Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2024 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Race Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    Ok, so couple of questions... Where was the pace? We pitted later to have fresher tyres but still McLaren and Redbull outpaced us on slightly older rubber. How? And before someone says "there are no miracles in F1 you can't magically become faster" I'll say look at McLaren. I watched the onboards and we really were struggling with the first chicane, others could take the inside kerb, while we were avoiding it, that's why we were losing time in S1 the whole weekend. How can we win, when while catching the fastest team another one evertakes us? It has happened when we were chasing Mercedes (Redbull passed us) and now while chasing Redbull McLaren is starting to be faster than us too. There was so much hype, that I am fumig in Roso Corsa color right now.
    Well it's just my assessment, but after seeing how the SF24 is performing, I'd say Ferrari still haven't able to extract everything from the tyres.
    Long straights always cool down the tyres, and since F1 tyres go through multiple heat cycles, I'd say the tyres of the SF24 get way too cold when the car reaches at the first corner. Which may explains Charles's struggle in Japan in the first corner and the last chicane, and both of those aforementioned corners are placed after long straights.

I don't think this is downforce/drag related. It's mostly down to how the front suspension working is the tyres, with the front wing playing a large part as well.

The SF24 was struggling to ride the kerbs in the first two chicanes today, yet it had no problem riding the kerbs of Varianta Alta, and was the best car through that section.

That's why I don't think either Monaco or Barcelona would be a struggle for us. Monaco doesn't have any meaningful long straights, and the first corner of Barcelona isn't anywhere near technical enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavallino View Post
    brazil 2022
    lando's mclaren at that point was much slower than the Ferrari, he had no business trying to battle

my memory is fine mate, look at my join date, and understand that i basically remember every lap of every race since 1998.

it's not based on 2 races

and it's not just my opinion, Jolyn Palmer basically said the same during this weekend's broadcast
    So one time lol

McLaren have never been in a place to race with Max apart from the last 2 races really, so again strange opinion to form based on 2 races.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Kyss4k View Post
    You know what's funny? I've vatched the historic GP in Monaco last week and holy crap. 70s and 80s small and nimble F1 cars driven by semi-pros and amateurs in the street of Monaco, pushing, crashing, marshals running on the track clearing debris... and everyone survived with no injuries. I'm not saying it would be smart to go back to this, but it just shows it can be done and current F1 pushed the safety little too far IMO.
    go watch Alesi in the historic 2 years ago, that was the most exciting racing i've watched in years.

Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalesm6 View Post
    For those saying Imola is a hard track to pass and Monaco is a "useless" track:

1) The tracks are not the problem, the cars are.
    Monaco and Imola have been tracks with very little overtaking for decades of F1 cars. They are not just hard tracks to pass on in F1 but also in other categories.
    Forza Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by tifosi1993 View Post
    Well it's just my assessment, but after seeing how the SF24 is performing, I'd say Ferrari still haven't able to extract everything from the tyres.
    Long straights always cool down the tyres, and since F1 tyres go through multiple heat cycles, I'd say the tyres of the SF24 get way too cold when the car reaches at the first corner. Which may explains Charles's struggle in Japan in the first corner and the last chicane, and both of those aforementioned corners are placed after long straights.

I don't think this is downforce/drag related. It's mostly down to how the front suspension working is the tyres, with the front wing playing a large part as well.

The SF24 was struggling to ride the kerbs in the first two chicanes today, yet it had no problem riding the kerbs of Varianta Alta, and was the best car through that section.

That's why I don't think either Monaco or Barcelona would be a struggle for us. Monaco doesn't have any meaningful long straights, and the first corner of Barcelona isn't anywhere near technical enough.
    Between the 3, RB, Mclaren, and Ferrari, Ferrari was the slowest and this is w/o DRS. Ferrari posted a top speed of 316kph.

I'll post some analysis here so everyone can see.

Still some work to do in the Ferrari's but definitely headed in the right direction. We just need some tweaks here and there and it will basically be up to the drivers and tire strat.
    It's not how start but how you finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    So one time lol
    1 time more than you remembered.

don't challenge my statements, i can back them up, don't worry

2020 hungary he raced harder than he should have too.

and in China he let Max by to save tyres to finish ahead of Ferraris. That's not open for debate.

and again, this isn't based on 2 races, this is based on Mclaren know Ferrari is their target, save the tyres to fight with Ferrari, don't challenge Max

1 time more than you remembered.

don't challenge my statements, i can back them up, don't worry

2020 hungary he raced harder than he should have too.

and in China he let Max by to save tyres to finish ahead of Ferraris. That's not open for debate.

and again, this isn't based on 2 races, this is based on Mclaren know Ferrari is their target, save the tyres to fight with Ferrari, don't challenge Max
    Strange opinions, he raced us too hard once or twice haha He has never had any chance to race Max other than the last 2 races, he won 1 of them.

