View Poll Results: Would you want Alonso to return to Ferrari?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 26.09%
  • No

16 69.57%
  • Maybe

1 4.35%

Thread: Would you want Alonso to return to Ferrari?

Would you want Alonso to return to Ferrari?

Just wanna see what other people think about this topic. Seeing how great and stable Alonso is still capable of driving an F1 car despite his age has made me think about it a lot in recent times. Our current drivers may be really nice guys and all but let's be honest, they're both making far too many driving mistakes that a Ferrari driver simply shouldn't make. Alonso is just ice cold, super calm under pressure and rarely makes any mistakes, just the kind of driver Ferrari needs imo.

(And yeah, yeah, yeah before anyone says anything about Ferrari's poor strategies - I'm perfectly aware that what Ferrari needs the most atm is a competent strategist but that still doesn't change the fact that both drivers have made several costly driving mistakes during this championship battle.)
    KEEP CALM AND LOVE FERRARI

Ferrari should/must build the team around Charles. Baku, Spain, Monaco, Silverstone, Hungary - 5 races where Charles would've easily won, if not for Ferrari's pathetic strategy calls and engine reliability issues.

Yes, Charles made a costly mistake in France, but I can also argue that Ferrari leaving him out on worn out tyres also contributed it, they should've mirrored Max and pitted him on the same lap.

France wasn't the only costly mistake Charles made this season. He just gets so nervous when he's under pressure or pushing too hard and that's when the mistakes come. Look at Singapore when he was hunting down Perez, mistake after mistake. I hope he can overcome this for next year. He's brilliant in qualifying but very shaky in the race.

Nobody reads races like Alonso and often he would outsmart the Ferrari's strategists, something Charles lacks.

Why would Ferrari bring Alonso back?

Alonso is old already albeit he still shows his skills on track.

The future is Leclerc and anyone else that helps the team.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

That's a bit damning against Charles considering the efforts he has had to make to take the challenge to RB, yes he has made some errors but I don't believe he cracks under pressure, he just throws everything he's got at it. I agree with tifosi1993 on all counts (see above) and Fernando brought a lot of unnecessary drama to the team. He is one of the absolute best but I think he had a disturbing influence within the team.

The fact Charles has made mistakes basically comes down to the fact he has to OVER drive the car to keep in touch against the RB, if he was given a solid car that could win races I am certain that he could enjoy racing just like MV is doing at the moment. A racing driver he is, unable and unwilling to settle for second, that I admire of Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Horse View Post
    Just wanna see what other people think about this topic. Seeing how great and stable Alonso is still capable of driving an F1 car despite his age has made me think about it a lot in recent times. Our current drivers may be really nice guys and all but let's be honest, they're both making far too many driving mistakes that a Ferrari driver simply shouldn't make. Alonso is just ice cold, super calm under pressure and rarely makes any mistakes, just the kind of driver Ferrari needs imo.

(And yeah, yeah, yeah before anyone says anything about Ferrari's poor strategies - I'm perfectly aware that what Ferrari needs the most atm is a competent strategist but that still doesn't change the fact that both drivers have made several costly driving mistakes during this championship battle.)
    I understand the desire to bring-in Alonso into the team.
    Honestly, IMHO it doesn't make any sense now. It would've made some sense to retain Alonso rather than bring-in Vettel.

As of now, Ferrari is looking to head into the future. Leclerc and Sainz fit well in this model.
    Though, when comparing Charles to Max; consider this, Max usually needn't worry about much except for the driver's duties.
    But, Charles has to deal with issues that relate to both driver's duties and inconsistencies from the team.
    We saw (sometime back) how Max reacted to a team (& driver) mistake in Quali, just imagine if Max was at Ferrari dealing with the same issues that Charles deals with.

Thus I conclude that, if the team gets their act together then it would be right to judge the drivers.
    Let's just wait and see how things play out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    That's a bit damning against Charles considering the efforts he has had to make to take the challenge to RB, yes he has made some errors but I don't believe he cracks under pressure, he just throws everything he's got at it. I agree with tifosi1993 on all counts (see above) and Fernando brought a lot of unnecessary drama to the team. He is one of the absolute best but I think he had a disturbing influence within the team.
    Alonso did bring unnecessary drama to the team, but I still haven't seen a better Ferrari driver than him since he left. I never liked his personality but man can he drive! Verstappen isn't afraid of Charles rn but I'm sure he would be afraid of Alonso and that would bring a totally different energy into this battle. I really like Charles, he's a nice and good kid, but he's still raw and has some way to go before truly being ready to challenge for the title as an equal to Verstappen or Hamilton (when he has a good car). You need to have a certain amount of arrogance and ice cold nerves to fight with a driver like Verstappen and Charles just lacks that at the moment in my opinion. He's got the speed and natural talent but not the self belief. I really hope he can find it sooner rather than later.

