Thread: Ferrari F2012 Development News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by anialonso View Post
    Well said..nobody thought that Ferrari would improve by that much but they did..
    Again everybody thinks Ferrari have no answer to the development of RedBull but this time also Ferrari will prove them wrong.
    Certainly hope what you've said comes true! all will be revealed in the FP and quali sessions i guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso84 View Post
    Well it seems to be a tradition as well.
    Second year in a row, and still they can't fix this problem. That's really sad.
    Send parts as Diplomatic gear and bypass them altogether!!! Luca must have some political contacts and this is a national emergency!! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX132 View Post
    Send parts as Diplomatic gear and bypass them altogether!!! Luca must have some political contacts and this is a national emergency!! ;)
    Well i'm sure they'll get the updates to india without any problems...the head of the ruling indian party is Italian(sonia Gandhi) afterall!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX132 View Post
    Guys chill. If they even try to stop Ferrari, we will get good old Sachin (loyal customer btw) to come up and let us through.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    Guys chill. If they even try to stop Ferrari, we will get good old Sachin (loyal customer btw) to come up and let us through.
    ... that might actually happen

Quote Originally Posted by scuderiafan View Post
    loyal customer??? ... ya right!!! Guy "sold" the ferrari he got as a gift from Ferrari/fiat. To do what?... go and buy a freaking Nissan. Gosh.
    Silently, like a shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    loyal customer??? ... ya right!!! Guy "sold" the ferrari he got as a gift from Ferrari/fiat. To do what?... go and buy a freaking Nissan. Gosh.
    Really? Did not know that, tbh I got this knowledge from the film about it.

Being serious, I don't think any big team, especially Ferrari will have many issues with customs.

In Stefano Domenicali, we have a team boss who has proved to be a leader. - Luca diMontezemelo

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Sorry, I think this thread is about how many tenths Ferrari should gain to fight for front row, and whether or not we can gain that many tenths. All luck/bad luck debates are pretty irrelevant.
    I agree with you that luck is not a factor - we could very easily turn this thread into a highly philosophical one if we spent time talking about luck....

Perhaps the issue of how many DNFs each one suffered, and the reasons behind them, is slightly more relevant to the topic, because the number of tenths we need is commensurate with the gap that we need to recover, the question here being how strong is that Red Bull in reality.

Oh come on, I hope we won't lose the championship and blame the Indian customs for it.......

Massa admits to Ferrari’s car development problems

By Editor on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ferrari have admitted they are concerned crucial upgrades to the F2012 car will not work as expected.

Team boss Stefano Domenicali has said the Italian squad needs to find at least 2 tenths of a second to boost Fernando Alonso’s chances of competing for the title against Red Bull’s on-form new championship leader Sebastian Vettel.

With tester Davide Rigon at the wheel, Ferrari – with its 2012 car featuring a number of upgrades – reportedly ran a “secret” straightline aerodynamic test at the Idiada facility in Spain last Thursday.

Alonso’s teammate Felipe Massa admitted the team has had problems this year with the correlation of the data produced by its Maranello wind tunnel, which will be closed for a time during the winter for repairs.

“We are working on a lot of things in the development of the car,” the Brazilian is quoted by Totalrace.

“(But) we have had some problems with parts we have brought to the last few races not working when we go onto the track.”

Totalrace said Ferrari is already working and checking data in Toyota’s state of the art Cologne wind tunnel.

Domenicali, however, said he does not want the news to be interpreted as an “excuse” for Ferrari’s recent development problems.

“That’s part of the development process we are doing to improve the team, but I don’t want to hear that it’s an excuse for this championship.

“We need to keep pushing to make sure Fernando has the best car for the end of the season,” he added.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormsearcher View Post
    ok what? who in their right mind.. never mind.
    I think all our updates are gonna be there without any issues anyway and hopefully they'll put us on par with RBR :) Forza ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by gjoko-mkd View Post
    I think that when one unit is replaced with another one,the first unit can not be drive except in the fridays free trenings.until the and of the season,the 8th unit of Mclaren can be used in every race.in fridays probes they can use every unit driven in the past races.

I think I am no wrong

PC.I am sorry for my bad English
    Maybe I'm wrong but as fas as I know this occurs just for engines that were changed during one grand prix (for example team must change engine after quali and put a new one for a race). Exchanged engines can be used then only in Brasil but nowhere before...For normally used engines there is no such rule, they are to be freely used again...So basically you are right but "replaced" you should read as "during the grand prix weekend exchanged engine due failure or damage"...

More spanish guys involved around Formula 1 claim that Massa had better pace cos of major new parts that were fitted just in his car...Truth or just wishful thinking who knows...

In 2010 ,last 6 races Alonso drove with one same unit.That was the reason that he wasnt in a position to pass Petrov.In every race the engine lost about 5 HP,then 6 races * 5 Hp=30 Hp less then fresh unit.

