Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 peers split over Vettel versus Alonso question

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I have to mention, watching Brasil..where Nando was going to readily give the podium to Felipe if the chance arose, which to me is a HUGE gesture, but yet Vettel DID have the opp to do that for Mark, who'se last race in F1 was Brasil, and he didnt even think about it.
    Says a lot about a man.
    +1............ He will not give Mark his own race [Multi 21],........never mind a gift at Interlagos the last Aussie's F1 race !!

WITH DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP ALREADY WON!!!!!!!!!!

Giving up 3rd is probably a bit easier than giving up the win, and I imagine Webber would rather he had no favour from Seb anyway.
    Forza Ferrari

File

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Giving up 3rd is probably a bit easier than giving up the win, and I imagine Webber would rather he had no favour from Seb anyway.
    vettel owed webber the win from the whole multi 21 situation. webbers last race in formula 1 would of been great with the win and he would of took it. would of worked wanders for vettels likeability too

I think that you do have a point, Greig. Not because giving third is easier (it probably is, btw), but because the meaning and emotional impact of having Massa in the podium in Brazil was far higher than that of having Webber on the top spot rather than on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiga View Post
    I think that you do have a point, Greig. Not because giving third is easier (it probably is, btw), but because the meaning and emotional impact of having Massa in the podium in Brazil was far higher than that of having Webber on the top spot rather than on the second one.
    +1

All I would say is that out of 39 wins for Vettel, None have been from while starting from below P3!, not even ONCE!!!!!
    God please help Fernando Alonso win his long-overdue title with Ferrari IA. And may FERRARI Dominate F1 Again..FORZA

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ansib View Post
    All I would say is that out of 39 wins for Vettel, None have been from while starting from below P3!, not even ONCE!!!!!
    Excellent point! Compare any of his first place finishes to Fernando's race to first in Valencia last season!

Disappointed Since 2010

I always had the impression that the aeriodynamic balance of the RB car- especially with vettel- was very vulnerable to following another car. Webber was better in dealing with that, but even he run into trouble at times.

That car was built to take pole and drive into the distance after the start, getting into the middle of a group of cars was not included in the construction.

Say what you want, but had Ferrari been able to build such a car, we would all have been screaming FORZA FERRARI on top of our lungs.

Giving up 3rd is probably a bit easier than giving up the win,
    Vettel wouldn't have done this also ...

and I imagine Webber would rather he had no favour from Seb anyway.
    exactly

And I mean: the gesture of Webber going to Alonso first and have chat instead with Horner/Vettel ... says much
    "If I was driving for Red Bull [from 2008] probably I would have more championships, but because they were dominating between 2010 and 2014 probably I would never have driven for Ferrari. I am very happy and very proud to drive for Ferrari, all my time there.

That's because he made very few mistakes in qualifying and was able to start from the front row on most occasions.

He certainly had very good cars, with some illegal gadgets on perhaps, but none of those cars drove themselves to pole position.

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    That's because he made very few mistakes in qualifying and was able to start from the front row on most occasions.

He certainly had very good cars, with some illegal gadgets on perhaps, but none of those cars drove themselves to pole position.
    And its also much easier not to make any mistakes in qualifying when you have a really good strategy team in the back, first, and the car is very easy to drive and is planted on the track, second.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann View Post
    And its also much easier not to make any mistakes in qualifying when you have a really good strategy team in the back, first, and the car is very easy to drive and is planted on the track, second.
    Assuming that the complexity of driving a Formula One car is comparable to a simulator game on the computer (which is not a sarcastic remark, because I positively have no clue as to how easy or difficult it is to handle a Formula One car in practice), I agree with you.

What I'm trying to say is that we often take these guys' driving for granted, I'm sure you've been to a few Grand Prix and know how fast those cars are. Completing one lap at that speed is remarkable, let alone winning all those races and a few championships.

Quote Originally Posted by F2002 View Post
    Assuming that the complexity of driving a Formula One car is comparable to a simulator game on the computer (which is not a sarcastic remark, because I positively have no clue as to how easy or difficult it is to handle a Formula One car in practice), I agree with you.

