Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Australian Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aviamata View Post
    Charles on 3rd quali lap on Engine 1 mode according to @FUnoAT . I hope during later runs he didn't use this mode
    There was zero mention of engine 1 during any qualifying lap. Only during long runs (after the 4th lap) Xavi said that mode "race" is available, but there was no confirmation of Charles using it.

Meanwhile Bearman is slower than Antonelli by about 1.5 seconds during quali in F2 . Antonelli P2 Bearman P16
    Back to earth for Bearman. He needs to improve, still pointless in this year's F2 and made a costly mistake today that demoted him to P16. If he doesn't win the F2 title this year, then the hype will die off as quickly as it has born.

Antonelli looking like a real deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    There was zero mention of engine 1 during any qualifying lap. Only during long runs (after the 4th lap) Xavi said that mode "race" is available, but there was no confirmation of Charles using it.
    Telemetries posted show there was no higher engine mode used.

Albon to take over Sargeant's car for the rest of the weekend. I've never heard of such a thing in my life!
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

FP2, car is on rails. Also, maybe it's just me, but it looks like they are running the car lower than they did in the previous two races.
    well i've read an article that they wanted to experiment something new with the suspension in OZ. so maybe the ran it lower and the car handles better, more downforce and overall much happier drivers with more confidence that they can push more

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariF60 View Post
    well i've read an article that they wanted to experiment something new with the suspension in OZ. so maybe the ran it lower and the car handles better, more downforce and overall much happier drivers with more confidence that they can push more
    Could they not have done this experiment in testing or in one of the practice sessions of the previous races?
    Forza Ferrari
    "And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it."

@FDataAnalysis :

-Leclerc got P1 in FP2 by gaining under braking over Verstappen .The SF-24 (and LEC) seem very strong in this regard, and didn't sacrifice the corner exit too much. He used his signature 'partial throttle' when braking! VER gained a lot in turn 10 and the following straight .
    -The SF-24 seems competitive everywhere in Albert Park (braking, cornering, traction and straight-line speed) . Unless he had significantly less fuel in the tank, this might be LEC’s best shot for a pole position, as he also stated
    Look like a dream team is coming

Quote Originally Posted by ntukza View Post
    Could they not have done this experiment in testing or in one of the practice sessions of the previous races?
    Last race was our mistake as Vasseur said . The team was afraid of tyre degration and run a conservative setup .

Last race was our mistake as Vasseur said . The team was afraid of tyre degration and run a conservative setup .
    Okay, well I guess these early races are for learning as well, given the limited pre-season testing. As long as we are learning the right lessons and moving in a good direction, I am happy.
    Forza Ferrari

Albon to take over Sargeant's car for the rest of the weekend. I've never heard of such a thing in my life!
    Really? So many times the better driver has taken over the weaker driver in F1 , has been a thing ever since 1950.
    The best example has been Fanzio.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Really? So many times the better driver has taken over the weaker driver in F1 , has been a thing ever since 1950.
    "If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari" - Gilles Villeneuve

Finaly got to watch the practice sessions and wow the car looks great. Planted (except the one turn 1 moment for Charles), smooth, the rotation in S3 is incredible. This is the first time for a long time I have a genuine good feeling about this weekend.

"If he can't do it with Ferrari, well, he can't do it." - John Surtees

Giuliano Duchessa from @FUnoAT :

-The closed DRS data shows that Marko is right about PU levels (RB-20 with slightly lower engine mode) , but also that we are slowly returning to something more similar to 2022. Red Bull more effective at very high speed, Ferrari in the corners. SF-24 1.6 seconds faster than the SF-23 is a huge improvement .

-Ferrari proved to be very competitive in the medium and low speed corners , even in the braking sections of Turn 3 and Turn 11, whereas in Bahrain it had suffered that type of braking . Leclerc was faster than Verstappen around 0.2 sec after sector 1 .

-However, Red Bull will need to make some progress ahead of tomorrow, especially in the medium and low speed corners after having started well in Bahrain. Verstappen said: “I think Ferrari is fast, but we still have several things to improve . From this point of view there is nothing crazy or worrying . " Tomorrow the gap should be reduced with Red Bull using more power mode , with an eye on the unknown evolution of the track but Leclerc has already set his sights on Pole Position and is hoping for it .

-Leclerc's long run also amazed Helmut Marko, who declared: “ In the long runs they were impressive. As far as we're concerned, our set up isn't great yet . " Max Verstappen completed just a few laps and Leclerc was faster than Perez in his simulation especially due to the graining that occurred on the Red Bull number 11. the Mexican commented: “I think the degradation was not optimal in that long run , so there's some work to do, and we'll build on that” .

-The closed DRS data shows that Marko is right about PU levels (RB-20 with slightly lower engine mode) , but also that we are slowly returning to something more similar to 2022. Red Bull more effective at very high speed, Ferrari in the corners. SF-24 1.6 seconds faster than the SF-23 is a huge improvement .

-Ferrari proved to be very competitive in the medium and low speed corners , even in the braking sections of Turn 3 and Turn 11, whereas in Bahrain it had suffered that type of braking . Leclerc was faster than Verstappen around 0.2 sec after sector 1 .

-However, Red Bull will need to make some progress ahead of tomorrow, especially in the medium and low speed corners after having started well in Bahrain. Verstappen said: “I think Ferrari is fast, but we still have several things to improve . From this point of view there is nothing crazy or worrying . " Tomorrow the gap should be reduced with Red Bull using more power mode , with an eye on the unknown evolution of the track but Leclerc has already set his sights on Pole Position and is hoping for it .

