Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2023 Canadian Grand Prix - Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    yeah, that secret tyre test went a long way for Merc from what i've read, people want to act like it's no big deal, but when on track time is so limited, it's HUGE.

only, what Ferrari did wasn't illegal. so no comparison.
    Not the legality part but the performance bump we got from the test.

After quali I dreaded the race but what a turn round. Hats off to the team.....
    efficent pitstops, tyre dreg good, strategy ok and a good haul of points. Well done team.

Forza Jules

A lot of the usual suspects gone missing after a decent race showing by Ferrari.
    Forza Ferrari

Our two drivers in the points!! The future looks brighter !

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    A lot of the usual suspects gone missing after a decent race showing by Ferrari.
    I think it's because Ferrari as a whole and particularly in this race had a good race from the strategy, tire management, and giving the drivers a "stay in position" (drivers not attacking one another) which worked out all the way around.

Even the commentators were perplexed at why the Ferrari's drivers stayed out when most pitted under the SC(?) or VSC(?).

You can't blame the usual suspects whom "gone missing" after Ferrari messes up race after race after race.......it seems to be their modus operandi over the years.

Hopefully, and I stress this highly, but hopefully this is a wonderful sign of things to come.....but most of us are holding our breath at the moment and enjoying the positive outlook at this GP.
    Last edited by jgonzalesm6; 19th June 2023 at 08:42.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

No team orders will get points for sure. I'm sure Carlos want's to show he's worth as much pay as Charles come next contract. Imagine having scored more points than Charles for 1/2 the pay!

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    I think it's because Ferrari as a whole and particularly in this race had a good race from the strategy, tire management, and giving the drivers a "stay in position" (drivers not attacking one another) which worked out all the way around.

Even the commentators were perplexed at why the Ferrari's drivers stayed out when most pitted under the SC(?) or VSC(?).

You can't blame the usual suspects whom "gone missing" after Ferrari messes up race after race after race.......it seems to be their modus operandi over the years.

Hopefully, and I stress this highly, but hopefully this is a wonderful sign of things to come.....but most of us are holding our breath at the moment and enjoying the positive outlook at this GP.

I was stunned into absolute silence by the fact that Yes, the strategy during the race was the correct one, as it was obvious that overtaking this year from midfield places in a drs train is almost impossible,
    but this does not in any way resolve all strategy issues for the weekend, simply put the blunder during qualifying that put the drivers inside said drs train was a huge strategy mistake, so no, I have not pardoned the strategy team just yet, the judgement is still....pending.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    I was stunned into absolute silence by the fact that Yes, the strategy during the race was the correct one, as it was obvious that overtaking this year from midfield places in a drs train is almost impossible,
    but this does not in any way resolve all strategy issues for the weekend, simply put the blunder during qualifying that put the drivers inside said drs train was a huge strategy mistake, so no, I have not pardoned the strategy team just yet, the judgement is still....pending.
    Only 1 driver Albon done anything different, every other driver done the same strategy in qual. Poor driver performance does not mean strategy error.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
    but it wasn't a blunder, putting a banker lap in was a good idea.

now, what may be going on, is we may have sacrificed qualifying warm up abilities and pace for the better race pace and tyre degredation.

but the last 2 qualifying conditions make it hard to tell

Only 1 driver Albon done anything different, every other driver done the same strategy in qual. Poor driver performance does not mean strategy error.
    not only that but one cannot say that Saturday was bad strategy and Sunday was good strategy.

You don't judge strategy on outcome, because there may be several different outcomes based upon what happens next, some factors that may be out of your control.

You don't judge strategy after the fact on Monday with the benefit of hindsight, as many were doing here on Saturday, and do on here far too often.

The strategy calls on Saturday and Sunday were both good. Even if the outcome on Sunday didn't wind up going our way, we needed to get into clear air and out of the drs train.

but we don't see nearly enough acknowledgement of the fine strategy this weekend.

Getting P4/5 for Charles and Carlos was a good result compared to recent races, especially for Charles who still languishes in P7 in the WDC. But it was an encouraging performance and if the team hadn't made such a hash of quali and we'd started higher up the grid, maybe a podium could have been possible. We all wondered why they didn't pit under the SC but the gamble paid off, so credit to them for being different! More of the same would be welcome.

Iam pleased to hear that Fred has instructed a team factory meeting to discuss the qualifying period and what happened and why.A full analysis has been instructed to happen to hopefully remove the potential of this happening again or minimise it at best.The attitude of sweeping it under the carpet and discussing it over a wine and pizza are gone followed by a pat on the back.Accountability is in play now and consequences will be the result,I like the leadership style.The ferrari wheel is starting to turn again in the right direction.Ferrari will continue to chip away at the concrete block that has surrounded them for way to long for sure its a long arduous road but it will be exiting to watch and even maybe not as long as we think before ferrari is back at the pointy end of formula1.