The same story is for McLaren for the rest of the season,and the RBs 7th unit have one race more behind them.In the last race we will have at last 10 hp more then RBs units,and 30 Hp then McLaren.

There are at last two tenths for us.This is what I want to say about story of `need to find two tenths`

Translated One::

To prepare the Indian Grand Prix, where several new should be introduced on the F2012, Ferrari has quietly conducted last Thursday, aerodynamic tests in a straight line on the circuit Idiada, Spain, with its test driver, the young Davide Rigon (above).

We know the latest changes made to the car red made hardly expected gains, preventing Fernando Alonso to fight with Sebastian Vettel in Korea: "We made some news on the car, recognized Nikolas Tombazis, aerodynamicist in Head of the Scuderia, in a video posted on the official website of the team. We hoped that we could reduce the gap, but it does not happen for several reasons. We had to think deeply about what did not work and we tried to fix it. I am not satisfied with the last few months, but overall, it gets better. I hope that during the next four races, we are again pleased with our work. "

Embroiled in problems of correlation wind tunnel (the data that are recorded do not correspond to reality), Ferrari decided to play the card of caution and validate its next developments in real conditions. "When some parts seem to provide an advantage in the wind tunnel but it does not end up on the track, you have to be very careful, confirms Tombazis (right below). We therefore conducted a test to evaluate the aerodynamic components and refine them. This test was conducted before the Indian Grand Prix, and has allowed us to find some interesting answers, as well as clear guidance and what was not. "

As permitted by sporting regulations (which allows teams to organize four days of testing in a straight line during the season), Ferrari rolled to Idiada Rigon (70 km from Barcelona) to evaluate new parts to be installed in India.

According to the Italian magazine Autosprint, the F2012 would land on the Buddh circuit with a new rear spoiler, brake scoops changed, new blades under the muzzle, pontoons and outputs redesigned exhaust. These innovations have been validated in the wind tunnel in Cologne Toyota (hired by Ferrari until the tunnel is recalibrated and updated) and then submitted to the verdict of the track in Spain.

Developments eagerly awaited by Alonso and that will be needed to meet the new battery appeared on the RB8 from the Singapore Grand Prix. During the last three races, Sebastian Vettel scored 45 points more than Spanish.
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Quote Originally Posted by Fernie View Post
    Massa admits to Ferrari’s car development problems

By Editor on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ferrari have admitted they are concerned crucial upgrades to the F2012 car will not work as expected.

Team boss Stefano Domenicali has said the Italian squad needs to find at least 2 tenths of a second to boost Fernando Alonso’s chances of competing for the title against Red Bull’s on-form new championship leader Sebastian Vettel.

With tester Davide Rigon at the wheel, Ferrari – with its 2012 car featuring a number of upgrades – reportedly ran a “secret” straightline aerodynamic test at the Idiada facility in Spain last Thursday.

Alonso’s teammate Felipe Massa admitted the team has had problems this year with the correlation of the data produced by its Maranello wind tunnel, which will be closed for a time during the winter for repairs.

“We are working on a lot of things in the development of the car,” the Brazilian is quoted by Totalrace.

“(But) we have had some problems with parts we have brought to the last few races not working when we go onto the track.”

Totalrace said Ferrari is already working and checking data in Toyota’s state of the art Cologne wind tunnel.

Domenicali, however, said he does not want the news to be interpreted as an “excuse” for Ferrari’s recent development problems.

“That’s part of the development process we are doing to improve the team, but I don’t want to hear that it’s an excuse for this championship.

“We need to keep pushing to make sure Fernando has the best car for the end of the season,” he added.
    The Ferrari team is well aware of this issue and that's why they are using the Toyota's windtunnel..
    I Will End My Career At Ferrari...

Thats true, engines loose power and I just hope that we will be so near speed-wise to RBs that those 10s HPs get us in front of them :)

Guys, I just landed in New Delhi and guess what.......it's raining!!!!

But the forecast for practice is dry....hope we get a good test of our upgrades......

I am glad they could mount the upgrades before shipping the car to India.

That has cheered me up a lot
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

f1talks.pl ‏@f1talks
    According to latest Autosprint issue we can expect small changes in Ferrari car in many areas. #F1

Quote Originally Posted by medeni73 View Post
    People dont get your hopes high cos of engine usage. Its common thing in season for one team to use their used engines (from previous races), its part of strategy...when you look here: http://www.vivaf1.com/reliability.php
    you will see that Maccas can/will use engines 1, 4 or 6 again cos they had just 1 race with them...lack of engines and their mileage wont decide this seasons championship...
    I have been studying the chart (MY HEAD HURTS) but the good news I see in it is :-

We still have 3 engines in really good shape for the last 4 GP's

Engine 8 unused McLaren have new unused engines. Red bull like wise no8 is unused.

