Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Spanish Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

I truly hope these changes are true upgrades and not what we have seen from Ferrari in season development in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Yeh i thought the same. I liked more "our" design. It was unique. BUT ........

If you change a car this much, something has to change in it's performance. Question is, will it be faster or slower..........
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Ferrari has marked inconsistent ride height as being the main culprit for poor race pace. And suspension is the main component that controls the ride height, as well as the tyre contact patch, it's pretty much acts like a spine.
    So not bringing any upgrade for the suspension sounds strange to me.

Hopefully they know what they are doing and the new bits will make the ride-height more consistent.
    Well they said the main goal is to rid the car of the peakiness.so they can push more without burning up tires and worrying about unpredictability. Seems.its more an aero issue than suspension. If they can keep steady, consistent aero down force throughout the race, egardless of fuel, then the updates work.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    Well they said the main goal is to rid the car of the peakiness.so they can push more without burning up tires and worrying about unpredictability. Seems.its more an aero issue than suspension. If they can keep steady, consistent aero down force throughout the race, egardless of fuel, then the updates work.
    that's a good point as always, if it's some sort or aero instability causing the bouncing, bouncing will lead to tyre wear... but you just can't lose performance in the process...

but let's say they do lose a bit of performance and we don't qualify as well but our average times over a sting are better, this forum will be a war zone after qualifying, we'd have to wait until the race to find out.

but the way the bouncing was happening at Monaco, it really looked mechanical

and also the fact that eating tyres has been a quality of the Ferrari single seaters going back to 2018, maybe that's not valid, there was ONE race last year that Red Bull ate their tyres, and they managed to pull that back overnight, or atleast by the time another rear limited circiut popped up
    Last edited by Cavallino; 2nd June 2023 at 03:12.

During FP1 the revised and corrected Ferrari SF-23 will be driven by Sainz, while Leclerc will drive with the old one, for a classic comparative test between the two versions of the car. If the novelties work, they will both have it in the afternoon.

@Formu1a.uno

Helmut Marko on the lack of competition:

"Last year, we had to fight with Ferrari - but they do everything wrong, whereas in F1, mistakes happen easily."

"I'm sorry that the excitement is lost. As you can see, TV ratings on Sky are dropping dramatically. You have to watch that. In Austria, fortunately, the boom is unbroken, as ticket sales show."

Marko should enjoy the moment he is a bragger and redbulls rein at the top will start to close rapidly starting this weekend.If Ferraris upgrades work the way the simulations are saying then I expect a fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Marko should enjoy the moment he is a bragger and redbulls rein at the top will start to close rapidly starting this weekend. If Ferraris upgrades work the way the simulations are saying then I expect a fight back.
    That is a planet sized if. I don’t recall the last time Ferrari mid season development brought the closer to the front instead of further away.

The new sidepods don't look very "Red Bull" to me. It looks like we kept the bathtub sidepod, however tightened it up. We haven't changed to a downwash concept.

https://twitter.com/raceng2/status/1...7TuW4OV4wWnTzA
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Was it just me or did Carlos’ engine sound like a bunch of bolts being shaken in a metal bucket? That sounded awful.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Was it just me or did Carlos’ engine sound like a bunch of bolts being shaken in a metal bucket? That sounded awful.
    Yeah it sounds something definetly wrong

any good links?
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Quote Originally Posted by ferrari1.8t View Post
    any good links?
    Check the F1TV onboard.

Yes, I heard it too.

Maybe it's just me, but Carlos looks more nimble than Charles. Hopefully it's working.

Maybe it's just me, but Carlos looks more nimble than Charles. Hopefully it's working.
    Carlos - 1:17.085
    Charles - 1:17.542

Both on Mediums.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

The new sidepods don't look very "Red Bull" to me. It looks like we kept the bathtub sidepod, however tightened it up. We haven't changed to a downwash concept.

https://twitter.com/raceng2/status/1...7TuW4OV4wWnTzA
    edit. From this direct comparison angle you can definitely see the downwash.

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/st...7TuW4OV4wWnTzA
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

Charles goes faster than Carlos with the old spec sidepods...

LULZ

Quote Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01 View Post
    Charles goes faster than Carlos with the old spec sidepods...

LULZ
    LOL. was just about to say the same thing. Why would Ferrari let their slower driver test the new parts? You wont get an accurate reading that way. If Carlos is slower, he will blame the car which wont give the engineers good feed back. They need to let Charles test the new parts.
    ~FORZA FERRARI~

the sound from Charles's car, very tinny?

Carlos able to overtake a Williams while both had DRS on.

Not sure how much we can read into this since I am sure K Mag is not as fast as Ferrari, but these updates are not exactly confidence boosting so far.

Leclerc was 0.5 second faster than Sainz last year.

So i am gonna wait and see how Leclerc’s lap times with Updates.

FP1:CLASSIFICATION

It's foolish to cry about times right now. The upgraded car looked good from the onboard.

My verdict: The upgrades are working and we will see it being bolted on both cars in FP2.

LOL. was just about to say the same thing. Why would Ferrari let their slower driver test the new parts? You wont get an accurate reading that way. If Carlos is slower, he will blame the car which wont give the engineers good feed back. They need to let Charles test the new parts.
    because they KNOW he's much faster then Carlos.....and carlos needs all the help in the world (aka upgrades) .... so that means that with the upgraded Ferrari taht Charles will also get he'll be ONE SECOND faster then Carlos.....LMFAO

It's foolish to cry about times right now. The upgraded car looked good from the onboard.

My verdict: The upgrades are working and we will see it being bolted on both cars in FP2.
    I don’t have any concern on 1L/Quali …!! If we improved over all in Race pace & Tyre deg. Then I would say upgrades are working. Given the history of Ferrari In development , I am not counting much.

Why some of you stressing............Sainz only 4 tenths off Perez who's in second place..........Leave max out of.........Ummm, for now
    Drive it like you stole it!

The first feedback from Carlos Sainz with the Ferrari SF-23 is encouraging. Especially with high fuel. Sainz shows good balance. Handling according to Sainz on the new SF-23 seems better. Now FP2 for more convincing results.

@Formu1a.uno

Carlos Sainz promoted the updates and they will also be mounted on Leclerc for FP2

@formu1a.uno

Fred Vasseur on Ferrari's change in design/philosophy: "It's a change, it's a change for sure, but it's not a new car. We're opening doors for long-term development, but it's not a complete change."