PDA

View Full Version : Is the BBC gonna dump Jonathan Legard?

NJB13
14th September 2010, 13:25
Just saw this article (http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=42028) on spit puss.com.

durden
14th September 2010, 13:27
I hope. I can't stand the bbc coverage because of him. In fact I stopped watching the BBC coverage, Speed only for m now.

Hermann
14th September 2010, 13:38
I said the same about Heiko Wasser on RTL for years but he is still there. And i want to strangle him everytime i turn on the TV on race sundays.

Maybe BBC is going to listen to their spectators, RTL certainly don't.

Ferrari_Fanatic
14th September 2010, 15:45
Finally ill be able to take my tv off mute! lol

996 GT1 Lover
14th September 2010, 16:03
I hope. I can't stand the bbc coverage because of him. In fact I stopped watching the BBC coverage, Speed only for m now.

I wish I could get Speed. I'm a poor college student and don't get cable. :-s I set up a proxy in Firefox and watch races on the BBC iPlayer instead.

Raz
14th September 2010, 16:12
Planet-f1.com also reporting the same!!!
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6376617/-BBC-Considering-Axing-Legard-

JAMES ALLEN - ALL IS FORGIVEN!!!

Ferrari Man
14th September 2010, 16:14
Ye the sooner he goes the better.. Brundle is an excellant commentator.. He has all the knowledge of F1 and knows exactly what he s talking about.. The commentator that the BBC have on the red button for the Practice sessions is very good.. Not sure of his name but he d be worth a shot at replacing Legard..

Raz
14th September 2010, 16:14
Ye the sooner he goes the better.. Brundle is an excellant commentator.. He has all the knowledge of F1 and knows exactly what he s talking about.. The commentator that the BBC have on the red button for the Practice sessions is very good.. Not sure of his name but he d be worth a shot at replacing Legard..

David Croft? he's Five Live radio commentator.. or Ant Davison?

Ferrari Man
14th September 2010, 16:20
Ye dats the man David Croft.. Davidson was an F1 driver a few years back.. There s more excitment in his commentary..

Tech_Skill
14th September 2010, 16:33
The thing people have gotta remember is, Legard is there for people that arent hardcore F1 watchers and who like the no frills Britannia rules commentary. Otherwise you'd be looking a commentary team like Karun Chandook and Martin Brundle which I suspect the full time f1 watchers would love, but the casual watchers might not and they would struggle to understand what is going on.

Ste
14th September 2010, 16:47
I'm completely in favour of this. He is truly awful and actually spoils the coverage for me.

Last weekend was the final straw, what with him constantly saying "Tifozi", "Alonzo" and "Fort-sa". So frustrating.

I complained about James Allen before. He was a decent commentator - his only downside was his clear Hamilton bias.

Replacing Legard with Charlie Cox doesn't really fix the issue in my opinion. He's a 'nightmare in a bubble car' as he would say. I very much doubt he knows a lot about F1, having spent his entire commentary career covering BTCC and MotoGP. It would be like putting Jennie Gow on the MotoGP grid. Oh...wait.

I think they should probably promote David Croft from Five Live. His commentary is usually pretty good and I've not found him to be annoying in the slightest. The comparison video between his commentary and Legard's during Turkey Qualifying was a World apart.

Fingers crossed Legard goes. :-)

Greig
14th September 2010, 17:07
Fortsa is pretty much right :-)

Suzie
14th September 2010, 17:18
I completely tune out Legard's voice now when I'm watching F1, he gets on my nerves with his shouting and constant mentions of Webber. He has to go. Just as long as he isn't replaced by James Allen! I would be happy to have Crofty take the job. Mind you, I don't like Brundle either... can't they get rid of both? ;-)

racingbradley
14th September 2010, 17:27
I thought Ant was very good but maybe too technical for the casual viewer also Karun Chandook but I hope he has a full time drive next year.:-)

Rob
14th September 2010, 18:12
I thought Ant was very good but maybe too technical for the casual viewer also Karun Chandook but I hope he has a full time drive next year.:-)

yeah they both very very good, have always said that about them, love the commentry on 5live. Charlie Cox is even worse, no way could he be any bit of an improvement. Im all for Crofty getting promoted 100%, i never ever listen to the BBC commentry, always hit red button and have Crofty and Ant. And recently Karun.

ali355
14th September 2010, 18:17
My initial thoughts were it would be awesome if Crofty got the gig, but his matey banter may not gel well with Brundle's authoratative tones. James Allen would be a step back, but still an improvement on "battle-joined" Legard!

mandzipop
14th September 2010, 19:19
I think that Crofty should be the way to go. But it is how Brundle would gel with him. James Allen would be ok if it wasn't for his Hamilton bias, however I think that it was ITV that caused that issue. If you read his blogs, there is certainly no bias towards Hamilton.