Many many drivers don't defend from the fastest car, just like they did with Lewis, Seb, Schumacher etc etc they are not racing them.
    Forza Ferrari

Monaco and Imola have been tracks with very little overtaking for decades of F1 cars. They are not just hard tracks to pass on in F1 but also in other categories.
    And yet you would think with the introduction of DRS(2009?), overtakes as a general in most tracks have improved. I'm sure if you were to compare overtaking at Imola before DRS and after DRS, you would see an up-tick in overtakes at Imola with DRS.

I think going forward, both Ferrari's are going to have to out qualify both Mclarens. Lucky, Piastri got a 3 place grid drop or the outcome with Leclerc might have been different. Ferrari needs to be on top of their tire strats.

If Oscar did not receive penalty then Charles would have not been on the podium collecting 3rd place.

So here's the data analysis of this race. Feel free to mull it over. Like I said, a couple of tweaks here and there and both Ferrari's will be contenders.

https://twitter.com/FDataAnalysis/st...50113907138896

https://twitter.com/FDataAnalysis/st...27456394346882

https://twitter.com/FDataAnalysis/st...11827981435010

Strange opinions, he raced us too hard once or twice haha He has never had any chance to race Max other than the last 2 races, he won 1 of them.

Many many drivers don't defend from the fastest car, just like they did with Lewis, Seb, Schumacher etc etc they are not racing them.
    Norris was on pole in China. Lets Max by.

and he and yes, that's my point i'm making, i lose a bit of respect that's all. Atleast George put Max in the wall in Baku 2023. George has his own issues though.

I think going forward, both Ferrari's are going to have to out qualify both Mclarens. Lucky, Piastri got a 3 place grid drop or the outcome with Leclerc might have been different. Ferrari needs to be on top of their tire strats.
    for once i agree with you, i said earlier a lot of this is qualifying pace. And there may be a trick that Red Bull and Mclaren are using. We have 3 weeks to figure it out since it shouldn't matter in Monaco ( the trick ).

So here's the data analysis of this race. Feel free to mull it over. Like I said, a couple of tweaks here and there and both Ferrari's will be contenders.

Yeap!

For all people saying that our upgrades never work, up until imola we were on average 0.45 s off to the absolute pace. we were just 0.1s today. If someone told me before that this update would bring 3.5 tenths improvement I would take it any day. Obviously it needs to be confirmed by other tracks also but they are on the right path

PS that Lec comment got me wondering..

Leclerc didn't just go faster than Norris after pit stop, he was quicker than Max too.

Do we think he just stopped pushing when he realized it was futile?

Leclerc didn't just go faster than Norris after pit stop, he was quicker than Max too.

Leclerc realized he pushed too much. Vasseur said Leclerc realized that his tires weren't going to last so Leclerc backed off.

Leclerc realized he pushed too much. Vasseur said Leclerc realized that his tires weren't going to last so Leclerc backed off.
    that's not good.

we can't have issues with warm up AND longevity.

fixing one normally compromises the other

hopefull it's something from the new parts that can be dialed out

Things sometimes can be misleading .
    I was disappointed with the final part of the race where Lec with fresher tires then Norris failed to keep pace with him .
    But then I realized that Piastri, who was as fast as Norris all weekend (if not even faster) had the same fate as Lec. So it might be just a case that when you try to push you cook the tires and run out of their sweet zone . Norris was able to manage his tires and just start to push when Lec caught him. That's why he had so more pace then the others. The only one who can worry is Max and RedBull because he was the only one that had the same race with Norris( a lonely race without pushing to much and could control his pace/ tires ,and still Norris was much faster .

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    Things sometimes can be misleading .
    I was disappointed with the final part of the race where Lec with fresher tires then Norris failed to keep pace with him .
    But then I realized that Piastri, who was as fast as Norris all weekend (if not even faster) had the same fate as Lec. So it might be just a case that when you try to push you cook the tires and run out of their sweet zone . Norris was able to manage his tires and just start to push when Lec caught him. That's why he had so more pace then the others. The only one who can worry is Max and RedBull because he was the only one that had the same race with Norris( a lonely race without pushing to much and could control his pace/ tires ,and still Norris was much faster .
    we have to qualify better

and improve the aerodynamic efficiency so we're quicker down the straights and don't get overtaken when if and when we do get in front

the tyre life can also be something due to needing to tune this update just a bit

[AMuS]

Pierre Waché explains why the hard tyres were not working in the last stint:

"It was down to the set-up, not tyre wear. We fell outside the working window with the tyres, Friday's set-up was a compromise."

Norris closing the gap to Verstappen.

https://twitter.com/F1/status/179256...755157/photo/1

Charles could have finished ahead of Norris if they pitted Charles when Norris was stuck behind Perez for a lap

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
    Charles could have finished ahead of Norris if they pitted Charles when Norris was stuck behind Perez for a lap
    Red Bull was also playing tactics, Sergio waved Piastri by, we'd still have to get around Perez too

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseman View Post
    He could finished ahead of Norris too if that pitstop was a nice 2.2 or 2.3s instead of 2.7s
    Look like a dream team is coming