Engine 5 Alonso's only got as far as the 1st corner so no milage on it, as was Hamilyon's engine no 6

Engine 7 used once But McLaren and Redbull Have No4 used once only so on a par there.

So I am hoping we have that bit extra HP going into the final 4 races :)
    Its all in the name - FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by anuragiyer8989 View Post
    Guys, I just landed in New Delhi and guess what.......it's raining!!!!

But the forecast for practice is dry....hope we get a good test of our upgrades......
    Nooo! It caNNOT rain on friday !! let's hope it will be a dry friday. We need to have good test runs..!

Ferrari with small changes in India, Red Bull also has something up his sleeve (sorry if posted already)

Published by mrbigstuff October 23, 2012 |

The latest edition of the magazine Autosprint brought further information on the amendments of the car, the Ferrari team is preparing for the next race. As I suggested earlier revolution will not. Italian engineers used the wind tunnel in Cologne and tests Idiada straight on the track to get to work items that have been made during the season and did not confirm its effectiveness. We expect small changes in all areas, and the most you will see new brake cooling vents. Until now, engineers at Maranello did not recognize the potential of aerodynamic, which lies dormant in them.

Other changes are really cosmetic. Problem in Maranello wind tunnel meant that all the elements introduced during the European season, which improve the performance of the car had been subject to some error. The changes that we see in India will really millimeter amended many elements that have already had the opportunity to ride the rails. Such small changes are contrary to appearances, bring tangible benefits. Please note that all the body parts task is to form channels through which appropriately will be "traveling" air stream. Even small differences in the design may completely destroy the operation of the system, on the other hand, minor changes can make the machine snaps and will act in accordance with the assumptions of designers.

Although it would seem that Red Bull already this season has taken its toll, it's very reliable sources suggest that the team from Milton Keynes has another package of amendments. New elements to be implementation until the last race of the season. Amendments to say the least to be significant, and if the information about their performance proves to be true, it's Sebastian Vettel should not only maintain, but also a much larger lead over Fernando Alonso. For more information on this subject should read on to bring tomorrow's Auto Motor und Sport.

Edit : Redbull's upgrades need to be a fail. And ours need to be a massive success. Their car is already so good.

It seems we have to downgrade our expectations a little bit but who knows,maybe we will be on top starting on saturday allready!!
    FERRARI FOR EVER !!!!!!!

Autosprint

Last week it was exhausts wings the whole 10 years, now it's small changes?

Quote Originally Posted by PURE PASSION View Post
    It seems we have to downgrade our expectations a little bit but who knows,maybe we will be on top starting on saturday allready!!
    so much for introducing a BIG package this weekend; somehow i kind of had a feeling that it wouldnt' be enough time to introduce a big package, but who knows, maybe all these LITTLE SMALL things all around the car can give us the amount of speed we need to take the fight to red fools...and maybe their updates won't work as they should...

of course this is all speculation and Autosprint hasn't been the most reliable news source in the past so we'll have to take all this with a GRAIN of salt.

we'll find the true definitive answer come friday practice, WON'T WE????? or better yet, Q3 on saturday...

can hardly wait...
    So 2023 started off bad, but managed to claw back some lap time come end of the year. Lets hope SF24 will give us tifosi something to smile about.

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    I agree with you that luck is not a factor - we could very easily turn this thread into a highly philosophical one if we spent time talking about luck....

Perhaps the issue of how many DNFs each one suffered, and the reasons behind them, is slightly more relevant to the topic, because the number of tenths we need is commensurate with the gap that we need to recover, the question here being how strong is that Red Bull in reality.
    I still think it's not relevant. Assuming Alonso did not have DNF in Japan, the only consequence is that the gap might be different, but not the car performance, because as of now, RB is clearly better, whether it's one lap or race pace. And that's the only thing relevant in the next four races. We can't count on DNF anymore, because it might be on our side or the other, we can't count on point gap anymore, because it's not in our favour. So unless Ferrari can find the 3 tenths gap, it will be very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by LightAmaterasu View Post
    Actually from the administration's point of view, it's not a "problem" at all, it's just the way the rules are. It's not 'tradition' either. Embarrassing for the fans in india, but it will take a while for F1 to be given any special importance. Cricket is the only sport favored and recognized by higher authorities, unfortunately. And since cricket doesn't involve any last minute arrival of any updates, i'm sure F1 is looked at (by the govt. ) with quite some incomprehension.
    Just to be clear my friend, my comment and the little joke about the delays in Indian customs being a "tradition", wasn't in any way intended to insult nor offend any Indians.
    And I hope you didn't take it that way.
    It's just that the customs' policy and the efficiency of running things there, could be a little smoother. I'm sure you agree with me on that?

"Massa admits to Ferrari's car development problems."
    So are Massa's confessions meant as "the new updates in India won't work" or is he just talking about the failed updates of the past? I really hope it's the latter