Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    That was a good qualifying. Wanted an 1-2 but alas. Charles lost the lap in turns 16-17.

But the elephant in the room is RB's performance. The car that dominated tracks like Monaco, Hungary is out of Q2. So one thing is clear, the technical directive has hurt them. Flexi floor clamp down has clipped their wing.
    I'm so wishing the TD is hurting them, but I think it's track dependent.
    Anyways lets wait till Japan and we'll get a clearer picture.

That was a better show from our guys to-day. Pity Russell got in the middle
    But to-morrow is where the points are. I bet RB will break curfew and work on the car.

Forza Jules

Good job by Carlos, unless he bins it…it’s a race win for him.

Charles was on pole till S2…. Somehow he was struggling in S3 all the weekend not able to nail a perfect lap.

Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I too think the same, but we need to give one more race Suzuka.

As Singapore being one off circuit where Merc 2015 struggled & Now RB 2023. Although it’s a high Technical circuit, I don’t give much reading now on RB’s performance.
    2015 Merc's strength was the engine, not the chassis. Ferrari won in technical tracks like Sepang and Hungary, RB should've won in Monaco if not Ricciardo's botched pitstop. So it wasn't that surprising for them to get beat in Singapore by Ferrari.

But this RB is an entirely different beast. Unstoppable up until now. So to me, it is not a coincidence that both RB are out of Q2 as soon as the FIA clamped down on flexible body parts of the car.

It looks like the repeat of last year's TD39.

2015 Merc's strength was the engine, not the chassis. Ferrari won in technical tracks like Sepang and Hungary, RB should've won in Monaco if not Ricciardo's botched pitstop. So it wasn't that surprising for them to get beat in Singapore by Ferrari.

But this RB is an entirely different beast. Unstoppable up until now. So to me, it is not a coincidence that both RB are out of Q2 as soon as the FIA clamped down on flexible body parts of the car.

You mistaked 2015 and 2016 Monaco race
    Mercedes was the fastest teams in Monaco 2015
    In Hungary the Mercs looked like once again the fastest team (front row locked out). Slow start and crashing with Ricciardo made them fell behind (Hamilton and Rosberg were closing the gap to Vettel lap by lap)

That was a good qualifying. Wanted an 1-2 but alas. Charles lost the lap in turns 16-17.

But the elephant in the room is RB's performance. The car that dominated tracks like Monaco, Hungary is out of Q2. So one thing is clear, the technical directive has hurt them. Flexi floor clamp down has clipped their wing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviamata View Post
    This could be the secret of their enourmous performance
    Quote Originally Posted by nani_s23 View Post
    I too think the same, but we need to give one more race Suzuka.

As Singapore being one off circuit where Merc 2015 struggled & Now RB 2023. Although it’s a high Technical circuit, I don’t give much reading now on RB’s performance.
    agreed (bolded area)

Quote Originally Posted by samboozik View Post
    I'm so wishing the TD is hurting them, but I think it's track dependent.
    Anyways lets wait till Japan and we'll get a clearer picture.
    yep (bolded area)

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/1703068942489772167
    It's not how start but how you finish.

The new regs have hampered red bull.The ferrari pu the best in the business.A ferrari victory is on the cards.Well done to ferrari and the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    The new regs have hampered red bull.The ferrari pu the best in the business.A ferrari victory is on the cards.Well done to ferrari and the drivers.
    Mercedes and McLaren look strong too. I worry about them getting in the way.

Forza Jules

What the ****
    Leclerc got 3 place grid penalty for the same incident back in Monoco, how the **** that Max with the impeding on Tsunoda only get a reprimand ???

In the FIA documents it said "...it was noted that the representative of car 22 chose not to attend the hearing"
    This is rigged

Great quali performance from both drivers, shame Charles couldn't make it a front-row lockout, good to see RB on the back foot for the first time in ages. Russell can be pretty aggressive and with NOR and HAM behind them, our tyre deg will probably be the problem as Merc also have extra mediums to play with. Hoping for a good, clean race.

That’s what it’s 50-50 at the moment. Baku is little similar to Singapore. RB were fastest in Baku & Monaco along with Ferrari.

Hence I’m surprised RB being very slow here. Literally struggled all FP’s. But on the other side, on Friday their race pace was very quick atleast from Perez. Hence I want to give one more race to see RB’s performance with regards to new TD.

Both Red Bull were out in Q2, something is definitely different with this car since the TD. This is not the same car that won all the races this year.

I hope this turns around the season because this was getting boring with Verstappen winning all the races. We will see if Red Bull start eating it's tires tomorrow, it could be indicative.

It will be interesting race and hope for both our guys to finish on the podium.

we have to wait until Suzuka, but i think it would be the part of the plank wear directive too, we didn't see them sparking up a storm today

no penalities for Leclerc?

we took care of our tyres decently in Baku, the race pace was good there.

Charles is on the clean side, if it rains overnight again, that will matter

One more race after Singapore and that will determine if the FIA directive on flexing etc has taken its toll on red bull.If it has then carma has caught them they threw ferrari under the bus when ferrari was a rocket in 2021.That FIA directive to ferrari hurt big time.

Quote Originally Posted by paolo lalli View Post
    One more race after Singapore and that will determine if the FIA directive on flexing etc has taken its toll on red bull.If it has then carma has caught them they threw ferrari under the bus when ferrari was a rocket in 2021.That FIA directive to ferrari hurt big time.
    Ferrari never had a rocket in 2021

In 2019 we were quick cause we cheated ( some would say we had something innovative, but in essence we were cheating by tricking the fuel flow meter) hence why we had a quick car cause we were using more fuel

And in 2022 we also had a quick car at the beginning but it lived to be short due to TD39

It it’s funny how the FIA quickly jumped and introduced the TD39 in 2022 just after a few races, yet this year with red bull took them 13 races to implement this TD after they pretty much won both championships....