France wasn't the only costly mistake Charles made this season. He just gets so nervous when he's under pressure or pushing too hard and that's when the mistakes come. Look at Singapore when he was hunting down Perez, mistake after mistake. I hope he can overcome this for next year. He's brilliant in qualifying but very shaky in the race.
    In singapore it was not him that was nervous, it was the car. But ok.
    Ferrari should/must build the team around Charles.
    They will, Elkaan pretty much sent the order.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    In singapore it was not him that was nervous, it was the car. But ok.

How do you recognize and calm a "Nervous Car? " The team is already built around Charles for sure. How much better is Charles than Carlos? IMO not nearly enough to Rubenize either driver. Let them race!! A good example is George ahead of Lewis!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by F2008 View Post
    Nobody reads races like Alonso and often he would outsmart the Ferrari's strategists, something Charles lacks.
    Not helping him against Ocon.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    I know, but I'm still not sure with Binotto. Just read his press release statement, he pretty much blamed Charles for the high tyre degradation. And strangely kept quiet about Sainz's yet another gravel trap adventure.

But I'm sure Binotto's days are numbered, if the team doesn't improve next year, then he's pretty much gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    I know, but I'm still not sure with Binotto. Just read his press release statement, he pretty much blamed Charles for the high tyre degradation. And strangely kept quiet about Sainz's yet another gravel trap adventure.

But I'm sure Binotto's days are numbered, if the team doesn't improve next year, then he's pretty much gone.
    ''Regarding Charles Leclerc’s pace, the hypothesis is that he pushed too hard at the beginning and did not manage the tires well, which degraded and had graining. In the wet then you do not clean them anymore.

Leclerc himself commented on the radio that he was unable to turn the car the first laps in which he tried to catch up on Max compromised the entire race. It is something to learn from, also because we had already seen something on Friday. It also takes a bit of mea culpa. On the dry and wet laps the car proved to be competitive and to be able to fight for pole and victory.''
    - Binotto

https://scuderiafans.com/mattia-bino...2022-japan-gp/

A good question is would Alonso want to come back to Ferrari ? He's still paid millions where ever he goes!

Charles has the exact same numbers of mistakes with Verstappen.
    And Charles has the added pressure of an unreliable team and (to a point) of Carlos who based to his own performance should be his #2 instead of trying to prove to the whole world that he should be #1 like a spoil brat.

If you take these last points into consideration, you can understand what a great year Charles is having and if the team was not underperforming, how different things could be.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post

Binotto will either get on with the program or will find another place to work in, within ferrari or some place else.

[QUOTE=aroutis;1072086]Charles has the exact same numbers of mistakes with Verstappen.
    And Charles has the added pressure of an unreliable team and (to a point) of Carlos who based to his own performance should be his #2 instead of trying to prove to the whole world that he should be #1 like a spoil brat.

If you take these last points into consideration, you can understand what a great year Charles is having and if the team was not underperforming, how different things could be.[/QUOTE

The team under performing includes Charles. Carlos should be praised for wanting to be #1 as far as how he drives and finishes a race. If anyone is spoiled it would be the driver thinking he's #1 on the track no mater how he's doing during a race. A 1st lap DNF is a sure way to relax if you already know the team has you as #2 driver when they feel the situation calls for letting Him Pass! Remember the pay is the same$$!

I retract this question. I don't ever want to see Alonso anywhere near Ferrari again.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    The fact Charles has made mistakes basically comes down to the fact he has to OVER drive the car to keep in touch against the RB, if he was given a solid car that could win races I am certain that he could enjoy racing just like MV is doing at the moment. A racing driver he is, unable and unwilling to settle for second, that I admire of Charles.
    Agree 100%! If the Ferrari was on a par with the Red Bull AND Ferrari stopped messing up, Charles would be very close to Max on points for sure. Maybe ahead.
    Trying to be less angry..