Lets hope that Martin putting his foot down works.

epiclyaddicted
14th September 2010, 19:40
I certainly hope this is true! Would love to see Crofty get promoted from 5live to BBC TV. While occasionally he might display a little bit of Macca bias, but overall, he's a hundred times better than Legard. And he is a genuine F1 fan, who has genuine excitement and passion in his voice when commentating, and doesn't use the same tired old phrases over and over again.

muzzyveli123
14th September 2010, 20:14
Hmm Crofty would be good.. We complained about James Allen but he is actually a Ferrari Fan that also liked Hamilton a lot because his British.

mandzipop
14th September 2010, 20:35
I certainly hope this is true! Would love to see Crofty get promoted from 5live to BBC TV. While occasionally he might display a little bit of Macca bias, but overall, he's a hundred times better than Legard. And he is a genuine F1 fan, who has genuine excitement and passion in his voice when commentating, and doesn't use the same tired old phrases over and over again.

Apparently Crofty and Martin dont get on, so that could be a sticking point.

onestone
15th September 2010, 02:00
Sack Legard and bring back Murray Walker..;-)

At least when Walker stuffs up, we can get a laugh out of it, instead of just being annoyed by Legard.:lol

Hamish
15th September 2010, 07:47
I agree on Karun Chandook, he is an excellent commentator, in my opinion by far the best. As you say though - hope he gets a descent drive as he seems a very competent driver, and a likeable fellow.

Fiondella
15th September 2010, 08:37
I think Martin Brundle and David 7 Shades are worthy and head and shoulders above the rest

Ant Raikkonen
15th September 2010, 09:35
Apparently Crofty and Martin dont get on, so that could be a sticking point.

Yeah, i heard that too when it was being debated about who was going to partner Brundle on BBC TV.
I wouldn't say i particularly like Legard but i don't like Crofty's matey, cheezy style.

I put Ste's name forward as Legard's replacement.

Tifosi
15th September 2010, 09:38
Yeah, i heard that too when it was being debated about who was going to partner Brundle on BBC TV.

I put Ste's name forward as Legard's replacement.

not old enough ;-)

Ant Raikkonen
15th September 2010, 10:05
not old enough ;-)

Experienced enough?

Massimo181
15th September 2010, 10:55
I think that also David Coulthard should go as he is so bitter when reporting on Ferrari he is old and useless nothing decent too report on at all!!!

shostak
15th September 2010, 11:04
Here in Spain we have Marc Gené, and earlier we had De la Rosa. Both them are very good as commentator.

mandzipop
15th September 2010, 14:29
Here in Spain we have Marc Gené, and earlier we had De la Rosa. Both them are very good as commentator.

We've already got the pundit in Brundle. I'm ((jokingly) going to suggest Rowan Atkinson. He knows his stuff and he would be really funny. Blackadder 5, the commentator. Now that would be a cunning plan.

Tifosi
15th September 2010, 15:24
We've already got the pundit in Brundle. I'm ((jokingly) going to suggest Rowan Atkinson. He knows his stuff and he would be really funny. Blackadder 5, the commentator. Now that would be a cunning plan.

Could bring back Mark Blundell as Baldrick :-)

mandzipop
15th September 2010, 15:31
Could bring back Mark Blundell as Baldrick :-)

Nah, thats EJ.

Ste
15th September 2010, 15:50
I wouldn't say i particularly like Legard but i don't like Crofty's matey, cheezy style.

I put Ste's name forward as Legard's replacement.I would be well up for that. :-)

Tifosi
15th September 2010, 15:51
Nah, thats EJ.

I can imagine him dressed as Mrs. Miggins

DonXabi
16th September 2010, 07:08
Well The Stig needs a new job, he would be execellent!! Oh.......wait............maybe there's a flaw in that plan - let me think it through a bit more................

Tifosi
16th September 2010, 07:20
To use the vernacular of Legard himself:

"some people are saying that he's going to be replaced by a plastic traffic cone because it has more personality and doesn't interrupt Martin Brundle all the time. However, some other people are saying that his 'read it off a sheet' style of commentating has now become so annoying even to casual viewers that they'd rather have Ted Kravitz - and he's rubbish. Martin..... what do you think?"

Deedee
20th September 2010, 14:02
Martin Brundle is just fantastic. He has an almost psychic sense of what is happening. I hope he stays with the BBC.

Legard is irritating. Why does he think every viewer in the UK wants Hamilton to win?

Ant Raikkonen
20th September 2010, 14:54
I think Brian Blessed and Alan Bennett would make a good replacement commentary team.

Tifosi
20th September 2010, 16:34
I like it. Even Brian Blessed couldn't interrupt Martin Brundle as much as Legard does.

Rob
20th September 2010, 18:30
I like it. Even Brian Blessed couldn't interrupt Martin Brundle as much as Legard does.

:rotfl

NJB13
21st September 2010, 08:34
Wasn't Legard the guy who saved Tony Stark in the Ironman movie as well the butler for Adams Family?

Ant Raikkonen
21st September 2010, 10:28
Have Jethro as pitlane reporter, or perhaps Frankie Boyle?