Quote Originally Posted by wisepie View Post
    Getting P4/5 for Charles and Carlos was a good result compared to recent races, especially for Charles who still languishes in P7 in the WDC. But it was an encouraging performance and if the team hadn't made such a hash of quali and we'd started higher up the grid, maybe a podium could have been possible. We all wondered why they didn't pit under the SC but the gamble paid off, so credit to them for being different! More of the same would be welcome.
    Blimey! Where did that come from? I predicted (wishful thinking...) 5th/ 6th if we were lucky, so pleasantly surprised by the final result...

Thing is, we need to do this EVERY race weekend - and not muck up qualy!
    Trying to be less angry..

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    Iam pleased to hear that Fred has instructed a team factory meeting to discuss the qualifying period and what happened and why.A full analysis has been instructed to happen to hopefully remove the potential of this happening again or minimise it at best.The attitude of sweeping it under the carpet and discussing it over a wine and pizza are gone followed by a pat on the back.Accountability is in play now and consequences will be the result,I like the leadership style.The ferrari wheel is starting to turn again in the right direction.Ferrari will continue to chip away at the concrete block that has surrounded them for way to long for sure its a long arduous road but it will be exiting to watch and even maybe not as long as we think before ferrari is back at the pointy end of formula1.
    It is one of the things needing to change. Sweep under the carpet mentality is beyond catastrophic and Binotto unfortunately had this exact mentality.
    Also, seems to me that team orders slowly but surely come to play.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Singer View Post
    Blimey! Where did that come from? I predicted (wishful thinking...) 5th/ 6th if we were lucky, so pleasantly surprised by the final result...

Thing is, we need to do this EVERY race weekend - and not muck up qualy!
    If we have made progression towards solving the degradation issue, and as it is heard we're bringing more upgrades (!?) next race, better things may be coming our way.
    Hopefully.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

If we had started further up the grid and weren't stuck in the DRS train, we would probably have seen how much more performance was in the car. As it was, both drivers had to conserve tires for a 1 stopper. Would have liked to have seen our cars on mediums later in the race with low fuel and see how we would have matched up against Merc and AM. But even on hards, our pace wasn't so bad and it was better that Perez.

Don't understand these rear suspension rumours. I don't think I've heard anything from Ferrari saying the rear suspension is the issue. If they've figured out their aero and have found a decent set up, they should be able to add performance in pretty big chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
    If we had started further up the grid and weren't stuck in the DRS train, we would probably have seen how much more performance was in the car. As it was, both drivers had to conserve tires for a 1 stopper. Would have liked to have seen our cars on mediums later in the race with low fuel and see how we would have matched up against Merc and AM. But even on hards, our pace wasn't so bad and it was better that Perez.

Don't understand these rear suspension rumours. I don't think I've heard anything from Ferrari saying the rear suspension is the issue. If they've figured out their aero and have found a decent set up, they should be able to add performance in pretty big chunks.
    yeah, it seems they managed to fix the tyre wear issue without touching suspension, and managed to do a one stopper, which a few races ago would have been unthinkable

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    yeah, it seems they managed to fix the tyre wear issue without touching suspension, and managed to do a one stopper, which a few races ago would have been unthinkable
    They did touch the suspension. They tried a completely different setup during the tyre testing and found a step forward.

To me, the problem isn't the aero and it never was. The problem was and is the suspension, and by changing its behaviour through a completely different setup, they have made a solid step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    They did touch the suspension. They tried a completely different setup during the tyre testing and found a step forward.

To me, the problem isn't the aero and it never was. The problem was and is the suspension, and by changing its behaviour through a completely different setup, they have made a solid step forward.
    Source?
    Forza Ferrari

Source?
    https://formu1a.uno/ferrari-e-quel-test-pirelli-a-barcellona-ecco-tutta-la-verita/

Ferrari used a different setup during the tyre testing than what they used during the actual Spanish GP. The car was treating its tyres differently and it was a completely different "working window" compared to what they had during the race.

Of course, it may very will be that Formu1a is making it up and adding their own twist to the aforementioned tyre testing. But I have seen a completely different SF23 in the last race and I'm inclined to believe what Formu1a is saying.

Set up is not just suspension though? Anyway seems like no changes were made to the suspension design. Sounds to me like they found a much nicer aero setup and it stops the car sliding and chewing the tyres.
    Forza Ferrari

Set up is not just suspension though? Anyway seems like no changes were made to the suspension design. Sounds to me like they found a much nicer aero setup and it stops the car sliding and chewing the tyres.
    Different suspension set up, engine mapping and aero, probably a complex mix of lots of things. Maybe aero update allowed a suspension set up change by letting aero work as intended but with a softer suspension setting. Not gona beat RB on pure pace but seems to have moved them forward.

Hmm, could be. I'm not an aero expert or anything like that. With my limited understanding of F1 and fluid dynamics, it seems that the problem is the suspension and pickup points. But Ferrari certainly thinks the problem is aero, not the suspension. So ignore my words.

And speaking of the aero, they have tested the new floor and the new FW today.