all race and never cracked. Typically gets slaughtered by his teammate Gasly, who instead could only get stuck behind a Williams and fended off a 7 time champ. Technically Imola is the proper home race to AlphaTauri, even more so than Ferrari, so the team should be pleased with that 7th place finish.

Aston Martin getting points is a huge result. Vettel drove a really strong race. In the past Vettel was a savage in these conditions, so perhaps it is no surprised he had a very good race. Even Stroll managed to get into the top 10 and he also had one of the more dicey moments of the race while braking in the wet side of the track while on slicks. Tip your cap to boys under the helmets considering their car is still pretty lousy.

Haas had a tough race to say the least. It really seemed like the car was setup for 1 lap pace over race pace as the car just fell off badly as the laps went on. This meant the driver's were on the defense nearly the whole race. At least Magnusson was who still managed to score points. Meanly Mick Schumacher looked like a second rate pay driver out there and could barely get out of his own way. He needs to improve fast, or his seat could be and should be in jeopardy.

Williams just missing out on points once again. Albon another very very good drive. Drove as fast as the car could go, no mistakes, clean racing, great defending, handled the pressure. Didn't get enough credit for his performance today. Latifi drove as good as he usually drives, so lets move on.

Alpine I suppose had the most miserable time. Ocon never showed any pace this weekend, compounded by a penalty that really made no difference. Alonso however might have had something to battle for points, but his race was destroyed by Schumacher in lap 2. They really are having a hard season so far. Any opportunity of a good result gets squashed by some unfortunate circumstance. I feel their window for good results is closing, as the development race is likely going to leave them behind.

Driver of the Race: Max Verstappen. Pure domination. Was the class of the field by some margin all weekend.

On a side note. Whoever the TV director for this race was needs to get fired. There was so many battles or interesting moments happening and the director would not lets us see it happen. We did however get to see Lewis Hamilton follow Gasly for 25 laps or so. We could see from the scoring tab close battles happening, or the commentators talking about passes being made, yet we never got to see it happen. Very frustrating.

Read somewhere that the cooler temps played to RB's advantage with tire wear? Really hoping that its not true that a few small upgrades were all it took to overtake Ferrari.
    Was AUS a mirage?
    we're number one

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    Read somewhere that the cooler temps played to RB's advantage with tire wear? Really hoping that its not true that a few small upgrades were all it took to overtake Ferrari.
    Was AUS a mirage?
    I think RBR has been close in outright pace to Ferrari since the beginning, so it isn't unreasonable to assume after RBR's updates they may have the faster car outright. Race pace is a different story and is heavily determined by the tires. RBR has struggled with some tire wear in previous races and did not at Imola, where Ferrari did. Conditions should be significantly different around Miami.

The ferrari will be very strong in hot weather so bring on the summer months.

I believe we set up for closer to rain whereas RBR set up closer to dry and this was pretty much it.
    Other than that maybe it is time we roll out an update of sorts, something that will help with drag and the porpoising.
    Both should help with further unlocking speed which will help with fighting with RBR.

I am not worried TBH, as long as we keep our heads down (and regardless of what happened at Imola, it is clear we do).

And regarding what happened, in short :
    1. Sainz was unlucky during the race and tried very hard to recover from p10 to p4; and this is why I do like the sprint format as it gives you a fighting chance in things like that
    2. I will not blame neither Charles or the team for taking a chance, altho man oh man was I mad for what happened while I was watching it live. Was I disappointed? Of course; but with a cool head I realized that we took a chance to fight for more; this shows that we are fighting for every point and we trust both the car and the driver.

Off to the next race.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Your last sentence; Of course; but .... says it all !! I couldn't agree more.

if we had pulled off 2nd. it would have been sweet. Oh well. live to fight another day.

What causes graining on tires? Could it be the cooler weather?
    cause in warmer aus weather we were using the tires better.
    we're number one

Set up cost ferrari they went for a damp set up not necessarily for a rain event.Redbull went for a dry set up rolled the dice and risked it for the biscuit,as we all know it paid of handsomely for redbull and Max,well let's face it they had to do something big because any other result other than victory was not an option,especially where Max's 2nd championship aspirations were concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari4life View Post
    if we had pulled off 2nd. it would have been sweet. Oh well. live to fight another day.

What causes graining on tires? Could it be the cooler weather?
    cause in warmer aus weather we were using the tires better.
    I'd like to know this as well. Hopefully someone will post a brief explanation
    Drive it like you stole it!

Quote Originally Posted by Super M View Post
    I'd like to know this as well. Hopefully someone will post a brief explanation
    I think it was the wet setup. Maybe we run the car slightly higher, and less floor downforce. RB clearly went for a dry setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SFTifoso View Post
    I think it was the wet setup. Maybe we run the car slightly higher, and less floor downforce. RB clearly went for a dry setup.
    i guess what i am hoping for is that the cool temps's plus wet setup gave RB a SMALL advantage as opposed to
    warm weather in AUS gave us a HUGH advantage

Cause it sure would be nice to dominate in Miami.
    we're number one

I stayed a bit on the sidelines and haven't read the forum since the race. First I had a huge job to do, but also I wanted to avoid sterile discussions. I imagine that some brave among you have worked hard to keep the faith, well done for this work.
    About the race, I would say that Charles made no driving error. He wanted to be faster so badly that he asked his car to do what an airplane usually does. The mistake was thinking his car could fly over kerbs. He did it because he saw that the only place he could have a chance to overtake was right after. If he had managed to overtake, nothing says that he could have kept the advantage, because, it must be said, the RB was simply faster. Not because of the temperature or the settings, but thanks to their work and their good management of the tires in these conditions. Maybe if it had been warmer RB would have deteriorated the tyres more, maybe but not sure. SF now have to master the porpoising and reduce the drag, but they are working on it. We just have to be patient, just like Charles have too

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
    I stayed a bit on the sidelines and haven't read the forum since the race. First I had a huge job to do, but also I wanted to avoid sterile discussions. I imagine that some brave among you have worked hard to keep the faith, well done for this work.
    About the race, I would say that Charles made no driving error. He wanted to be faster so badly that he asked his car to do what an airplane usually does. The mistake was thinking his car could fly over kerbs. He did it because he saw that the only place he could have a chance to overtake was right after. If he had managed to overtake, nothing says that he could have kept the advantage, because, it must be said, the RB was simply faster. Not because of the temperature or the settings, but thanks to their work and their good management of the tires in these conditions. Maybe if it had been warmer RB would have deteriorated the tyres more, maybe but not sure. SF now have to master the porpoising and reduce the drag, but they are working on it. We just have to be patient, just like Charles have too
    Charles hit the kerbs at a higher rate of speed which caused him to spin out. He hit the same kerbs earlier in the race at the same area BUUUUT at a slower speed which he managed to make the chicane....just an fyi.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Leclerc's Costly Spin | Jolyon Palmer's F1 TV Analysis | 2022 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bT2hmZXSc
    It's not how start but how you finish.