Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2023 USA (Miami) Grand Prix - Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    AMuS

Did Perez get the worse tactics?

After crossing the finish line, conspiracy theorists confronted the team leadership with the accusation that Sergio Perez had gotten the worse tactics. The Mexican was put on the medium tires at the start, while Verstappen started with the hard rubber. What no one could have foreseen: A lot of rubber was washed off the track by the nightly showers. In addition, the asphalt on the Sunday of the race did not heat up as much as it did in practice.

Both factors contributed to the fact that the drivers struggled with graining on the softer compounds at the beginning. Those who had mounted the yellow-marked Pirellis with full tanks in the first stint had to slow down noticeably in order to avoid the dreaded rubbing of the surface. Anyone who saved the mediums for the second stint could end up gasping more aggressively with the lighter car and the more rubberized track.

Sergio Perez had no antidote to Verstappen that day.

However, this development was not foreseeable, emphasized Red Bull team boss Christian Horner: "Our simulation said that medium-hard was the faster option. We expected that Max would only benefit from a late safety car.

"If you look at the If you look at the starting tires of the cars in the front rows, we weren't the only ones with this assessment."

Perez later complained that he wasted a lot of time, especially in the first stint, because he was driving in overdrive.

"Maybe he could have taken more risks. Max was his only opponent," Horner mused. "It's easy to say afterwards, of course. But I think Max's pace was so strong that he would have won with any strategy today."

Analysis of the stints on the hard tires proves Horner right. Verstappen somehow managed to plow through half the field and not overwhelm the tyres. At the end of his first stint, he was sometimes faster with old tires than Perez with much fresher soles of the same compound.

Also

Perez: Verstappen’s performance not reachable for me

https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/05...chable-for-me/
    article from Mark Hughes on how Max got the better strategy

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-...n-a-formality/

edit: for the record i'm not saying it's a conspiracy theory

you can make a good strategic call, like they did with Perez, and have it lose the race, just becuase someone behind you, with less to lose, made a riskier call, that beat you.

Very similar to what happened to Charles in Monaco last year. Ferrari made correct calls (atleast to start), ( you don't pit from the lead in Monaco), Red Bull had nothing to lose by pitting Perez (hence why they pitted Perez and not Verstappen), and that won them the race. Eddie Irvine agreed with me, and was one of the few to actually speak some sense, as he often is.

Strategy is just as much about reading the race, as it is about playing the probabilities.
    Last edited by Cavallino; 9th May 2023 at 20:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    article from Mark Hughes on how Max got the better strategy

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-...n-a-formality/
    Regardless of who had the better tire strategy, Perez was doomed from the beginning with Max at P9. Perez was a sitting duck to Max.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Regardless of who had the better tire strategy, Perez was doomed from the beginning with Max at P9. Perez was a sitting duck to Max.
    yeah, i guess, in modern F1 it doesn't really matter where you qualify anymore

They should have put Perez on hard tires from the get go; even if he would have lost a place or 2 at the start of the race (IF he would have), he would have passed them when DRS would have been enabled anyway. So that at least we would have seen an equal fight between Max and perez with same tiers in the second stint.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    They should have put Perez on hard tires from the get go; even if he would have lost a place or 2 at the start of the race (IF he would have), he would have passed them when DRS would have been enabled anyway. So that at least we would have seen an equal fight between Max and perez with same tiers in the second stint.
    Max didn't start getting heat into his hard tires till lap 8 thru 10. Perez, if started on hards, would have been passed by 8 cars on mediums until lap 8 thru lap 10 with a fully fueled car and less rubber on the track due to the rain the track experienced the night before.

Either way you cut it, Perez would eventually lose to Max.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Perez nice guy but he is no max put simply he can not beat him on the track with clean air.Only mistakes and bad luck will cost max another WDC the constuctors is already done and dusted in record time.Thankyou ferrari for all of your support regards redbull f1 racing.

AMuS

Did Perez get the worse tactics?

After crossing the finish line, conspiracy theorists confronted the team leadership with the accusation that Sergio Perez had gotten the worse tactics. The Mexican was put on the medium tires at the start, while Verstappen started with the hard rubber. What no one could have foreseen: A lot of rubber was washed off the track by the nightly showers. In addition, the asphalt on the Sunday of the race did not heat up as much as it did in practice.

Both factors contributed to the fact that the drivers struggled with graining on the softer compounds at the beginning. Those who had mounted the yellow-marked Pirellis with full tanks in the first stint had to slow down noticeably in order to avoid the dreaded rubbing of the surface. Anyone who saved the mediums for the second stint could end up gasping more aggressively with the lighter car and the more rubberized track.

Sergio Perez had no antidote to Verstappen that day.

However, this development was not foreseeable, emphasized Red Bull team boss Christian Horner: "Our simulation said that medium-hard was the faster option. We expected that Max would only benefit from a late safety car.

"If you look at the If you look at the starting tires of the cars in the front rows, we weren't the only ones with this assessment."

Perez later complained that he wasted a lot of time, especially in the first stint, because he was driving in overdrive.

"Maybe he could have taken more risks. Max was his only opponent," Horner mused. "It's easy to say afterwards, of course. But I think Max's pace was so strong that he would have won with any strategy today."

Analysis of the stints on the hard tires proves Horner right. Verstappen somehow managed to plow through half the field and not overwhelm the tyres. At the end of his first stint, he was sometimes faster with old tires than Perez with much fresher soles of the same compound.

Also

Perez: Verstappen’s performance not reachable for me

https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/05...chable-for-me/
    They simply can't accept Max drove a hell of a race. All top 7 started on mediums, when in front, you have to start on faster rubber to get off the line well. Max had to drive angry laps initially overtaking 5-6 cars while Perez was in clean air. Those laps from him from lap number 20 to 40 were phenomenal and that's where race was decided. Not to mention Max on older Hards was at times faster than Perez on new Hards

Where were these conspiracy theories when Hamilton was in god mode and it was always Bottas that was being hit with mechanical/pit stop issues?

I'm sure the other teams weren't letting Lewis pass. Lewis was for sure no match for Masi !

Max is max love him or loathe him either way this Dutch juggernaut is simply on another planet.He is the complete racer and he commands respect from redbull which he receives in spades what max wants max receives, and why not he has definitely earned it no doubts.All teams should aspire to redbull there drive and interpretation of the current rules combined with a fabulous technical and design team from all over the globe represents at this point the bench mark in the sport .The mission for ferrari and all others catch them if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    yeah, i guess, in modern F1 it doesn't really matter where you qualify anymore
    It does if the other teams are actually competitive.

Unfortunately Red Bull's pace was so far ahead that it makes no sense for the other drivers to put up a fight against Max when he came cruising through the field.

It's simple Charles stop crashing the car.This is the message from former f1 drivers putting the car into walls is setting ferrari back.In Miami old gearbox replaced new gear box crash 1 crash 2 new untested floor replaced tested new floor .These factors contribute greatly to ferrari progress and car performance its simply not good enough Charles this does not help the team moving foward you have to minimise the risk and drive the car to its known potential or the barriers are going to become your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post

Because we are sick and tired of witnessing utter failure
    I am only disappointed that it took so long time to say good bye to Binotto. And we are still paying the price of that->>

Quote Originally Posted by tpe View Post
    I watched most of the race from Leclerc s on board.
    The car was all over the place. No acceleration, no breaking, no stability in the corners.
    On top of that, it was porpoising like hell. At some point the changed the camera to watch Leclerc's helmet. I got my neck stiff just by looking at the screen. The changed the view almost immediately.