-Leclerc's long run also amazed Helmut Marko, who declared: “ In the long runs they were impressive. As far as we're concerned, our set up isn't great yet . " Max Verstappen completed just a few laps and Leclerc was faster than Perez in his simulation especially due to the graining that occurred on the Red Bull number 11. the Mexican commented: “I think the degradation was not optimal in that long run , so there's some work to do, and we'll build on that” .
    If in this weekend , Verstappen/Perez show sights of tyre-degradation toward the end of the race then we would know that this is the final strength of current RB-20

Not a big deal really,Logan has been really bad , just as bad as mazepin was. The big surprise is Williams not having a spare chassis. Amateur hour over at Williams.

Helmut Marko said that Ferrari used full power during their qualifying runs while they didn‘t but he said that Charles's longrun was impressive so Red Bull have some work to do in terms of race setup.
    I have a hard time believing anything that comes from Helmut’s mouth. What does he actually do at RB?

It’s only Friday practice but I haven’t seen the car look this good in a long while. Very fast throughout the lap and extremely planted rear end. They have definitely made progress with the rear suspension set up.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    You mean it's not unheard of for a driver to crash his car and then take his teammate's car? Wow, I find that shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
    Not a big deal really,Logan has been really bad , just as bad as mazepin was. The big surprise is Williams not having a spare chassis. Amateur hour over at Williams.
    "Logan has been really bad" yet Williams have signed him and kept him on.

Anyway, I don't dispute that Alex is a better driver. If there was one car to start with and the team had to choose who to give it to, it would be a no-brainer. But if there are two cars, one for each driver, and one of the drivers destroys their car, it doesn't matter who's better than who, it's just absolutely savage to take the other driver's car and give it to the one who destroyed his.

Can we be cautious optimistic?

Anyway, I don't dispute that Alex is a better driver. If there was one car to start with and the team had to choose who to give it to, it would be a no-brainer. But if there are two cars, one for each driver, and one of the drivers destroys their car, it doesn't matter who's better than who, it's just absolutely savage to take the other driver's car and give it to the one who destroyed his.
    Sergeants place of birth got him a seat. He has then proceeded to display that he is the worst driver on the grid. He has looked out of his league his entire time at Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by stefa View Post
    Can we be cautious optimistic?
    yeah, "cautious" is the key word

Quote Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
    Sergeants place of birth got him a seat. He has then proceeded to display that he is the worst driver on the grid. He has looked out of his league his entire time at Williams.
    Sargeant may be the worst driver on the grid, he may be the worst driver in this century, but that doesn't matter. Williams is a backmarker team, so for them to score points, they have to beat one of the Red Bull or Ferrari or Mercedes or Mclaren or Aston Martin. Which is very unlikely.

Albon isn't some **** box whisperer or a great driver. He is extremely overrated, and he's not going to put that Williams where it doesn't belong. Williams is way behind the midfield this year, so I would've understood the decision of giving him Sargeant's car, if they were certain to score points come Sunday. But that's not the case, and giving the seat wouldn't change or achieve anything.

Ferrari was the fastest in FP2. They showed that they have the pace to give Red Bull a competition. Looking forward to tomorrow's qualifying.

Well, the same people who are pretending that they have zero problem with today's decision, would've been pulling their hair right now in rage if the team was Mercedes instead of Williams. Imagine, if Hamilton got Russell's car after crashing his own out of commission, the crying and moaning here would've been quite funny.

My view is clear, I wouldn't have agreed to Hamilton getting Russell's car, just like I'm not agreeing with today's decision. Penalizing Sargeant for Albon's crash is both unfair and unsporting.

I would love to see their data cause I haven't seen anything that would suggest that Ferrari were using higher engine mode than Red Bull.

I would love to see their data cause I haven't seen anything that would suggest that Ferrari were using higher engine mode than Red Bull.
    prolly just Helmet marko flapping his gums and talking nonsense as usual

i truly hope Ferrari will give to 'em this weekend to shut him up once in for all

You mean it's not unheard of for a driver to crash his car and then take his teammate's car? Wow, I find that shocking.
    No it really is not unheard of. It befalls under the premises of team orders and at the end of the day team will do what is best for the team.
    Logan is a BAD driver and Williams will give the one car to the driver they can hope that will do something good for them.

I am sure this makes better sense for you. At least I can hope it does.

Well, the same people who are pretending that they have zero problem with today's decision, would've been pulling their hair right now in rage if the team was Mercedes instead of Williams. Imagine, if Hamilton got Russell's car after crashing his own out of commission, the crying and moaning here would've been quite funny.

My view is clear, I wouldn't have agreed to Hamilton getting Russell's car, just like I'm not agreeing with today's decision. Penalizing Sargeant for Albon's crash is both unfair and unsporting.
    Not really, at least I would not. I will only say this once and I hope it sinks in to people.
    F1 is a team sport and the drivers get paid (handsomely too if I may add) by the teams.
    So at the end of the day who drives what, how etc is at the absolute discression of the teams.
    Which means that if Merc had chosen to give Lewis the car (even tho Lewis at this stage is a turtle) , that would be their right.

Quote Originally Posted by aroutis View Post
    No it really is not unheard of. It befalls under the premises of team orders and at the end of the day team will do what is best for the team.
    Logan is a BAD driver and Williams will give the one car to the driver they can hope that will do something good for them.

I am sure this makes better sense for you. At least I can hope it does.
    It doesn't.