What I'm trying to say is that we often take these guys' driving for granted, I'm sure you've been to a few Grand Prix and know how fast those cars are. Completing one lap at that speed is remarkable, let alone winning all those races and a few championships.
    The car is remarkable. I wish Ferrari was able to produce such a car.
    But while we are at it, watch Fernando's pole lap in Monaco 2007 in the McLaren.

The rocket Red Bull wasn't designed to be in traffic sounds right for sure. If you remember neither was Vettel.
    [SIGPIC]

He's not a peer of any current drivers but, when in doubt, I always turn to Gary Anderson for a seemingly unbiased and intelligent opinion .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24988824

Sorry, just noticed this was written on 18th November, but it's still an opinion that fits current thinking.
    Last edited by Alessandra; 28th November 2013 at 19:55.

Just wondering, have we seen vettel win in an inferior car? we all know that Schumacher & Alonso have. Maybe your thinking of Monza
    driving a Torro Rosso but just one thing about that was a one off. Alonso does it on a regular basis!

Quote Originally Posted by grinchy View Post
    Just wondering, have we seen vettel win in an inferior car? we all know that Schumacher & Alonso have. Maybe your thinking of Monza
    driving a Torro Rosso but just one thing about that was a one off. Alonso does it on a regular basis!
    Nobody wins in an inferior car. The days you win the car is good enough to win.
    You can run like the wind, but you'll never outrun the Prancing Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Alonsomaniac View Post
    Nobody wins in an inferior car. The days you win the car is good enough to win.
    of course you can win in an inferior car. the car being good enough to win does not mean it was not inferior.

Alonso's doughnuts appear to be much better as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIgI0ktiLY

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso14 View Post

true
    not gonna change my profile picture

Classic

Every time i see Fernando in a cart he seems to have so much fun. And its one of the reasons why i like him, the fun he has when driving something that is 'close to the track'. Driving with his butt.
    Its also one of the reasons why he likes a car he can 'throw' into the curve. With the 2005/2006 Renault he had such a special driving style, you could recognize him from the far. I miss those times *sigh*

With the 2005/2006 Renault he had such a special driving style, you could recognize him from the far. I miss those times *sigh*
    +1

I know exactly what you mean and, alas, we haven't seen that attack in a Ferrari.

Finger crossed, we might see that next year in a Ferrari!

It's down to car control.

Quote Originally Posted by ManFromMilan View Post
    Finger crossed, we might see that next year in a Ferrari!
    no, this would be coping, i hope Fernando finds himself unique and awsome way to celebrate
    not gonna change my profile picture

I always had the impression that the aeriodynamic balance of the RB car- especially with vettel- was very vulnerable to following another car. Webber was better in dealing with that, but even he run into trouble at times.

That car was built to take pole and drive into the distance after the start, getting into the middle of a group of cars was not included in the construction.

Say what you want, but had Ferrari been able to build such a car, we would all have been screaming FORZA FERRARI on top of our lungs.
    I Pray that ferrari make that much downforce asap..yeah I agree with you, RBR's design philosophy to lead from the front but vettel still hasn't learnt to overtake cars neatly ..One most recent example is Hunagry 2013 and Adrain Newey after winning the WCC said that Hungary was the race which got away from them cuz they had installed the current max downforce aero upgrade(coupled with 2012 spec tyres) and still they couldnt win cuz of "issues with traffic" ie vettel's inability to Overtake Jenson and a few others !
    God please help Fernando Alonso win his long-overdue title with Ferrari IA. And may FERRARI Dominate F1 Again..FORZA

Source "Hamilton won in Hungary, but both he and Newey believe that was only because Vettel got stuck behind slower cars - including Jenson Button's McLaren.Since then, Vettel has won six consecutive races and the Germansealed his fourth championship in a rowwith victory in India on Sunday.Newey said that Red Bull's domination during the second half of the season was also down to them improving their car - extra performance they were able to exploit because of the greater durability of the tyres."We made some decent steps," said Newey, Red Bull's chief technical officer. "We actually introduced quite a few parts to the car, some of them in Hungary.Play mediaSebastian Vettel - the season so far"And really Hungary was one that got away for us in as much as I feel that was a weekend we didn't manage to deliver the full potential of the car, partly through set-up, although partly what ruined our race, of course, was Seb getting stuck behind Jenson."

http://www.thescuderia.net/forums/sh...-Pirelli-NEWEY